OT: RIP WAAF-FM 1970-2020

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't know the stats behind it, but I kind of feel like classic rock is a dying format. There seem to be way more 80s-90s-2000s hits stations popping up and less purely classic rock ones.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
ive come to the point where i just go to youtube on my phone and search a song i like. then it autoplays. i just use that over bluetooth in my truck now.
free and any song you want

Reactions: rfournier103

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Yes.

Especially when the group specifically targets long established and historic rock stations for conversion.

I grew up with a ton of hardcore music fans and also a ton of very devout Christians. Every single person in the overlap of those two groups DESPISED "Christian Rock". But the economics of terrestrial radio are probably going to kill every commercial music station you love, to be replaced by talk radio funded for political purposes or Christian programming funded by nonprofits. Ad revenues don't need to cover expenses if pushing the content is the end goal-- be it 24-7 messaging or 24-7 mission.

Your options are going to be your own media and streaming. College stations seem to be sticking around, but I think most people lamenting WAAF are probably tuning in from their car on a commute. Good luck staying in the range of any station on the left of the dial. Hell, some of them barely reach all of campus.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I grew up with a ton of hardcore music fans and also a ton of very devout Christians. Every single person in the overlap of those two groups DESPISED "Christian Rock". But the economics of terrestrial radio are probably going to kill every commercial music station you love, to be replaced by talk radio funded for political purposes or Christian programming funded by nonprofits. Ad revenues don't need to cover expenses if pushing the content is the end goal-- be it 24-7 messaging or 24-7 mission.

Your options are going to be your own media and streaming. College stations seem to be sticking around, but I think most people lamenting WAAF are probably tuning in from their car on a commute. Good luck staying in the range of any station on the left of the dial. Hell, some of them barely reach all of campus.

This is right- it isn't about shoving stuff down anyone's throats, it's about economics and smartphones, spotify, apple music, and the ability to make your own playlists and listen to them anywhere without commercials. It's the same thing that is happening to print media. Most people I know under 40 don't listen to the radio at all. I am over 40 a good bit and don't- I have all my music (or podcasts) on my iPhone and that's that. No static, no fading signal, no obnoxious local car dealership commercials. The world is changing as it always does. For good or for ill is a matter of perspective.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Don’t underestimate contractors who toss a radio in the corner while they’re working. That’s a big part of the terrestrial radio audience too. That said, I think radio in the commercial sense that we all grew up with is on its way out

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Don’t underestimate contractors who toss a radio in the corner while they’re working. That’s a big part of the terrestrial radio audience too. That said, I think radio in the commercial sense that we all grew up with is on its way out
More and more of us are plugging our phones into a little portable speaker and streaming satellite radio.

The last job I was on was mostly streaming. Very few guys using radios.

Streaming = no commercials and almost no yakking.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
More and more of us are plugging our phones into a little portable speaker and streaming satellite radio.

The last job I was on was mostly streaming. Very few guys using radios.

Streaming = no commercials and almost no yakking.

So it’s dying a faster death than I realized. Figured there were still a few in their late 30’s and up who still listened.

This all makes sense when you see what @Fenway posted about these investors buying up stations who rely on donations only. That’s a niche audience who will stay loyal to whatever they’re peddling

Reactions: rfournier103

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I liked AAF and HJY more do to their consistent hard rock playlist but I appreciated BCN playing The Kinks,Blondie and then Motorhead in row,you never knew what was coming next
I was a BRU and BCN guy. BRU because I was into what kids who weren't beholden to the record companies were playing. BCN because, like you said, they had the approach of mixing things around in unexpected ways. Radio, for me, was always about finding new music. So easy to do today with digital tools and then things like Shazaam (how many times have I been standing at the urinal with my phone above my head pointed at the ceiling speaker???).

I was never a fan of the radio "personalities" -- even the so called cool dj's like Charles Laquidara or Mark Parenteau. Parenteau was tolerable to me when he'd have bands on set, which he often did. Beyond that, my theory was shut up and play the music. To steal from Pulp Fiction..... Hey, Number 8..... what would get you to listen to a radio DJ or personality????

Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherf***in' DJ. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?"

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I was more BCN and FNX growing up but I listened to AAF in the mornings because they played more music (Stern days).

I can’t recall the exact content but I have strong associations with WAAF and the Worcester 6 after that devastating fire. The Hillman Morning Show in particular.

another piece of Boston rock gone.

I was COZ and HJY. Sometimes BCN for Glasscock/Laquidara, they had changed more towards new wave in the 80s.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
We still have 92.9 and 100.7 (100.3 and 101.1 if you live near NH), but it's going to suck not hearing new Rock out there on the radio now that WAAF is gone and every Rock station in MA has a classic Rock format.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Yes.

Especially when the group specifically targets long established and historic rock stations for conversion.
Busy bodied Christians have finally figure out a way to get rid of the devil’s music. Buy them out.

Excuse me, while I listen to Black Sabbath backwards while biting the head off a bat.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter, most of us have moved on from radio for music. The only time I tune into the radio is for news or poly talk and that is fleeting these days.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i drive alot at work and the best rock station was lazer 99.3. think it was out in chicopee?? 2 years ago they changed their format. but man they had a great playlist back when they played rock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad