OT: RIP WAAF-FM 1970-2020

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is happening everywhere

Same group came in and put 97.9 The Loop out of its misery two years ago after 41 years of classic rock

Honestly it was real ugly as they ceased manned broadcasts day after purchase which was shitty way to handle things (Automated playing of music lasted a few days later and by weekend it ceased) and cancelled the rock festival that people had bought tickets for which created a mess with how refunds were added

Is that how things are going down in Boston?

They really should buy stations and let the previous station have a farewell month or something so fans can enjoy it and people can say goodbyes

The move will give EMF a K-Love signal that covers Boston’s western suburbs, greater Worcester and reaches into the city as well, filling what had been a significant gap in EMF’s quest for full national coverage.

Until now, Boston-area listeners could either tune in Providence’s WLVO (95.5), which covers south of Boston quite well, or listen north of Boston to WUBG (1570 Methuen) and its 105.3 translator, which EMF has been leasing from Costa-Eagle.

The sale announcement immediately ended WAAF’s promotion of its upcoming 50th anniversary as a rock station, and it raises questions about where WAAF’s remaining airstaff, veteran middayer Mistress Carrie and afternoon jock Mike Hsu are headed next. (And it answers the question of why WAAF didn’t bring on a new morning show after moving the Hillman Morning Show to sister station WEEI last year.)

Update: Entercom plans to continue the WAAF format on its existing HD subchannels, the HD2s of WWBX (104.1 Boston) and WEEI-FM (93.7 Lawrence). It’s not yet clear whether that will be an automated format or will include current WAAF talent.

NERW Extra: EMF Enters Boston with WAAF Purchase

Reactions: Runner77

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I was all about WAAF growing up.

I stopped listening to it many years ago, but my 62 year old father took a liking to the station and personalities.

Perhaps that sums up one of the main issues.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
The same thing happened in Los Angeles back in Nov. 2017, a very popular Classic Rock station, it was my favorite one, was replaced with the very same Christian themed music K-LOVE by the same company. No one liked this move and there was nothing we could do about it! I hated it!.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The same thing happened in Los Angeles back in Nov. 2017, a very popular Classic Rock station, it was my favorite one, was replaced with the very same Christian themed music K-LOVE by the same company. No one liked this move and there was nothing we could do about it! I hated it!.

The same outfit also bought

WPLJ-Farewell.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

EMF is non-commercial and relies on donations - They target heritage rock stations and Boston was one market they could not crack until now

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I loved ‘AAF in high school.

I ended up going to college in Western Mass and my taste changed towards more classic rock-type music.

I haven’t listened to ‘AAF or terrestrial (music) radio in ages. Too much talking about crap I don’t care about, too many commercials, too many “bits” for me to listen to anymore. Ozzy’s Boneyard plays most of the music I used to listen to AAF for, and even good stuff I’ve never heard of before.

Farewell, AAF.

Thanks for the tunes.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Entercom has applied to park the WAAF call letters on what is now 910 WBZU Scranton PA. 107.3 will temporarily take the WBZU calls.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
As noted above, last tune: Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
Second to last tune: Freewill by Rush

It was cool to hear all the former talent calling in or visiting. I loved Osterlind on WAAF.

They called LB this evening when Greg Hill was there. He sounds as screwy as ever and mentioned that he's visiting a "brain doctor."

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That's got to hurt.

I've been through several radio stations shutting down or switching to a different programming format. There's always a sense of personal loss as radio is an intensely personal medium.

You gotta like the choice of music that the station's hosts ended their final signing off air with. They tried to make it sound as if they were going out with a classic song from the year the station first started airing in 1970.

However, what it looked like to me is that they were sending a parting shot to the new owners and their Christian programming by exiting with a song about Satanism, lol.

When you look at the lyrics of the last song they played:

What is this that stands before me?
Figure in black which points at me

Turn 'round quick and start to run
Find out I'm the chosen one
Oh, no!

Big black shape with eyes of fire
Telling people their desire
Satan's sitting there, he's smiling
Watches those flames get higher and higher
Oh, no, no, please, God, help me!

Is it the end, my friend?
Satan's coming 'round the bend
People running 'cause they're scared
The people better go and beware
No, no, please, no!

You want a station handoff into a completely different format that will turn WAAF into nothing more than a distant memory -- then go burn in hell, is what the above choice of song evokes. Nicely played, WAAF.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

So cool that they had a band member from Aerosmith at the station on their last day. He was reminiscing hearing a song from his band on the station when that song had come out. He came full circle.

For those of us not familiar with the station, what major acts or eventual hit songs was the station among the first to break?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's got to hurt.

I've been through several radio stations shutting down or switching to a different programming format. There's always a sense of personal loss as radio is an intensely personal medium.

You gotta like the choice of music that the station's hosts ended their final signing off air with. They tried to make it sound as if they were going out with a classic song from the year the station first started airing in 1970.

However, what it looked like to me is that they were sending a parting shot to the new owners and their Christian programming by exiting with a song about Satanism, lol.

When you look at the lyrics of the last song they played:

What is this that stands before me?
Figure in black which points at me

Turn 'round quick and start to run
Find out I'm the chosen one
Oh, no!

Big black shape with eyes of fire
Telling people their desire
Satan's sitting there, he's smiling
Watches those flames get higher and higher
Oh, no, no, please, God, help me!

Is it the end, my friend?
Satan's coming 'round the bend
People running 'cause they're scared
The people better go and beware
No, no, please, no!

You want a station handoff into a completely different format that will turn WAAF into nothing more than a distant memory -- then go burn in hell, is what the above choice of song evokes. Nicely played, WAAF.

@Runner77 You nailed it

Entercom managers in Boston were blindsided when corporate in Philadelphia sold the license on Tuesday.

EMF doesn't care about ratings as they sell no commercials, they are funded by listeners nationwide.

In the US the FCC does not care one iota about what a signal programs unlike Canada's CRTC which can block a format change.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I grew up with AAF but its been terrible for years (well until this week of course) and no different than dad rock ZLX. Was excellent in the late 90s.

Reactions: Hnidy Hnight

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
So..... Why does it seem like they're taking all classic rock stations off the air and shoving awful Christian music down our throats???

This is my question as well! Why? The radio station in Los Angeles was the best for Classic Rock, they didn't just play the same old songs, every day, they played any and all Classic Rock music, so much more!. They also held concerts, some for charities, they brought the community together by providing music and entertainment for all, hell if they were still around, they would have had an event to honor Kobe Bryant. That's what they did when it was needed the most!.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad