RNH or Seguin

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Tough to say. 2 different styles of play. I think Seguin may be the more dynamic player because of a stronger build and better shot, but I think RNH has a perfect storm situation - if all goes well and he becomes the pivot between Hall and Eberle, his style of play compliments those two perfectly. Not to mention as the year's pass, that line could (and should) stay together permanently. That's huge for chemistry. Just look at the evolution of the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line now that they've had 3 seasons together. IMO, its a big deal.

Seguin puts up the better goal numbers, RNH will put up the better point totals, both should be their teams #1C within the next 3yrs.

4thliner*

RNH is vastly superior.

This isn't really fair to Seguin, RNH will more than double Seguin's rookie output. Seguin was exposed in his first NHL season as not being of the soundest hockey mind, an area that RNH certainly doesn't have any problems with.

Seguin got drafted 2nd overall by a team (that lucked out in a trade) trying to win a cup and not as concerned with sporting a sexy lottery pick and giving him 18 min of ice time a night.

There is no way on Earth I would rather have RNH if they were both offered to me right now.

Some say Seguin struggled on a cup contender in his first year in the NHL. Well it is yet to be seen if the other guy can make by far the worst team in the NHL 2 years running IMO, let alone be a standout on a poor team.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
RNH. Better vision, and a better skater. And thats saying something cause Seguin is a good skater too. But im an Oiler fan so take it with a grain of salt..

Megan Fox

ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ
Oct 26, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Seguin got drafted 2nd overall by a team (that lucked out in a trade) trying to win a cup and not as concerned with sporting a sexy lottery pick and giving him 18 min of ice time a night.

There is no way on Earth I would rather have RNH if they were both offered to me right now.

Some say Seguin struggled on a cup contender in his first year in the NHL. Well it is yet to be seen if the other guy can make by far the worst team in the NHL 2 years running IMO, let alone be a standout on a poor team.

If Seguin were the mega talent he was supposed to be, he wouldn't have struggled the way he did. It was really hard to watch, actually.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
k well seguin already has won cup so hes obv better.

oh ya

Stanley+Cup+Tyler+Seguin.jpg

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Tough to say. 2 different styles of play. I think Seguin may be the more dynamic player because of a stronger build and better shot, but I think RNH has a perfect storm situation - if all goes well and he becomes the pivot between Hall and Eberle, his style of play compliments those two perfectly. Not to mention as the year's pass, that line could (and should) stay together permanently. That's huge for chemistry. Just look at the evolution of the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line now that they've had 3 seasons together. IMO, its a big deal.

Seguin puts up the better goal numbers, RNH will put up the better point totals, both should be their teams #1C within the next 3yrs.

I dont think seguin has a better shot..the one thing many people said about rnh is he doesnt use his shot the way he does. He still scored 31 goals as a 17 year old in the WHL the kid has a great shot..lets not speculate that seguin is much better or even better at all. I think it is a new nhl and this nhl fits rnh just as well as it fits seguin.

RNH is one of the most dynamic players in a long time..scores..has unreal play making ability etc. He will be a great player no matter what his size in the NHL. Size is really a non factor anymore..case in point..kane..st louis..sullivan..even guys like kessel hes not very big.

4thliner*

RNH. Better vision, and a better skater. And thats saying something cause Seguin is a good skater too. But im an Oiler fan so take it with a grain of salt..

Being more shifty does not mean he is better skater. Seguin's skating is more explosive. he is a lot faster than RNH as well as being bigger player of the 2.

Actually RNH's straight away speed and acceleration is not very impressive for an under sized player like him. He makes up for it with almost Datsyukian shiftiness which I doubt will be there is he bulks up a lot, which I never think he will. 185-190 lb is optimum playing weight for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010

Still sour about getting zibanejad eh...

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Being more shifty does not mean he is better skater. Seguin's skating is more explosive. he is a lot faster than RNH as well as being bigger player of the 2.

i gather you've seen RNH plenty in the nhl? compare both rookie seasons and we'll see.

4thliner*

Still sour about getting zibanejad eh...

What does this have to do with Zbad? I was very pleased with the pick, even more so after rookie camp. His size, speed, power, and grit in combination with skill will be a perfect compliment to Spezza.

If anything Boston is NE rival and it would be in the best interest of NE teams for them not to develop a dominant 1st line center. Only thing they are lacking IMO.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

Actually RNH's straight away speed and acceleration is not very impressive for an under sized player like him. He makes up for it with almost Datsyukian shiftiness which I doubt will be there is he bulks up a lot, which I never think he will. 185-190 lb is optimum playing weight for him.

Idk about the speed part. RNH does have some great acceleration and can really kick it into another gear.

Look around :44 in this video and you'll see what im talking about

And tbh, if you look at the average height for a first line center is around like 6.01 and 190 pounds or something like that. Not really sure.(If somebody could back me up on that?) And plus he was around 171 at the combine so I dont think it will be a problem to get around 180 for camp.

Can someone fix the Youtube. Totally forgot how to do it.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Anybody who says that it is X player "AINEC" bull **** loses any credibility in my eyes. They will both be great players I am sure but I don't think that ANYBODY outside of some junior and NHL scouts have seen an overabundance of either player so to make a comment period is ludicrous at this point.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I haven't seen RNH play, but I've heard a lot of good things about him and I'm excited to see him in the NHL. Both RNH and Sequin SHOULD become very good players (you never know for sure though....)

I'm just not sure if Sequin will reach his full potential. I think he's going to be a good player no matter what, but will he be great. What I mean is I saw a few flashes of brilliance from him (like his first PO game), but he seemed to disappear for a while and couldn't keep consistent. If Sequin can learn to keep consistent and show that those flashes of brilliance aren't just flashes ... He will be just as good if not better than what I have heard about RNH.

Obviously I am a Leafs fan and some people will say that I'm biased, but from what I've heard about RNH and seen from Sequin, they both have the potential to be top notch players... I'm not sure who to give the edge to, but if they both reach their full potential they will be close. (and very good)

Fiddie

Jan 10, 2009
Edmonton

This is a conversation between Lowetide and Steve Serdachny Oilers skating coach.

* Question: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins may not be the most impressive straightaway skater--because of age and development--but he has that great first step quickness. Do you measure that and if you do how do you measure that?
* Serdachny: I'd probably agree with your first statement that has incredible first step quickness but I disagree with your other comment. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a dynamic skater who in my opinion would probably be at an upper end NHL speed right now. He's quick and strong, has explosive quickness and dynamic speed. He has multi-directional ability and the control he has and his edges and mobility on and off the puck are exceptional. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would fit in the category of very strong NHL skater and he's just going to get better.

http://oilersnation.com/2011/7/10/fast-times-hurry-september

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Seguin. He'll be much more effective without the puck....and his performance in the playoffs included the most intense offensive outburst of any rookie in the playoffs - EVER.

RNH may very well end up running the oil's PP for a long time, but I don't think his defensive game will stack up to Seguin's.

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario
RNH is vastly superior.

This isn't really fair to Seguin, RNH will more than double Seguin's rookie output. Seguin was exposed in his first NHL season as not being of the soundest hockey mind, an area that RNH certainly doesn't have any problems with.

Ummmm... I'm going to have to disagree with you there. He was more exposed by playing 4th line minutes on a stacked team. Seguin has great hockey sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->