RNH or Seguin

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I think it is a draw. Seguin posted 48 goals in his draft year, and is way stronger, which makes him more of a sure-bet in the NHL. RHN could be a star, but his strength could really hold him back, as it has with Kyle Turris (although I concede RNH is more talented).

As a Bruins fan, I would not trade Seguin for RNH.
It depends on what you mean by stronger. Stick them in the gym and Seguin will lift more. Put them in the corner with a Dman and RNH is more likely to come away with the puck.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It depends on what you mean by stronger. Stick them in the gym and Seguin will lift more. Put them in the corner with a Dman and RNH is more likely to come away with the puck.

Because of how slippery and slick and how good with the puck he is. I would easily take RNH > Seguin any day of the week. And people need to understand he is able to get stronger. He is 17 and is going to fill out naturally and can workout btw.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Given the Oilers' circumstances and that they have two potential 40-goal scorers (if they reach their potential) in Hall and Eberle on the wing, RNH would be the perfect play making center between them.

Thus, I could RNH being a better player in Edmonton than Seguin will be in Boston behind Krejci and Bergeron.

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
Lol, RNH will be out of the NHL for 3 years(1-2 more in the W, 1 in the AHL) because at 155 its going to take him a while to get to NHL strength and weight(acceptable is probably 185 at his height). So I dont know if a team would pick him first overall, however I would for sure take him with the second overall pick. As for the Seguin comparison its not even close for me, Seguin = hall and Seguin>RNH for me at this point. Despite what happened this year. A possible comparison for seguin career/point wise could be spezza, as he could take a few extra years to develop and then become a 90 point player. Im not saying he plays like spezza, because he doesn't.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Lol, RNH will be out of the NHL for 3 years(1-2 more in the W, 1 in the AHL) because at 155 its going to take him a while to get to NHL strength and weight(acceptable is probably 185 at his height). So I dont know if a team would pick him first overall, however I would for sure take him with the second overall pick. As for the Seguin comparison its not even close for me, Seguin = hall and Seguin>RNH for me at this point. Despite what happened this year. A possible comparison for seguin career/point wise could be spezza, as he could take a few extra years to develop and then become a 90 point player. Im not saying he plays like spezza, because he doesn't.

Hall is so much better than Seguin it isn't even funny. It was obvious even in junior. Good thing the Oils had a half decent scouting staff.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Wow...there are so many things wrong with this post it isn't even funny. First of all RNH isn't 155. He is around 170. Secondly RNH will take 1 year AT MOST and that wont even happen IMO. 6 out of 10 scouts said that he should go first overall so who are you again to say that a team wouldn't take him first overall? Seguin=Hall?? Really? I like Seguin and all but Hall is a better player and everybody on this board here agrees with that except for Bruins fans and Seguin supporters/Hall haters. I agree with Seguin>RNH but if 6 out of 7 scouts said that RNH is better then Seguin, you have to take their word for it, after all, they are professional scouts. RNH will play in the NHL next year IMO, hes way too good to play in the juniors. The only thing holding him back is his size and if he is 170, gaining 5-10 lbs is easily doable. Have you seen Patrick Kane play? How he is so agile, shifty, strong on his feet and how embraces the hit. That's very similar to RNH. He can easily avoid hits, he will take hits to make the play and he will embrace the hit in a manner where he wont get hurt. Also RNH does have more of a mean streak then Kane, he isn't scared to muck it up a bit and delivers some pretty solid hits (although its in the juniors, once he hits his prime and fills out his frame, he will start making some solid checks).

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
People close to the team say he's already 165+. I see no reason why with professional trainers why he can't gain another 10lbs in the next 5 months

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wow...there are so many things wrong with this post it isn't even funny. First of all RNH isn't 155. He is around 170. Secondly RNH will take 1 year AT MOST and that wont even happen IMO. 6 out of 10 scouts said that he should go first overall so who are you again to say that a team wouldn't take him first overall? Seguin=Hall?? Really? I like Seguin and all but Hall is a better player and everybody on this board here agrees with that except for Bruins fans and Seguin supporters/Hall haters. I agree with Seguin>RNH but if 6 out of 7 scouts said that RNH is better then Seguin, you have to take their word for it, after all, they are professional scouts. RNH will play in the NHL next year IMO, hes way too good to play in the juniors. The only thing holding him back is his size and if he is 170, gaining 5-10 lbs is easily doable. Have you seen Patrick Kane play? How he is so agile, shifty, strong on his feet and how embraces the hit. That's very similar to RNH. He can easily avoid hits, he will take hits to make the play and he will embrace the hit in a manner where he wont get hurt. Also RNH does have more of a mean streak then Kane, he isn't scared to muck it up a bit and delivers some pretty solid hits (although its in the juniors, once he hits his prime and fills out his frame, he will start making some solid checks).

This guy has the right idea for the most part. Except for the Seguin > RNH part.

RNH is so much more skilled it's unbelievable.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
In my mind there is no way I see RNH playing junior next season. He doesn't shy away from physicality. I have not watched enough of Seguin to make a judgement. Just wanted to get that point in there.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
This guy has the right idea for the most part. Except for the Seguin > RNH part.

Really? He thinks RNH wont be in the NHL for another 3 years. Thought RNH was 155 when its been quite obvious that hes already close to 170 or is already 170. Hall=Seguin? Seguin's a great player and I would love to have him on my team but Hall is definitely the better player. RNH imo will make the NHL next year, doesn't matter who drafts him, he will make it. He is way too good skill-wise for the WHL and like the poster above me mentioned, doesn't shy away from physical play. He does need to gain weight but gaining 5-10 lbs by the start of next season isn't that hard at all.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Really? He thinks RNH wont be in the NHL for another 3 years. Thought RNH was 155 when its been quite obvious that hes already close to 170 or is already 170. Hall=Seguin? Seguin's a great player and I would love to have him on my team but Hall is definitely the better player. RNH imo will make the NHL next year, doesn't matter who drafts him, he will make it. He is way too good skill-wise for the WHL and like the poster above me mentioned, doesn't shy away from physical play. He does need to gain weight but gaining 5-10 lbs by the start of next season isn't that hard at all.

This.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

I'd say Seguin has more pure skill. The day will come when he's recognized as one of the best danglers in the league. The stuff he can do at top speed is impressive. RNH is skilled and make defenders look silly too but he's his smarts and vision that make him so effective.

It's interesting that everyone is talking about Seguin like he's a goal scorer. He's actually a pass first player. Heading into the draft Hall was the goal scoring bull on skates and Seguin was the playmaker with great vision.

RNH and Seguin don't play a similar style but if you were to break them down to their more basic description, they'd both be very smart playmakers. The difference is that RNH is actually the better playmaker. Seguin just makes up for it because he's the slightly better goal scorer.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I'd say Seguin has more pure skill. The day will come when he's recognized as one of the best danglers in the league. The stuff he can do at top speed is impressive. RNH is skilled and make defenders look silly too but he's his smarts and vision that make him so effective.

It's interesting that everyone is talking about Seguin like he's a goal scorer. He's actually a pass first player. Heading into the draft Hall was the goal scoring bull on skates and Seguin was the playmaker with great vision.

RNH and Seguin don't play a similar style but if you were to break them down to their more basic description, they'd both be very smart playmakers. The difference is that RNH is actually the better playmaker. Seguin just makes up for it because he's the slightly better goal scorer.

Seguin is hardly a playmaker. I watched him in junior a lot and he was the guy that would shoot the puck the most often, his teammates got it to him and went to the net. Not saying his is not good but overhyped. He is not as amazing as other people were led to believe. RNH has potential to be better than Hall if everything works out.

rangersfan111

May 6, 2010
Seguin is hardly a playmaker. I watched him in junior a lot and he was the guy that would shoot the puck the most often, his teammates got it to him and went to the net. Not saying his is not good but overhyped. He is not as amazing as other people were led to believe. RNH has potential to be better than Hall if everything works out.

This is a pretty ridiculous comment...anyone that has watched seguin knows he has elite level playmaking ability. The reason he didn't put up 80 assists was because he was playing with mediocre linemates so he elected to shoot more. Adding a scoring touch to his already brilliant passing game is the reason why he went second overall and will be a superstar in the future. It's one thing to have an opinion and say RNH is better than seguin (which I disagree), it's another thing to say he's not a playmaker.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'd wait 2 or 3 years of both being in the NHL before offering a factual opinion. Anything else is speculation and while one can be right, it is still a guess at this point.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
This is a pretty ridiculous comment...anyone that has watched seguin knows he has elite level playmaking ability. The reason he didn't put up 80 assists was because he was playing with mediocre linemates so he elected to shoot more. Adding a scoring touch to his already brilliant passing game is the reason why he went second overall and will be a superstar in the future. It's one thing to have an opinion and say RNH is better than seguin (which I disagree), it's another thing to say he's not a playmaker.

Haha, good luck with that. But what do I know? I only watched him from the start of his junior career to a lot of his games in Boston but whatever, since you say I am wrong and that he is an elite playmaker and that he will be a superstar, you obviously are right :laugh:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Haha, good luck with that. But what do I know? I only watched him from the start of his junior career to a lot of his games in Boston but whatever, since you say I am wrong and that he is an elite playmaker and that he will be a superstar, you obviously are right :laugh:
I also watched Seguin quite a bit last season since there was a chance the Oilers would be drafting him. He shot the puck a lot in junior but a lot of that was because he was the Whalers biggest offensive threat...and just because you prefer to pass the puck, that doesn't mean you have a problem shooting when you get the chance. Seguin is a very smart hockey player so he found a way to have the puck on his stick in high percentage scoring areas. Of course he's going to shoot when he's in the slot.

He even describes himself as a playmaker that can score some goals.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009

I'm thinking you're a little biased.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
They're different but they're pretty much in the same league.

The thing that's bugging me is people saying Seguin is the better all around player. The one thing that bugged me about Seguin is how he didn't do all that much work in the corners, seemed to shy away just a bit from the defensive game. RNH will steal the puck from you if you don't watch out, he's really good at that actually. I'd give RNH the edge here.

Seguin has way better top speed but RNH is more agile. Hopefully RNH's speed will increase, at least his top speed, when he gets some strength training in. I'd say this is a draw.

Seguin's one timer impressed me. He'd get in the high slot and just rip one timers on the net. RNH didn't score much at all until later in the season. From what I saw he has elite accuracy with both his slap shot and his wrist shot but it's lacking power. Again, with some strength training his shot could become elite. I'd say this is a draw.

RNH obviously gets the edge when it comes to playmaking. Although Seguin's playmaking abilities impressed me last year, he has some serious skill. That just goes to show how skilled of a passer RNH is.

Overall I'd call it a draw. RNH is equal to pre-draft Seguin in my eyes, they're just different players. Seguin was a beanpole before he got some training in after he was eliminated by the Spits. RNH is also a beanpole, hopefully he can put on some weight as well. Burmistrov and Skinner are two guys that kind of remind me of RNH when it comes to being skinnier guys that are really skilled skaters and used that to their advantage in their rookie seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->