RNH or Seguin

Bicepus McMaximus

Sep 14, 2009
Bob Stauffer, who was in Red Deer on Saturday alongside a few scouts, had this to say on Oilers lunch today, "I have talked to probably 7 neutral based scouts, non-Oiler related staff, and 6 of the 7 think Nugent-Hopkins is going to be better than Tyler Seguin."

The audio is here. It's Hour 1 of April 18th episode. Jump roughly 6 minutes forward (54 minutes left in the first hour).

I specifically want to compare the two guys. I remember being undecided between Hall and Seguin last year, and thinking how set the Oil would be if they magically could get both.

It's very intriguing hearing this considering I cringed at the thought of drafting RNH only a few months ago. I had no idea he was this highly touted. I also thought this draft isn't as top heavy. Hmm...

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Bob Stauffer, who was in Red Deer on Saturday alongside a few scouts, had this to say on Oilers lunch today, "I have talked to probably 7 neutral based scouts, non-Oiler related staff, and 6 of the 7 think Nugent-Hopkins is going to be better than Tyler Seguin."

The audio is here. It's Hour 1 of April 18th episode. Jump roughly 6 minutes forward (54 minutes left in the first hour).

I specifically want to compare the two guys. I remember being undecided between Hall and Seguin last year, and thinking how set the Oil would be if they magically could get both.

It's very intriguing hearing this considering I cringed at the thought of drafting RNH only a few months ago. I had no idea he was this highly touted. I also thought this draft isn't as top heavy. Hmm...

Nooooo.... I'm sure most people would take Huberdeau > Seguin aswell.

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
I would think most teams would take Seguin because he's more of a sure thing, but RNH could easily have the better career.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO Seguin is thicker and faster with a quicker shot, but RNH has a lot going for him as well, more elusive, a better passer with better vision (and that's saying something for him and not a shot at Seguin), a more deceptive release on his shot, better defensively, more willing to muck it up.

I think that both will be exceptional players in the NHL and that it's too early to tell, but if RNH were 10-15lbs. heavier at this point it would be RNH for sure for me. It'll be interesting to see what RNH weighs at the combine and also what his windgate, etc. will be.

I maybe alone in this opinion but I feel that RNH probably has more potential because they had similar junior success except that Seguin was much more mature physically. IF RNH can mature physically to the point that he's within 5-10 lbs. of Seguin I believe that he will be the better player.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
At the beginning of the year I would have said Seguin but watching RNH despite being the smaller player he is harder to take the puck away from and doesn't back down from the physical part of the game.

Seguin is faster but RNH is more agile and slippery. RNH is the better playmaker and has better vision while Seguin will always be the better goalscorer.

I'd take RNH because I see him as the perfect fit for Taylor Hall.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
RNH will gain weigth. damn, just lift weigths and eat food. As it would be hard?

RNH has to translate his game to NHL, otherwise, RNH over Seguin.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
IMO Larsson is the first overall this year, and overall RNH, Couturier, Landeskog and Huberdeau are a pretty big step down talent and upside wise.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Seguin is faster but RNH is more agile and slippery. RNH is the better playmaker and has better vision while Seguin will always be the better goalscorer.

THIS!!! It doesn't matter if Seguin will be a better goal scorer than RNH because Hall>>>>>Seguin so why not have the player that best compliments him

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
From what I've seen they're fairly different players, Seguin seems like he's stronger, a better goalscorer, faster, but more of a straight line player, while RNH is a better playmaker, and more shifty and creative with the puck. Seguin seems like a speedy, goalscoring C, more in the mold of a Stamkos (without the killer one timer, and probably never as good), while RNH is more of a shifty, dangley, puck possession C, more in the mold of a Datsyuk (without the killer defense, and probably never as good). Too early to say who will be better IMO.

Ogopogo*

At the beginning of the year I would have said Seguin but watching RNH despite being the smaller player he is harder to take the puck away from and doesn't back down from the physical part of the game.

Seguin gets underrated now because the Bruins have really limited his ice time and he hasn't put up big numbers. The few highlights I have seen of him scoring, he looks really good. That being said, Taylor Hall was definitely the best choice.

Segin or RNH? Not sure but, I believe that the Oilers picking RNH would have more positive impact than picking Adam Larsson.

Ultimately, if we could trade up the Kings 1st Rounder and get Dougie Hamilton as well as RNH, that would be a spectacular win for the Oil. Gagner plus the Kings pick for another top 5????

rangersfan111

May 6, 2010
For me its definitely seguin..guy has more speed, acceleration, more accurate shot, harder shot..and their hockey IQ and playmaking ability are both close (both players have top-end hockey IQ, you can make an argument for either one). People have to relax, not every 18 year old stud is going to put up 80 points as a rookie. Look at Stamkos. Seguin is so underrated right now.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
The way he was laying it out is RNH will be a higher point getter but Seguin will be better overall, not hard to agree with that statement. Consider the difference between Toews and Kane, Toews prolly won't score more than Kane ever but is a beast when it comes to all around play and Kane is a bit more one dimentional.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
At the start of the season, I would have said Seguin >>> RNH, but after watching RNH, I can see why some think he could be better than Seguin. If they both meet their absolute highest potential, then RNH > Seguin. With that said, Seguin's downside is much better than RNH's.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Man, I've watched Seguin in juniors and I don't get why people are so high on him. I have seasons tickets to the Rangers and Knights and I also travel to go to other games and I have seen Seguin play numerous of times and he is just a fast goal scoring centre. Decent passing ability, not good defensively, and he may be fairly big but he doesn't use it often enough. Not to mention he disappears in important games. Hall was the obvious choice for first overall in my mind and Edmonton made the right choice.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think it is a draw. Seguin posted 48 goals in his draft year, and is way stronger, which makes him more of a sure-bet in the NHL. RHN could be a star, but his strength could really hold him back, as it has with Kyle Turris (although I concede RNH is more talented).

As a Bruins fan, I would not trade Seguin for RNH.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I like Seguin a lot and would love to have him on the Oil, but in comparison to RNH, he's a shooter while RNH is a passer. Otherwise, they're very comparable talent wise, imo.

Eberle and Hall desperately need an elite setup man centering them, so RNH it is for me vs Seguin.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I still don't understand how people were comparing Hall vs. Seguin last year, it was Hall by a mile, dude was a superstar in the making.

As for RNH vs. Seguin, RNH is one of the "slipperiest" players I've ever seen. I can't even compare him to Kane when he was with the Knights, sure they were similar size weight wise, but RNH isn't such a north-south kinda guy like Seguin/Kane, to me it works for him being east-west because his vision is insane. However, I don't think his game will translate to the NHL especially at the centre position until he puts on more weight. Strength will be a major factor. Like I said, right now, it's RNH by a hair, if RNH was around 170-180lbs, it's RNH without a doubt.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I still don't understand how people were comparing Hall vs. Seguin last year, it was Hall by a mile, dude was a superstar in the making.

As for RNH vs. Seguin, RNH is one of the "slipperiest" players I've ever seen. I can't even compare him to Kane when he was with the Knights, sure they were similar size weight wise, but RNH isn't such a north-south kinda guy like Seguin/Kane, to me it works for him being east-west because his vision is insane. However, I don't think his game will translate to the NHL especially at the centre position until he puts on more weight. Strength will be a major factor. Like I said, right now, it's RNH by a hair, if RNH was around 170-180lbs, it's RNH without a doubt.

Exactly. I have never seen a player dominate the prospect game like RNH did. He was so exciting and you just couldn't wait for him to get back on the ice. He at that moment really seperated himself from the rest of the pack and established himself as the number 1 pick to me and I have watched as many games with him in it as possible. If the Oils really are looking to the future, this is the guy imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad