Prospect Info: Robert Hagg [March 2014: AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
To be fair, I see one poor play.

Yep. This can also be done with every single defender on our team (someone like manning abit more ;) )

Luckily this board is still split 50/50 on Hagg and he hasnt approached the Manning/MacD level luckily.... even though some are really pushing for it haha.

Reactions: Alchemy and JXC

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Those are like the 6 plays that stick out in my head where I go "Holy ****, they're playing like **** tonight" but, It's Andy and Robert just being lost.
You may have some cognitive bias going on there.
Or maybe I do. That’s what you’ll think, regardless.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Okay, maybe it;s me but:
1. sliding across the ice, pulling himself out of position. Better than Macd sliding into the boards and missing the play entirely but not a stellar play.
2. Hagg (8) in deep on the left wall with no forward rotating back, and 47 high on that side. Considering it's Coots, G & TK up front, and coots is below the goal line, I tend to blame this one squarely on Hagg for over committing
3. Hagg over-commits again, coming from the middle of the ice to pin a forward high on the right wall. Left the middle wide open for the breakaway chance.
4. Looks more like Macd is the problem - where is the defenseman on the right side? Patrick came back late, but 2 forwards bracketing the goalie. And Hagg allowed the other forward inside position on him, so he was again, not stellar.
5. RW took off early and a takeaway on the left wall. Not gonna kill either 8 or 47 for this one.
6. Hagg took a stick to the face from Bertuzzi, who then took a Gudas-chop at Filp. No criticism I'm going to levy here.

By my count, the last 2 are not an issue on him, then 2 real rookie mistakes and 2 bad plays, even for a rookie. Now the question: would plays 1, 2, 3, & 4, individually or in combination, get either Sanheim or Ghost benched? My watching of Hak tells me "yes."

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Never claimed these plays were all a result of Hagg. Since people didn't like numbers I thought video might work better to show why +/- is not a good stat. Detroit literally missed two empty nets with him on the ice.
Well lets analyze it..
1st gif , Larkin chance, Hagg had one man in front of the net. Where was MacDonald.
2nd GIF, Couturier literally lost puck possession in Flyers zone.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
3 gif, he took the body along the boards, but Detroit player was able to pass.. I guess Hagg should of give that player even more time and space and once again where was MacDonald?
On one of the sequences he was back checking and Detroit player was unable to control the pass. Have to see how exactly play was developed. Hagg was back checking.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Never claimed these plays were all a result of Hagg.

3 gif, he took the body along the boards, but Detroit player was able to pass.. I guess Hagg should of give that player even more time and space and once again where was MacDonald?
Unnecessary hit completely took him out of the play. You can't drive a guy into the boards there. It did nothing but pad his stats.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yep. This can also be done with every single defender on our team (someone like manning abit more ;) )

Luckily this board is still split 50/50 on Hagg and he hasnt approached the Manning/MacD level luckily.... even though some are really pushing for it haha.
Agreed, Hagg made several good plays in those gifs. Sealed puck carrier, took the stick of defenders, aggressively tried to move out to block the pass, skated back hard when he got caught. I guess if you work hard, hit a lot, don't give up goals you're just lucky... :)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The most humorous part is the implication that Hagg was wrong for taking his man out with a body check while Weal didn’t cover his man.

Reactions: Alchemy

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Now, substitute Morin for Hagg, and these same plays, "crickets."
Because I suspect when Morin first plays on a regular basis, he's going to have a similar portfolio of GIFs.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Since couts has turned into 40 goal scorer and schenn is gone hagg has taken over the role of n1 controversial hockey boy.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Never claimed these plays were all a result of Hagg.
really ok.. I guess misunderstood.
Unnecessary hit completely took him out of the play. You can't drive a guy into the boards there. It did nothing but pad his stats.
Depends how you look at it. If Hagg would stayed back... It could actually get worse. Forward gets an opportunity to make a play, shoot the puck, passing facing play, make one on one move and then pass the puck or shoot the puck. Again, #47 was nowhere near to be found but looks like forwards did a decent job to back check.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Depends how you look at it. If Hagg would stayed back... It could actually get worse. Forward gets an opportunity to make a play, shoot the puck, passing facing play, make one on one move and then pass the puck or shoot the puck. Again, #47 was nowhere near to be found but looks like forwards did a decent job to back check.
Well we know going for the hit certainly didn't stop a scoring chance. He's the last man back going from his side of the ice all the way to the far boards. If he tries to contain or even just keep his stick on the ice maybe the pass doesn't get to Mantha and the play dies. Keep in mind this play comes directly off of a center ice faceoff after the Flyers just scored. That puck goes in, who knows what that does to the momentum of the game.

But again this wasn't the point of the clips. Every player makes multiple mistakes throughout the course of the game. But if you are a guy like Hagg who doesn't drive play and the other team has the puck a lot, eventually plays are going to break down even if Robert does everything right individually. He was +1 last night with no goals against, but Detroit had two separate chances that get converted at a 90+% clip.

Reactions: Striiker

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Morin's got a long reach and strong skating. He can paste people hits, but I think he'll be strongest in reach advantage. Hagg, by comparison, is an average skater and seems to forget that hockey involves a puck

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin is a strong straight line skater.
His reach will be an advantage defensively, but it may make him vulnerable to being stripped.
I expect similar growing pains.

Reactions: JXC

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Luckily Morin hasn't been stagnant (or at least, hasn't been stagnant or taking steps backwards) for years. He's been steadily improving.

As long as there's obvious improvement, being patient is easy. Like with Sanheim, there was obvious and undeniable improvement every year and even from the start of this year until Hakstol screwed him over.

If Morin doesn't get better for years then people will get impatient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->