Rob Ray suing the NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Also, don't rule out the possibility of enhanced buyout packages for players under contract, (but near retirement) when a settlement is reached. Assuming a salary cap is in place, the result of which would be twofold.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
mudcrutch79 said:
Peca, I generally like your posts, but this board would be better off if people refrained from commenting on legal issues if they don't have a legal background, beyond I like this or don't like that. It just creates confusion.

That would shut down most of this board. :lol

Seriously though, this entire discussion on Ray, not to mention Bertuzzi, Heatley, and pretty much the entire CBA, they're all legal issues fundamentally.

And personally, I think the law could use a little common sense. The recent NBA decision where they ruled the basketball player's suspension was invalid because it was "off court" activity because they physically left the game to attack the fans is just insane. In my humble opinion.

Wetcoaster

mudcrutch79 said:
Peca, I generally like your posts, but this board would be better off if people refrained from commenting on legal issues if they don't have a legal background, beyond I like this or don't like that. It just creates confusion.

Having a law degree, being a lawyer or even being a judge is no guarantee that you are right - that is why there are two sides to a dispute and why we have appeal courts.

What it generally means at least you can frame the issues and find the statutes and case law that applies. Reasoning from that is a whole other issue.

Besides it is hilarious to watch some posters try to "think like a lawyer" when they have not a clue about what the law may be. :lol

Wetcoaster

PecaFan said:
And personally, I think the law could use a little common sense. The recent NBA decision where they ruled the basketball player's suspension was invalid because it was "off court" activity because they physically left the game to attack the fans is just insane. In my humble opinion.

And where would the fun in that be????????????????

Much of law is interpretation of language and how it may apply to particular facts. That is what legal reasoning is all about.

That is why you spend three years in law school, a year of articles in Canada (aka slavery) and the pass the bar examinations.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
Does that mean Rob Rays opinion that hes knows lots of players who would play as replacement players does too?

2.3. Conflicts. No player directly or indirectly shall represent any other player in the League except through the NHLPA, or have any financial interest or participation in any entity that represents players except the NHLPA.

He shouldn't be speaking on their behalf.

Wetcoaster

Bicycle Repairman said:
2.3. Conflicts. No player directly or indirectly shall represent any other player in the League except through the NHLPA, or have any financial interest or participation in any entity that represents players except the NHLPA.

He shouldn't be speaking on their behalf.

That is an agent rule - it has nothing to do with this situation.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
He wasnt representing them, he was expressing his own opnion that he personally knows dozens of players that would cross a picket line.
Thank you for agreeing with me. Obviously, he hasn't set up an "agent for hire" shingle. Rob Ray was indeed speaking only for himself (though judging by his flip flopping, nobody else seems to understand what the heck he's prattling on about).

A guy who's suing the NHLPA most certainly will be viewed as a pariah by his peers from that point forward.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
I think youre confused, if you agree that Domis opinion should be respected then you must agree that Rays should too, he knows lots of players who would cross the picket line ahead of him, if he personally knows lots then its logical to assume there are hundreds around the league that will do the same. Then its logical to see that the NHLPA is totally split.

Or do you only believe players should be taken notice of when they support your views?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
I think youre confused, if you agree that Domis opinion should be respected then you must agree that Rays should too, he knows lots of players who would cross the picket line ahead of him, if he personally knows lots then its logical to assume there are hundreds around the league that will do the same. Then its logical to see that the NHLPA is totally split.

Tie Domi was on that NHLPA WorldStars team. Why do you think they invited him? Because he scores lots of goals? :shakehead

What I think of Tie Domi is immaterial to the discussion. It's what his peers think of him that counts.

Rob Ray has said a bunch of things and then backtracked on them. If he says he knows ten guys who have committed at this stage to cross a picket line, why should anyone believe him?It's laughable that you think he's leading an underground army of disgruntled NHLPA members.

Why wasn't Ray at that NHLPA meeting to face the music/recruit compatriots? Buffalo isn't that far from Toronto. The union would have even paid his expenses. Ray's been to them before, he knows how it works.

Pierre Dagenais showed his face. Of course Dagnenais merely expressed an opinion that he'd play under a salary cap. He also refused to retract his comments, and it was left at that.

Hardly sounds like the ruthless dictatorship torn asunder you're so fervently hoping for.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
I havent seen Ray backtrack from anything.

The NHLPA got to most of the others who spoke out against their beliefs, they didnt get to Ray so they stopped his money.

This is nothing short of extortion.

Again, if you believe anyones comments have validity purely because they are NHL players, you must believe that Ray is right and lots of players will cross the picket line, therefor the NHLPA is in real trouble.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
I havent seen Ray backtrack from anything.

"I'm retired. No, I'm not retired. Yes, I am retired."

"I'm crossing the picket line. No, I'm not. Maybe I will afterall. No I probably won't."

Steve L said:
The NHLPA got to most of the others who spoke out against their beliefs, they didnt get to Ray so they stopped his money.

"Got" to? You mean contacted them to discuss the situation? To explain union policy?

You're not one of these silly people who naively believes a picket crosser is entitled to strike pay during a work stoppage?

Steve L said:
Again, if you believe anyones comments have validity purely because they are NHL players...

I was challenged to provided the name of a NHLPA member who spoke out publicly against Rob Ray. I did.

Sammy*

Bicycle Repairman said:
"I'm retired. No, I'm not retired. Yes, I am retired."

"I'm crossing the picket line. No, I'm not. Maybe I will afterall. No I probably won't."

"Got" to? You mean contacted them to discuss the situation? To explain union policy?

You're not one of these silly people who naively believes a picket crosser is entitled to strike pay during a work stoppage?

I was challenged to provided the name of a NHLPA member who spoke out publicly against Rob Ray. I did.
Hey apologist,
I dont recall Ray crossing any picket line. Please let me know if he did.
And by the way, please enlighten us again on union policy.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Sammy said:
Hey apologist,
I dont recall Ray crossing any picket line. Please let me know if he did.
And by the way, please enlighten us again on union policy.

There's a labour dispute going on. If you say you're going to defect to the other side, then you're crossing the line. Doesn't have to be games being played. That's why you don't see NHLPA members involved in off-ice promotional work for their respective teams right now.

There isn't a union in existence that monetarily rewards line crossers (why is this continually being argued?). In fact, it's beyond a mere union policy. It's law.

Sammy*

Bicycle Repairman said:
There's a labour dispute going on. If you say you're going to defect to the other side, then you're crossing the line. Doesn't have to be games being played. That's why you don't see NHLPA members involved in off-ice promotional work for their respective teams right now.

There isn't a union in existence that monetarily rewards line crossers (why is this continually being argued?). In fact, it's beyond a mere union policy. It's law.
So I take from your non response that notwithstanding your implication that he did, Ray did not cross the picket line, & you dont have anything resembling union policy.
Great, keep em coming, your posts are very informative. Problem is ,you just make things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad