Rob Ray suing the NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellHockey*

Egil said:
From the article:
"It is our understanding that each NHL player who has played 400 or more career NHL games and finished last season on an NHL roster is eligible to receive the stipend and medical benefits," Elibol said. "He is clearly eligible, but the NHLPA has cast him aside."

Assuming that the lawyer is correct (and lets be honest, I assume it wouldn't be difficult to get this information from the PA), then Ray has a case.

They might have changed the article but I don't see that quote in the article.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
scaredsensfan said:
oh yes, the owners have nothing close to a thug mentality, only a millino dollar fine if you speak out against their cause... yawn.

Why do you keep humiliating yourself? There's no million dollar fine and they fine owners regardless of whether they speak against NHLPA or NHL.

Get your facts straight.

Wetcoaster

Pepper said:
Why do you keep humiliating yourself? There's no million dollar fine and they fine owners regardless of whether they speak against NHLPA or NHL.

Get your facts straight.

I suggest you take your own advice.

Yes there is a million dollar fine according to Bettman himself. And team owners are forbidden from talking about the collective bargaining agreement and its process, the length of the lockout and what the league-wide economics are on pain of being hit with the million dollar fine.

If you had listened to the CBC National interview with Bettman you would have heard that admission and it has been reported.

Feel humiliated now?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
I suggest you take your own advice.

Yes there is a million dollar fine according to Bettman himself. And team owners are forbidden from talking about the collective bargaining agreement and its process, the length of the lockout and what the league-wide economics are on pain of being hit with the million dollar fine.

If you had listened to the CBC National interview with Bettman you would have heard that admission and it has been reported.

Feel humiliated now?

Not at all but thanks for asking.

The fine that Atlanta part owner was $250K according to several reports, not a million.

Like I said, the fine is given for discussing the CBA in general, regardless of what they say, they DON'T fine owners for speaking against their cause like the poster I replied to claimed.

Learn to read.

Wetcoaster

Pepper said:
Not at all but thanks for asking.

The fine that Atlanta part owner was $250K according to several reports, not a million.

Like I said, the fine is given for discussing the CBA in general, regardless of what they say, they DON'T fine owners for speaking against their cause like the poster I replied to claimed.

Learn to read.

The maximum fine is $1 million, Bettman was clear. Just because he has not imposed it yet does not mean it is not available.

Are you claiming that Bettman does not have the authority to fine an owner $1 million?

Again take your own advice.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
The maximum fine is $1 million, Bettman was clear. Just because he has not imposed it yet does not mean it is not available.

Are you claiming that Bettman does not have the authority to fine an owner $1 million?

Again take your own advice.

If the maximum fine for speeding is 100.000$, does that mean that you'll get fined 100.000$ if you speed? Hell no.

So far the fine has been $250K which is not the same as $1M as even you probably noticed, Bettman might have the authority to take the fines that high but so far he hasn't done that so it's only speculation that owners get fined $1M.

So maybe this time you got it

Wetcoaster

Pepper said:
If the maximum fine for speeding is 100.000$, does that mean that you'll get fined 100.000$ if you speed? Hell no.

So far the fine has been $250K which is not the same as $1M as even you probably noticed, Bettman might have the authority to take the fines that high but so far he hasn't done that so it's only speculation that owners get fined $1M.

So maybe this time you got it

No speculation. Bettman was clear he has the authority to fine an owner $1 million.

So maybe this time YOU get it.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
No speculation. Bettman was clear he has the authority to fine an owner $1 million.

man you're thick, he might have the authority of fine them up to $1M but so far he has fined only one owner and for $250K.

Just because he CAN do it doesn't mean he WILL do it (=fine $1M that is).

Some of you pro-PA people are really thickheaded.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Wetcoaster said:

you didn't read the post at all did you? Littering carries a maximum 2000 dollar fine, yet you will never see somebody get fined 2000 big ones now will you. He has the authority yes, but it has never, and probably never will be used.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
This is just more evidence that the NHLPA is just a glorified mob. If you speak out against us you can expect a visit within 24 hours to strongarm you into retracting it. If you still speak out against us then we will cut off your money.

It wouldnt surprise me if Goodenows nickname was Fat Tony.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
arnie said:
Apparently, the NHLPA, like the NHL, "fines" members who speak out.

Just a minor difference, but the OWNERS voted to give Bettman the authority to fine the owners. Did the NHLPA vote to not give this money when they feel like it or is this some guideline that Goodenow can bend any time he feels like it?

A Good Flying Bird*

arnie said:
Apparently, the NHLPA, like the NHL, "fines" members who speak out.

An allegation is an allegation.
There is nothing "apparent" about it.

Sammy*

djhn579 said:
Just a minor difference, but the OWNERS voted to give Bettman the authority to fine the owners. Did the NHLPA vote to not give this money when they feel like it or is this some guideline that Goodenow can bend any time he feels like it?
Still waiting for an answer from the apologists.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Did Rob Ray not retire at the end of the 2003 season? Did he not start a career in broadcasting? Is he receiving his pension? If he is receiving his pension is he entitled to lockout pay? Did Rob Ray only come back to play 6 games to reach the 900 game mark? Unlike current NHLer's has Rob Ray received his return of contributions? NHL players currently collecting have contributed to a special fund for the last 2 years, has Rob Ray? There is more here than meets the eye.

Sammy*

vanlady said:
Did Rob Ray not retire at the end of the 2003 season? Did he not start a career in broadcasting? Is he receiving his pension? If he is receiving his pension is he entitled to lockout pay? Did Rob Ray only come back to play 6 games to reach the 900 game mark? Unlike current NHLer's has Rob Ray received his return of contributions? NHL players currently collecting have contributed to a special fund for the last 2 years, has Rob Ray? There is more here than meets the eye.
Yeah ok.
Kinda odd then that the NHLPA has not responded ,like they always do, through the media.
Geez, I wonder why.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Kind of a side note but I wish more people expressed their opinions like Rob Ray did about this whole lockout. Whether you agree with his NHLPA beef or not, you have to appreciate that he cares for the game! It's thie biggest thing I see missing from all of this mess, people honestly caring about the game. I'd expect the owners not to truly care but a little surprised the players don't...or atleast don't seem to anyway.

"I think the players made a step and the owners made a step, but tiny steps aren't going to get us anywhere," Ray said. "I just think the game is way too fragile in a lot of places right now. And the chances of really causing some serious damage is huge.

"It's crazy to see," Ray added. "You don't want to see ... a game that you love more than just about anything be hurt like that."

A Good Flying Bird*

Sammy said:
Still waiting for an answer from the apologists.

Why don't you wait for the PA to file it's briefings in court.
How in the world are any of us supposed to know what happened until this gets to court?

YellHockey*

vanlady said:
Did Rob Ray not retire at the end of the 2003 season? Did he not start a career in broadcasting? Is he receiving his pension? If he is receiving his pension is he entitled to lockout pay? Did Rob Ray only come back to play 6 games to reach the 900 game mark?

Did the Senators sign him because they needed toughness or because ownership wanted a pawn to annoy the PA with during the lockout?

Lanny MacDonald*

BlackRedGold said:
Did the Senators sign him because they needed toughness or because ownership wanted a pawn to annoy the PA with during the lockout?

Holy conspiracy theory Batman! That may be the dumbest thing said during any of these lockout discussions! :lol

rwilson99

Bicycle Repairman said:
Not if it has been determined that he's no longer a Member in Good Standing, which I suppose would be the crux of the argument.

If Ray is no longer a member in good standing I'm sure it would be news to him. Wouldn't he be entitled to due process... a hearing.

Or is the NHLPA a gestapo organization without concern with it's rank and file members.

Decertify the union, bring back hockey.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
BlackRedGold said:

Man you have said some really dumb things but that one really takes the cake, lmao.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
rwilson99 said:
If Ray is no longer a member in good standing I'm sure it would be news to him. Wouldn't he be entitled to due process... a hearing.

Naturally.

The NHLPA is a fair and democratic organization.

Seems Ray has ignored conventional procedure and launched a lawsuit, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->