RNH or Seguin

Vic Rattlehead*

I'd wait 2 or 3 years of both being in the NHL before offering a factual opinion. Anything else is speculation and while one can be right, it is still a guess at this point.

This.

It's not at all surprising though that many people are ready to give Seguin the bust label despite only being 19 years old.

Can't wait to see him excel under a coach that embraces an offensive style (Julien won't last in Boston).

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I'd lean toward seguin. Having more weight is huge in the nhl. What worries me about RNH is he may never fill out. its completely genetics, and some people don't have a frame to support more weight gain.. I know people who are 6'1", work out daily, have tried everything to gain mass, and capped out at 175.

Also, I don't watch the Red Deer a lot, but I know seguin really didn't have a good supporting cast on the whalers. From the stats it looks like red deer are pretty stacked in comparison to Seguins Whalers team.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I'd lean toward seguin. Having more weight is huge in the nhl. What worries me about RNH is he may never fill out. its completely genetics, and some people don't have a frame to support more weight gain.. I know people who are 6'1", work out daily, have tried everything to gain mass, and capped out at 175.

Also, I don't watch the Red Deer a lot, but I know seguin really didn't have a good supporting cast on the whalers. From the stats it looks like red deer are pretty stacked in comparison to Seguins Whalers team.

Red Deer is no all-star team. RNH makes his players better by far. RNH will gain weight, and if he doesn't I am confident he can still do well in the NHL. And those people you know are not top prospects of the NHL.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
According to NHL.com and TSN.ca, Seguin and RNH are the same size (height and weight) going into their respective drafts.

6'1" and 170lbs

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
According to NHL.com and TSN.ca, Seguin and RNH are the same size (height and weight) going into their respective drafts.

6'1" and 170lbs

Wow, I thought Seguin weighed much more than that going into the draft.

Interesting fact for sure.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Wow, I thought Seguin weighed much more than that going into the draft.

Interesting fact for sure.
Seguin hit the gym pretty hard after he was eliminated from the playoffs. He and RNH will probably be around the same size when it's all said and done.

I don't know why Seguin is being talked about like he has size. For an offensive player he's pretty average and RNH will be the same. People saying a 17 year old doesn't have weight to gain are reaching. Seguin is proof that a scrawny kid can put on muscle if he's committed. Both players will be around 185 pounds in their prime...the difference is that Seguin is a bit of a perimeter player and RNH isn't. I'd say heart and determination are just as important as size in many ways. I've used this example a few times...Penner and Omark go into the corner. Who's coming away with the puck? The fact that it's even debatable proves my point. The player that wants it more usually wins and Nugent-Hopkins players like he wants it more.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
As much as I like Hall, I think RNH has a higher ceiling. But Hall is 10 times more likely to reach his imo.

I'd say Hall's ceiling isn't too far from RNH's. The way I see it:

Hall = 9.0 B-
RNH = 9.0 C
Seguin = 8.5 C+

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
I'd say Hall is on another level than RNH and Seguin.

If prospect grades had more intervals (I realized I used + and - for the letters), then I'd do:

Hall - 9.25
RNH - 9.0

I do believe Hall is on another level, but not that far ahead of RNH. I think RNH has the chance to be a Sakic type player (maybe not at the same level, but close), but the chances of him doing that are slimmer than Hall's chances of becoming an elite scorer.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

6'1" and 170lbs

I'm looking at my copy of THN's Draft Preview from last year, and it has Seguin at 6-1, 186. I also remember other outlets putting him at that same weight as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm looking at my copy of THN's Draft Preview from last year, and it has Seguin at 6-1, 186. I also remember other outlets putting him at that same weight as well.

That's more along what I remember as well. Seguin looked much thicker on the ice last year than RNH does this year.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
THIS!!! It doesn't matter if Seguin will be a better goal scorer than RNH because Hall>>>>>Seguin so why not have the player that best compliments him

Kinda premature to say this... Hall had far more opportunity and is a more NHL ready player. Seguin would probably have put up 40-45 points for Edmonton over 80 games, whereas Hall probably woulda gotten like 55. Thats a very negligible difference considering Hall's supposed to be more NHL ready. I might take Hall 1st overall, but if I were to pick based on potential it'd definitely be Seguin. I'd also take Seguin 1st overall in this draft. The only guy I'd consider taking ahead of him is Larsson.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Kinda premature to say this... Hall had far more opportunity and is a more NHL ready player. Seguin would probably have put up 40-45 points for Edmonton over 80 games, whereas Hall probably woulda gotten like 55. Thats a very negligible difference considering Hall's supposed to be more NHL ready. I might take Hall 1st overall, but if I were to pick based on potential it'd definitely be Seguin. I'd also take Seguin 1st overall in this draft. The only guy I'd consider taking ahead of him is Larsson.
I think that whole "more opportunities" argument is just an easy cop out. Hall may have got more ice time than Seguin but he also faced more adversity. He was the Oilers biggest offensive threat this season. He may have been handed a roster spot but he had to earn his ice time. He was benched a few times this season when he had a bad game. It's not like he could do no wrong in Tom Renney's eyes. Fortunately for him he scored goals at a 30 goal pace so he didn't have many off nights. He deserved everything he got this season...and when you're a teams biggest offensive threat, you have to go up against the oppositions best shutdown players. You can bet that already in his rookie season, Hall's name was circled before every game by the opposition. Also, while he may have been getting 1st line minutes, he wasn't playing on a real 1st line. Horcoff is a 3rd liner on most teams and while Eberle is a talent young player, he's still just a 2nd line talent at this point in his career...but teams still tried to shut them down like they were a real first line.

So to say Seguin would have DOUBLE the points this season had he been in Hall's situation is a huge assumption. Seguin had 22 points in 74 games. Hall had 22 goals in 64 games. To say the difference between these players is ice time is being really simple.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think that whole "more opportunities" argument is just an easy cop out. Hall may have got more ice time than Seguin but he also faced more adversity. He was the Oilers biggest offensive threat this season. He may have been handed a roster spot but he had to earn his ice time. He was benched a few times this season when he had a bad game. It's not like he could do no wrong in Tom Renney's eyes. Fortunately for him he scored goals at a 30 goal pace so he didn't have many off nights. He deserved everything he got this season...and when you're a teams biggest offensive threat, you have to go up against the oppositions best shutdown players. You can bet that already in his rookie season, Hall's name was circled before every game by the opposition. Also, while he may have been getting 1st line minutes, he wasn't playing on a real 1st line. Horcoff is a 3rd liner on most teams and while Eberle is a talent young player, he's still just a 2nd line talent at this point in his career...but teams still tried to shut them down like they were a real first line.

So to say Seguin would have DOUBLE the points this season had he been in Hall's situation is a huge assumption. Seguin had 22 points in 74 games. Hall had 22 goals in 64 games. To say the difference between these players is ice time is being really simple.

Yeah I'm not trying to use that as my main argument, and I agree that Hall would have done better no matter what, but their situations were just different. I don't think it can be used as an argument for who had a better season- its clear that Hall did, the if ands or buts don't matter. I'm just saying that it has to be taken into consideration if you are projecting what they'll end up as. It can't be used to take anything away from Hall, but the argument does give some more benefit of the doubt to Seguin. The point is, IF Seguin played for a team where he was good enough to play 1st or 2nd line center (EDM is one of the few teams where he would be) he likely would have produced more, and while Hall has already reached the top regarding what line he will play on, Seguin will inevitably improve and move up the depth chart. Hall is already at the top, so his improvements will just keep him there.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I also got to see a lot of Strome this year and if he becomes bigger... oh man will he be good. He is extremely fast, has a good shot, good passer, and not afraid of getting hit and will fight. He has a fantastic work-ethic aswell. I'd maybe consider taking Strome > Seguin aswell but I most likely wouldn't.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I also got to see a lot of Strome this year and if he becomes bigger... oh man will he be good. He is extremely fast, has a good shot, good passer, and not afraid of getting hit and will fight. He has a fantastic work-ethic aswell. I'd maybe consider taking Strome > Seguin aswell but I most likely wouldn't.

Your really underrating Seguin here, I think it's the leaf bias in you but there is no way Strome will be better then Seguin. RNH becoming better Seguin is up in the air and I can see why that's debatable but once Seguin is in a more offensive system and gets a chance to play, his numbers will shoot up.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Your really underrating Seguin here, I think it's the leaf bias in you but there is no way Strome will be better then Seguin. RNH becoming better Seguin is up in the air and I can see why that's debatable but once Seguin is in a more offensive system and gets a chance to play, his numbers will shoot up.

I was never high on Seguin and he got a lot of praise which bugged me because I don't think he was ever that good and if anything would have been happy to see Boston take him but I really don't care.

And how can you know for certain that Strome won't be as good as Seguin? I am sure you never though Jeffrey Skinner would have a better year than your first overall pick Hall... which I even called before the draft. That's because I have watched him play throughout almost his entire junior career in Kitchener. Kid's the real deal.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I was never high on Seguin and he got a lot of praise which bugged me because I don't think he was ever that good and if anything would have been happy to see Boston take him but I really don't care.

And how can you know for certain that Strome won't be as good as Seguin? I am sure you never though Jeffrey Skinner would have a better year than your first overall pick Hall... which I even called before the draft. That's because I have watched him play throughout almost his entire junior career in Kitchener. Kid's the real deal.
You're all over the place :laugh:

I think we can all agree that at this point if Strome ends up being a better player than Seguin, it will be a surprise to most people.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00