Prospect Info: Robert Hagg [March 2014: AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Jesus Christ... My point was that Hagg doesn't belong in that territory. Hagg has been extraordinarily lucky to not be on ice for many more GA. Most of the other players have experienced some luck, but they also contribute a whole lot more to play in the offensive and defensive zones.
I think you’re underrating Hagg. Best +/- in only 58 games on the Phantoms. Best +/- among Flyers D despite disadvantageous zone starts.
He’s not as bad as you think. I agree he should be a third pair blue liner btw.

Reactions: JXC

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Wait he’s playing top 4 minutes at 22, has this great plus/minus, will improve, but he’s a 5/6 in the future? o_O

Clueless.
For such a brilliant academic, you really misunderstood the Corsi-zone starts article. And yeah, I don’t follow stats like your God, though I use them. I’ve always said Hagg is a solid 3rd pairing defenseman.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was “contrarian” when I disliked the Filppula trade.

The trade was still good at the time. We've been over this.

It only looks questionable because he is being overused due to Girouxs switch to LW and Patrick not quite being ready for 2C.

These weren't factors at the time of the trade. He slotted in at 3C and performed fine.

Combine that indisputable fact with the 2 draft picks that netted us Maksim Sushko and Wyatt Kalynuk, both long-shots but intriguing prospects nonetheless, and it's a no-brainer that the trade was a good one and it's a no-brainer that you were wrong.

Then there is the outside chance we trade Filppula at the deadline and recoup even more assets. I would imagine that worst we could squeeze a 3rd and 4th out of a team looking to boost center depth for a playoff run.

Reactions: Curufinwe

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For such a brilliant academic, you really misunderstood the Corsi-zone starts article. And yeah, I don’t follow stats like your God, though I use them. I’ve always said Hagg is a solid 3rd pairing defenseman.
The only people worse than people with shitty opinions are people with shitty opinions that are also ignorant. If you do not know what Corsi or PDO represent, that is fine, but I suggest you avoid commenting on such topics because you look like a fool.

If you think Hagg is a 5/6 in the future you are saying one or a combination of the following:

1. He hasn't played that well this season
2. His on ice shooting percentages are not sustainable
3. He won't improve beyond this season

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The only people worse than people with ****ty opinions are people with ****ty opinions that are also ignorant. If you do not know what Corsi or PDO represent, that is fine, but I suggest you avoid commenting on such topics because you look like a fool.

If you think Hagg is a 5/6 in the future you are one or a combination of the following:

1. He hasn't played that well this season
2. His on ice shooting percentages are not sustainable
3. He won't improve beyond this season
Your God is stats that say Weise & Read were top 6 Flyers last season. Open your mind a little.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
What he doesn’t realize is that every time he says this, he’s actually an advocate for Corsi.
You treat a stat that rates Weise & Read as top 6 Flyers, & Sanheim as better than Provorov & Doughty, as God. That’s prima facile ridiculous. Add some context.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Only take Corsi as a measure of Haggs play when Hakstol asks him to become a puck moving Dman. That is not his game and should not be his game. He may be able to develop into a 2-away if he becomes a big part of their future, but they should keep him as a defensive Dman.

Hagg, right now, doesn't have the ability to puck handle in the ozone. He will get in trouble if he tried to do that at the blue line because if he has a giveaway, his speed is too slow to catch up. He should really only be dropping the puck in or making seem passes to players down low which he does now. Andrew Macdonald has the worst Corsi on the team and that may be due to Hagg being his partner, but neither player should be counted on to generate offense since that's not their game.

Hagg is great in his own zone. That's why Hak loves him. He's reliable in front of the goalie and in the Dzone. Not many goals happen when he's on the ice which is why his +\- is so high. He blocks shots, separates players from the puck through hitting/stick checking/ and zone covereage by disrupting passes. He will be solid in his own zone and has shown that which is why he gets PK time.

He is not a 4th forward, he won't produce like one, he won't play like one, so to all the people that make comparisons of his game to that of a 4th forward (Sanheim and Ghost) you cannot do that because he doesn't play that way. You can compare their defensive game because that is their position. Corsi is for who generates offense. Hagg isn't supposed to generate offense... he's supposed to suppress opposing offense which he does real well.

Reactions: Larry44

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Strong defensive outing from him today when Farmer was doing absolutely everything he could to avoid contact. That sequence late in the third where he didnt go for a puck behind the net was the most gutless thing ive seen from a flyer ever.

Say what you want about Hagg. But when you know your team is going to be hemmed in their own zone all game, hes pretty bloody usefull to have.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Hagg allows play to settle in his own zone. He's punishing when he's got no more space to retreat.

I don't want any players on defense who play like that. It's Dead Puck bull shiet

Reactions: Vikke

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Hagg allows play to settle in his own zone. He's punishing when he's got no more space to retreat.

I don't want any players on defense who play like that. It's Dead Puck bull shiet

But how much of that is Hagg and how much of that is the coaching he's receiving? After all, Gord Murphy played during the dead puck era, so it only makes sense that Gord is teaching that philosophy to the young defensemen (yet another reason why Murphy should be crap canned).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But how much of that is Hagg and how much of that is the coaching he's receiving? After all, Gord Murphy played during the dead puck era, so it only makes sense that Gord is teaching that philosophy to the young defensemen (yet another reason why Murphy should be crap canned).
It's just Hagg.

Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, Sanheim, and even Manning have no problem being aggressive. If they all did it then I'd but it was the coaching, but Haggs had the same issues for years.

Reactions: whitstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas wasn't much of a puck mover when he was a rookie, either.
At least give a player (who is all of 22) a year or two to prove there's no upside.
Are you in a hurry?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hagg gets too much hate.
And I like Flyguy. He’s intelligent. He saves our posts. I think he misunderstood the Corsi article re: short term, but it happens. He’s a good guy.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hagg gets too much hate.
And I like Flyguy. He’s intelligent. He saves our posts. I think he misunderstood the Corsi article re: short term, but it happens. He’s a good guy.
It's because he is in a way of sanheim and morin, even though it's manning sanheim gets scratched for and amac that sees top penalty kill time that is presumably the role Morin is destined to.

I think it's the braintrust of lappy, hak and gord murphy whose fault it is.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If it’s because of Sanheim or Morin or anyone other than Hagg, why are many of the same people saying he’s been terrible the ones who didn’t like him as a prospect post-draft?

Disagreeing is fine — healthy, even. I just don’t understand the need for these logical pretzels.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If it’s because of Sanheim or Morin or anyone other than Hagg, why are many of the same people saying he’s been terrible the ones who didn’t like him as a prospect post-draft?

Disagreeing is fine — healthy, even. I just don’t understand the need for these logical pretzels.
Yep.

I argued with people about him all summer, but now I'm only against him because he was put on the team over Sanheim and Morin? So am I psychic or something? I was mad about it months before it happened? OK then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad