OT: RIP WAAF-FM 1970-2020

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
waaf.png
ENTERCOM is selling Rock WAAF/WESTBOROUGH, MA-BOSTON to EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION for $10.75 million in cash.

EMF will put its Contemporary Christian programming on WAAF's 107.3 FM signal on SATURDAY (2/22). WAAF's Rock format will continue on WEEI-F-HD2 and WWBX-HD2 and streaming on RADIO.COM.

Reactions: Runner77

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Contempary Christian is going to do better than WAAF? Weird. Terrestrial radio outside of sports talk is a mess.
Educational Media Foundation (formerly EMF Broadcasting, abbreviated EMF) is an American nonprofit organization that operates radio networks broadcasting contemporary Christian music, including Air1 and K-Love. EMF is based in Rocklin, California, a suburb of Sacramento. As of 2018, EMF directly owns and operates at least 415 radio stations throughout the United States.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I was more BCN and FNX growing up but I listened to AAF in the mornings because they played more music (Stern days).

I can’t recall the exact content but I have strong associations with WAAF and the Worcester 6 after that devastating fire. The Hillman Morning Show in particular.

another piece of Boston rock gone.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was more BCN and FNX growing up but I listened to AAF in the mornings because they played more music (Stern days).

I can’t recall the exact content but I have strong associations with WAAF and the Worcester 6 after that devastating fire. The Hillman Morning Show in particular.

another piece of Boston rock gone.

Once Entercom moved Hill to WEEI you could sense WAAF was on life support.

WAAF_FM_LU.gif

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
That’s sad. End of an era. They ran some downright great bits.

Big MAC
Donna Summer Fan
Sean Connery Dragon ***
Arnold and his crayons

Just a few that come to mind over the years. Just like the WWE, they had a golden era.

Reactions: sleepyh

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
aaf was the best when they had spaz on in the mornings with hillman and lydon byers.
they did some funny bits.
havent really listened much since hilman left. now i just shuffle youtube mixes from my phone in the truck.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Suits at Entercom decided in 2006 to move the transmitter from Paxton to West Boylston and move the city of license to Westborough instead of Worcester. The problem was the Channel 27 tower in West Boylston simply did not put a good signal inside of 128 while the former location in Paxton not only covered Boston but also Providence, Springfield and Hartford.

At least WAAF has 3 days to say goodbye to listeners which in this day and age is a courtesy seldom given.

WAAF_FM_LU.gif

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Back in my day [:wally:] we listened to Bob & Zip in the mornings before catching the bus to school. Those guys were a riot. And the music was great too.

*sigh*

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Meh, haven't listened to an actual radio station in years.

Unfortunate for those of you who do. Station has been around forever

Last edited:

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Is this a joke?! Loved WAAF growing up in the Boston area. I know FM radio is a dying medium with the rise of streaming and car Bluetooth capabilities, but that station was one of the good ones.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
RIP WAAF- it was the only rock station I could reliably get in southwest NH in the early 80s. I liked BCN but some days it wouldn't come in clearly.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This is happening everywhere

Same group came in and put 97.9 The Loop out of its misery two years ago here in Chicago after 41 years of classic rock

Honestly it was real ugly as they ceased manned broadcasts day after purchase which was shitty way to handle things (Automated playing of music lasted a few days later and by weekend it ceased) and cancelled the rock festival that people had bought tickets for which created a mess with how refunds were added

Is that how things are going down in Boston?

They really should buy stations and let the previous station have a farewell month or something so fans can enjoy it and people can say goodbyes

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad