Prospect Info: Robert Hagg [March 2014: AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You don't win games by playing in the defensive zone.
It's really not that difficult of a concept. Even if Hagg is an All-World defender in his own zone (he's not), there are still 4 other guys that can f*** up coverages that lead to goals. Over the long run, if you defend a lot, the other team team is going to score goals. It's inevitable. Also when you are playing defense, your team can't score. And when Hagg (and AMac) is always playing with our top 6, that is an issue. Couturier and Giroux were neutralized yesterday because they were chasing the puck all day. You can't count on the team shooting 10% with Hagg on the ice.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's really not that difficult of a concept. Even if Hagg is an All-World defender in his own zone (he's not), there are still 4 other guys that can **** up coverages that lead to goals. Over the long run, if you defend a lot, the other team team is going to score goals. It's inevitable. Also when you are playing defense, your team can't score. And when Hagg (and AMac) is always playing with our top 6, that is an issue. Couturier and Giroux were neutralized yesterday because they were chasing the puck all day. You can't count on the team shooting 10% with Hagg on the ice.

Hence why I'm always baffled by some. Also why I never understood why some people were/are so low on Ghost (I'm a big fan admittedly), since he's definitely the best passer on the back end. You've got to score at least one goal to win. I've always felt you either have the offensive abilities in you or you don't, the other side of the game is much easier to find for players. Couturier being a rare exception but even then he's not exactly sniping goals in left and right.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ideally, you want 6 Provorovs.
Realistically, we may end up with Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers.
The other three will be Gudas, Hagg, Morin and eventually Hogberg/Friedman.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Gostisbehere, Gostisbehere, and Gostisbehere need Provorov, Provorov, Provorov, and Provorov to cover their defensive lapses

Reactions: Striiker

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Ideally, you want 6 Provorovs.
Realistically, we may end up with Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers.
The other three will be Gudas, Hagg, Morin and eventually Hogberg/Friedman.

I think you really discredit how much better Ghost is at moving the puck compared to Provorov. Provorov isn't a slouch by any means but so many of Ghost's passes are puck on stick time and time again. The ability to distribute the puck is a skill for a defenseman is one that is over shadow by being physical. I don't yearn for the days of errant passing. Also I won't go into Ghost's shot either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nah. If you put Hagg with Gudas and Sanheim in with Manning or MacDonald, we'd be good.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We'd be far from good. Having one of them in the lineup is not ideal, having multiple is a problem. Then consider how much they play...

The biggest issue is the mentality it shows. Accepting players like that means they don't get what's needed in the present day NHL. You can't be braindead, lacking skill, and average (at best) at everything else.

If it was actually true that Hakstol was using them as a last resort, that'd be fine. But it's obviously not true as soon as you look at how much they're playing and who they're playing ahead of. Look at Gudas... a real top 4 defensemen who was pushed to the third pair to make room for the garbage.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas was playing "soft" after his suspension, a soft Gudas is not a top 4 defenseman.
Since the new year he's regained his edge and is playing better.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Awesome player and only 21yrs old. Morin up next and a trade for OEL and were solid for years.

giphy.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In the end, Hagg would get little grief if he was on the 3rd pairing and used that way AND was replacing AMac or Manning.

He just is not a better all around hockey player than Sanheim or Morin....but neither are AMac or Manning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad