RNH or Seguin

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Have any proof of that? Watching them would prove otherwise. Maybe Seguin is more powerful but rarely do we see it. RNH is much more willing to go into the tough areas of the ice.

I don't know when Seguin suddenly turned into a powerforward but it's starting to by a little out of hand. Things are being exaggerated. Last year when Seguin was being compared Hall he was an undersized perimeter player. Then people see him without a shirt and now he's Getzlaf.

Seguin is to power forward what Komisarek is to puck-moving defenseman. :laugh:

.... I think what you might be hearing (through the odd lens that his HFB) is that Seguin's performance in the "dirty areas" of the ice improved over the season, and got much better (in my eyes) in the postseason. He started to look like the two-way talent he was initially billed as. He's got about the same build as I saw in the beginning of 2010-11 (which is to say, ripped but not necessarily stout) and could stand to add a bit of muscular girth.

He's still a perimeter/off-the-rush player, but I could see him getting to the front and working the boards with much more success and panache this year than in 2010-11. I think a 25g, 50+ point sophomore campaign is not out of the question, but 20+, 40+ would be a good step in the right direction, and is quite likely, in my estimation....

Anywho, on topic, I'd much rather have Seguin (and though that's a homer opinion, at my most objective, it's how I feel)... who I see as having 40g potential. RNH has a lot more physical work to do (in my estimation) and will be w/o question the better playmaker... but I'd rather build a team around a more solid (physically), 2-way sniper/playmaker than a youngster with a lot of weight to gain and a much more PP-dependant production... time may prove me wrong, but that's where I sit now;)

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
i'm an oilers fan, haven't seen enough of RNH yet to judge.

Even after a full season in the NHL, I don't think I've even seen enough of Seguin as a Bruins fan. If Nugent-Hopkins doesn't exactly tear it up right away, getting a clear answer may take some time.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Even after a full season in the NHL, I don't think I've even seen enough of Seguin as a Bruins fan. If Nugent-Hopkins doesn't exactly tear it up right away, getting a clear answer may take some time.

Even if he does tear it doesn't mean RNH may not plateau (but highly unlikely). One lucky rookie year is not a good benchmark (see Cogliano, Bozak, Bergfors, etc.) for future success.

RNH upside is higher, but I'll go with the safe choice - Seguin.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
let's wait until we see a full season from RNH before we pass judgement on a guy who's "physically unable to handle the NHL"

I believe he'll easily pass Seguin point totals...and ya, I know, its obviously cause he's getting more icetime

Eberle

4-93-14
Jun 8, 2011
Oil Country
I think RNH's shot is underrated in this thread. Its his confidence with his shot that should be questioned.

Also the fact that he will probably be played with a couple guys who can shoot pretty well, he may never get to be known as a guy who shoots.

I believe RNH's hockey sense is going to lead him to a better career than Seguin. This isn't to take away from Seguin, of course. Seguin will be a fantastic player, and in the end comparing them will probably be as tough as it is to predict.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH has higher hockey I.Q. I think, but Seguin has better physical tools.

Both will be very good players. While Seguin has the benefit of being on a very good team now, the Bruins may have to retool/rebuild in a couple of seasons as Chara ages, whereas the Oilers should be hitting their stride with Hall/RNH/Eberle and who knows maybe even like a Grigenko or Yakupov as well.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Both will be very good players. While Seguin has the benefit of being on a very good team now, the Bruins may have to retool/rebuild in a couple of seasons as Chara ages, whereas the Oilers should be hitting their stride with Hall/RNH/Eberle and who knows maybe even like a Grigenko or Yakupov as well.

No they won't, Toronto already did that for them. :nod:

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine

A questionable sentiment.

The Bruins' have an exceedingly deep and young core of forwards (and arguably one of the top-5 forward prospect corps in the League) so retooling their F's will be almost completely unnecessary unless some of their contract demands in the coming years is excessive. The B's defense is aging quickly, but Chara has improved if anything as he's gotten older and Seidenberg just turned 30... presumably some of the youth will be traded for defense and McQuaid and Hamilton will grow more into Pro Roles in the future.... Boston is set to be a contender for a looooong time.

Back to the topic at hand:
Seguin's hockey I.Q. is definitely top-notch, though he certainly had a bit of trouble with the faster, more physical NHL game... whether RNH exceeds him in this capacity is difficult for me to grasp at this point in either player's career... still would rather have the more sniper-skilled Seguin than distributor-skilled RNH out of a belief that the former is harder to find.

But

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
:laugh:

Haha not quite.

I believe that being a great teammate extends to off the ice as well. So I'll ask it again: who would be the better wingman? :naughty:

Seguin. RNH seems to be a very composed and mature young man, I don't see him going wild at the clubs like Seguin did.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Seguin. RNH seems to be a very composed and mature young man, I don't see him going wild at the clubs like Seguin did.

Seguin won the ****ing cup. You would be at the club celebrating too. My god.

Kershaw

I'd pick Seguin. I think he'll be like Toews while RNH will be like Spezza.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad