Prospect Info: Robert Hagg [March 2014: AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Well we know going for the hit certainly didn't stop a scoring chance. He's the last man back going from his side of the ice all the way to the far boards. If he tries to contain or even just keep his stick on the ice maybe the pass doesn't get to Mantha and the play dies. Keep in mind this play comes directly off of a center ice faceoff after the Flyers just scored. That puck goes in, who knows what that does to the momentum of the game.

But again this wasn't the point of the clips. Every player makes multiple mistakes throughout the course of the game. But if you are a guy like Hagg who doesn't drive play and the other team has the puck a lot, eventually plays are going to break down even if Robert does everything right individually. He was +1 last night with no goals against, but Detroit had two separate chances that get converted at a 90+% clip.
It did stop scoring chance. Forward did not connect pass but he probably would have if he had space. I mean if this was Haggs 3-4 year in the league but this is his 1st year he is giving huge amount of time (more than he can handle) and he plays with MacDonald. Look at all negativity in this thread.

Reactions: JXC

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It did stop scoring chance. Forward did not connect pass but he probably would have if he had space. I mean if this was Haggs 3-4 year in the league but this is his 1st year he is giving huge amount of time (more than he can handle) and he plays with MacDonald. Look at all negativity in this thread.
Really? It did?

Reactions: Striiker

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Just re-watched it again... you seriously blaming Hagg there? ha ha
I'm not blaming Hagg for anything. Since you brought it up, I just think it was pointless to try and go for the hit there. What did it accomplish? Keep your stick on the ice. Maybe the pass still gets through, but maybe it doesn't and the play dies.

I'm done micro-analyzing every play. You are missing the point.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just re-watched it again... you seriously blaming Hagg there? ha ha

Yeah FLYguy, why are you blaming Hagg? :popcorn:

If you're not then you should let us know by making it obvious... maybe make the text big or something... and bold... maybe something like...

Never claimed these plays were all a result of Hagg.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Yeah FLYguy, why are you blaming Hagg? :popcorn:

If you're not then you should let us know by making it obvious... maybe make the text big or something... and bold... maybe something like...
OO this is not "I hate Hagg thread?". :sarcasm:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Outstanding rookie season so far for this one way defenseman.

Woman-Falls-Ice-Skating-Backwards.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg has been gradually taking more chances on offense, and his passing is crispier the last few weeks.
Incremental improvement, he's not going to be Provorov, but hopefully a bigger more consistent version of Gudas some day.

One reason he plays is he's strong enough to physically take on big forwards behind the net and in the corners, MacDonald isn't strong enough, Gudas has lost his mean streak, and Manning tries but isn't great at it. He was battling with the Sens forwards all afternoon.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He is still missing so many easy breakout passes -- if he does pass it and not just blindly fling it. He did today.

Here are his stats pre and post new year:

Pre: 8.6 iCF/60, 2.3 iSCF/60, 0.7 rebounds/60

His shot rate has increased paired with MacDonald, but it's not like it's leading to anything. They're just usually unscreened shots and low danger chances that end possession, often when there's a better play available if he had any poise/hockey sense with the puck. He made a nice play today. Singular. We can laugh and give him credit for it without acting like it's a precursor for things to come. Every dog has their day (and another one did today!). But Hagg didn't do anything crazy. Borowiecki whiffed on his hit, Hagg is a strong kid, he skated in, made a nice shot. /fin

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hagg has been gradually taking more chances on offense, and his passing is crispier the last few weeks.
Incremental improvement, he's not going to be Provorov, but hopefully a bigger more consistent version of Gudas some day.

One reason he plays is he's strong enough to physically take on big forwards behind the net and in the corners, MacDonald isn't strong enough, Gudas has lost his mean streak, and Manning tries but isn't great at it. He was battling with the Sens forwards all afternoon.
I really liked the play he made in the slot vs. CBJ the other night, bumping Big Boone Jenner out of the slot like he was hitting a little kid. Very strong on his skates.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad