Rob Ray suing the NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Madevilz said:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=109360

"Ray believes the NHLPA might have shut him out as punishment after he said in October that he would be willing to cross the line and return playing if the NHL used replacement players."

Honestly, is anyone surprised by this? Im no fan of Rob Ray, but the PA have shown themselves to be nothing more than a bunch of thugs. I would expect nothing less from Goodenow than to screw players who dont tow the Union line.

Good for Ray. Sue the PA's pants off.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
I think we now know how the NHLPA is influencing people to "change their quotes"

Ray was one of the only guys who wasnt "misquotted." And then you find out, the NHLPA wont pay him lock out money, that im sure the 9 mil a season players are recieving.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
scaredsensfan said:
oh yes, the owners have nothing close to a thug mentality, only a millino dollar fine if you speak out against their cause... yawn.

wtf are you talking about.
They fine the owners who spoke out against the NHLPA :shakehead

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Madevilz said:
wtf are you talking about.
They fine the owners who spoke out against the NHLPA :shakehead

LoL

i was about to say the same thing. They Fined owners who FURTHERED their cause. They dont want the owners speaking for or against anything.

the NHLPA has no problem with Players furthering their cause, just with the ones who dont back them.

Wetcoaster

Madevilz said:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=109360

"Ray believes the NHLPA might have shut him out as punishment after he said in October that he would be willing to cross the line and return playing if the NHL used replacement players."

IIRC from an earlier story on the NHLPA stipend, the NHLPA said not all members will qualify. It required that you had to play a certain number of games (or be on injured reserve) over the past year and Rob Ray played in only six games after "unretiring".

A Good Flying Bird*

Wetcoaster said:
IIRC from an earlier story on the NHLPA stipend, the NHLPA said not all members will qualify. It required that you had to play a certain number of games (or be on injured reserve) over the past year and Rob Ray played in only six games after "unretiring".

Ssshhh ..

Don't try to bring up anything that might force people to think before hating.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
From the article:
"It is our understanding that each NHL player who has played 400 or more career NHL games and finished last season on an NHL roster is eligible to receive the stipend and medical benefits," Elibol said. "He is clearly eligible, but the NHLPA has cast him aside."

Assuming that the lawyer is correct (and lets be honest, I assume it wouldn't be difficult to get this information from the PA), then Ray has a case.

MacDaddy TLC*

scaredsensfan said:
oh yes, the owners have nothing close to a thug mentality, only a millino dollar fine if you speak out against their cause... yawn.
It is too bad the players Association didn't do the same. It would have saved a lot of wasted ink on stupid comments as well as the occasional retraction.

Wetcoaster

Egil said:
From the article:

Assuming that the lawyer is correct (and lets be honest, I assume it wouldn't be difficult to get this information from the PA), then Ray has a case.

My recollection from an earlier report is that he is not correct. There was a certain number of games needed for the past season if you finished on a roster at year end.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Well how about you find said article and make your case, as opposed to making a "I believe" statement which simply confuses the issue, while, unfortunately, not shedding any light on the situation due to its vagueness.

So, unless you actually attempt to back up your statement, I will believe the Lawyer (who if you are correct is launching a beyond frivilous lawsuit) over some annonymous internet user.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Wetcoaster said:
My recollection from an earlier report is that he is not correct. There was a certain number of games needed for the past season if you finished on a roster at year end.

TSN must have not read that report or they just left it out because they, too, are on the owners side.

A Good Flying Bird*

Egil said:
Well how about you find said article and make your case, as opposed to making a "I believe" statement which simply confuses the issue, while, unfortunately, not shedding any light on the situation due to its vagueness.

So, unless you actually attempt to back up your statement, I will believe the Lawyer (who if you are correct is launching a beyond frivilous lawsuit) over some annonymous internet user.

1. Who are you challenging here? I have no idea who you are talking to.

2. Lawyers tend to give one side of the story. You can't believe OJ's lawyer and believe the the prosecution lawyer.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Wetcoaster said:

Rob Ray has played more than 400 games.
Rob Ray was on the OTT roster last year.
Rob Ray is not retired.
Rob Ray hasn't collected a pension.
Rob Ray has paid his union dues....
THUS he is eligable for the lockout stipend.
Sue their ass Ray! :handclap:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Newsguy, I am talking to westcoaster.

Just think. If their is a # of games played last year requirement (which seems odd due to injuries and such, but whatever) that Rob Ray did not meet, then why would you sue? What do you possibly hope to gain by launching a lawsuit that is going to get tossed out of court?

Now, take the lawyers statement, the fact that they are actually filling a law suit, and that the ONLY contrary information we have is someones "recollection" from a previous article that we can't verify ourselves, who should we believe?

A Good Flying Bird*

Egil said:

Just think. If their is a # of games played last year requirement (which seems odd due to injuries and such, but whatever) that Rob Ray did not meet, then why would you sue? What do you possibly hope to gain by launching a lawsuit that is going to get tossed out of court?

Now, take the lawyers statement, the fact that they are actually filling a law suit, and that the ONLY contrary information we have is someones "recollection" from a previous article that we can't verify ourselves, who should we believe?

Why does anyone sue, egil?

He might interpret the rules different than the PA.

Or maybe the PA is legitimately trying to screw him for saying he'd gladly be a scab player in the NHL.
Although I doubt the PA would be that stupid knowing they are already losing the PR battle. Another headline about a player breaking ranks, no matter how terrible a player he is and how much of a backstabber he is, is not what the union wants or needs.

Then again, maybe Rob Ray has been promised a front office job if he screws the union.

Anyway, I'm not sure, but I'm sure we'll here the other side soon enough.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
I LOVE IT! :yo:

You go Ray! Do what you do best, and kick some A$$!

I loved this guy when he was in Buffalo. He came to play every game and did what he could because he loved the game. Now, he is still sticking up for the game. I wish all players had half of this guys heart!

Wetcoaster

Egil said:

If you read my post I pointed out the injured reserve issue. Also note I did not claim it to be absolutely true, I just noted that I recalled seeing something previously and that it was more than just so many career games.

As far as I can recall it was in a story in the Vancouver Sun or Province by one of the hockey columnists but unfortunately those newspapers do not archive their articles to the general public. I checked but was unable to locate the article.

I assume we will have a response from the NHLPA shortly and then I will know if I was correct or just going senile.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
I take it Rob Ray won't be crossing a picket line then.

At a later date, if circumstances dictate, he's free to do as he wants (even if it means going against the Union's ideology). But as of right now, as a card-carrying NHLPA member, he's entitled to everything other union members of his standing have coming to them.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
windowlicker said:
At a later date, if circumstances dictate, he's free to do as he wants (even if it means going against the Union's ideology). But as of right now, as a card-carrying NHLPA member, he's entitled to everything other union members of his standing have coming to them.

Not if it has been determined that he's no longer a Member in Good Standing, which I suppose would be the crux of the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad