Robert Hagg Re-signs with the Flyers (report: 2 years at $1.15 million cap hit per season)

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Not surprised by the signing. I don't mind Hagg as a 3rd pairing dman. Will be interesting to see the pairings come opening night

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hfboards server crash incoming.

eg9kUIV.png

tenor.gif

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I don't think Hagg has much room to grow so this is a pretty good deal for both parties. I don't mind it one bit, wouldn't be surprised if Hextall moves him for a draft pick after someone pushes for a roster spot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only way Hagg sees top four minutes is Sanheim spent the summer on the beach getting sand kicked on him and shows up brain dead, Myers sprains his pinkie in TC, and Gudas can't find his mojo.

Reactions: marcsson68

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem is that no matter how good other players are, this idiot coach will overplay our worst defensemen because he fetishizes hits and grit.

Doesn’t matter that he’s a liability in all three zones and we have 7 or 8 defensemen who are already clearly better than him. He’ll be overused because the coach can’t do his job.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Completely fine deal for a depth defenseman entering his 23 year old, 2nd NHL season. People forget his playing time actually went down in the second half & he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All kidding aside though, this is a bad signing. The guy played like a middle of the lineup AHLer and got more than league minimum. It won’t make a difference to the cap, but you can’t say this isn’t an overpayment.

Even if someone still thinks he can improve, despite all logic being against that, the fact is he B O M B E D hard last year and didn’t get paid what he’s actually worth.

The biggest issue is it opens the door for Hakstol to continue being a huge detriment by giving him another brick to throw into the washing machine.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
No problem with the deal. He's been paid like what he is, a 6/7th defenseman. Hopefully Morin can get healthy and take this JAG's job.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s during the long summer I forget how irrational the hatred for certain players can be.

Hagg is OK and that’s fine. He doesn’t have to be a top pairing guy or even second pairing. The glass thing he constantly does is clearly coaching, he’s an adequate serviceable cheap third pairing guy. We don’t always need to have a scapegoat.

source.gif

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
After logging the minutes he did as a rookie hagg was due for more than the minimum. Its fair money for a 3rd pairing guy. If hagg improves this year it'll look even better.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When people say "3rd pairing" or "6/7" do they realize that he was used as a top 4 defensemen last year?

And ability-wise he was AHL level.

So he's neither of those things, in either usage or ability.

Reactions: kelmitchell

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Morin and Hagg are great signings for #6/#7 roles. Cut bait with Gudas and Macdonald and get a real top 4 dmen and this team is going to be lethal on the back end

Ghost/Provy
Myers/????? (elite top 4 )
Sanheim/Morin
Hagg

Reactions: TheKingPin

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Third pairing money for a third pairing player who is still young and coachable (to a degree it makes him play worse) and he remains a RFA once the contract is up.

It's not like Hägg was even blocking Myers from graduating ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad