RIP NHL on NBC/NBSN

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I find it humorous with how many appear to be willing to kick NBC to the curb and move on as though it was a nasty habit.

It's these very same fans who are likely too young to remember ESPN showcasing poker tournaments instead of NHL games during the last few seasons while under contract.

IMHO it was a rocky start with OLN - then VS, but after a few seasons things got rolling and NBC/NBCSN became the flagship - the quality of the product and the number of games improved considerably (Winter Classic anyone?).

NBC and it's affiliates did a fine job.
Especially in recent years, where every single playoff game in the first round was televised. Ten years ago, you couldn't watch every first round playoff game. Not enough channels to cover that.

ESPN has other sports it showcases. It hasn't cared about hockey for a long time. The best thing about ESPN, Gary Thorne, isn't even part of the upcoming broadcasts. NBCSN only had soccer, which didn't overlap with hockey anyway. TNT has regular TV programming and showcases basketball games several days per week. The NHL is going to be the ugly duckling on these channels.

Sep 19, 2008
The main issue people had with NBC was major media bias but as others said they actually showed games.

ESPN already has football and basketball and guess which ones they're going to put over hockey.

Also ESPN didn't pay any attention to hockey when they had the rights. People are just nostalgic.

I'm curious to see what happens, and will keep an open mind. But to see people here say NBC did a bad job, I don't agree. The broadcasters were pretty solid. Emrick of course, but also John Forslund, Alex Faust and Brendan Burke. Hope they get picked up by the next rightsholders

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The main issue people had with NBC was major media bias but as others said they actually showed games.

ESPN already has football and basketball and guess which ones they're going to put over hockey.

Also ESPN didn't pay any attention to hockey when they had the rights. People are just nostalgic.

I'm curious to see what happens, and will keep an open mind. But to see people here say NBC did a bad job, I don't agree. The broadcasters were pretty solid. Emrick of course, but also John Forslund, Alex Faust and Brendan Burke. Hope they get picked up by the next rightsholders
I just wish that the ESPN broadcasts don't grow the same bias for the same 5 teams again

Reactions: adsfan

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Have Baseball too

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
P
Bingo. Who cares how popular NBCSN is or how their broadcasters called games? The bottom line is, they showed lots of games. ESPN won't. You're getting less coverage with ESPN, even if more bartenders know the channel.
Plenty will be shown on ESPN ESPN Plus and Disney Plus

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I don't have high expectations that it will happen but the only thing I hated about NBC that I hope ESPN might fix is the shit scheduling. Constantly putting the time slots in a position where the early game would overrun the late game was obnoxious, particularly in the playoffs.
How is ESPN going to fix that when games go into OT and we already have lawn darts going on ESPN 2?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Most of the on air personnel are good at they do...it's the production/decisions that drag it down. I really hope Tappen finds a spot with someone (maybe she has and I'm living under a rock?).

She should take a reduced salary and join SN in Canada.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Some people would be happier if no network carried hockey and we went back to the good ol days of checking the scores on the back page of their local newspaper. Seems like we have an overflow of production crew and on-air talent on hfboards that always knows how to do everything better and always knows NBC/OLN/ESPN is shit.

I'm looking forward to continue watching hockey without having to worry about if the commentators are to my gusto...

1st world problems I suppose

ESPN is going to be busy pushing their BS agenda and all their ideals.

So if someone on HF Boards could commentate on hockey without telling me how awful the police are, I'd love it.

I haven't watched ESPN in years because they became less sports oriented and tried to get into being a social commentary channel. It was awful.

Their baseball broadcasts have sucked because they insist on Jessica Mendoza being on them. Now hockey will get the same thing. The ability and knowledge doesn't matter, but if you're in certain groups you get used and promoted. It's absurd.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
My problem with NBC was their complete neutering of NHLN and seemingly all their attempts to show as little hockey as possible.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
ESPN is going to be busy pushing their BS agenda and all their ideals.

So if someone on HF Boards could commentate on hockey without telling me how awful the police are, I'd love it.

I haven't watched ESPN in years because they became less sports oriented and tried to get into being a social commentary channel. It was awful.

Their baseball broadcasts have sucked because they insist on Jessica Mendoza being on them. Now hockey will get the same thing. The ability and knowledge doesn't matter, but if you're in certain groups you get used and promoted. It's absurd.
Pretty sure you're the only one mentioning "the police" in this thread. Maybe the problem is yours?

Reactions: IamNotADancer

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I just wish that the ESPN broadcasts don't grow the same bias for the same 5 teams again

I remember a few seasons ago that a Predators game was going to be shown on nationwide TV near the end of a season. The Preds won a few games in a row and clinched a playoff spot. I turn on the game and it is the Bruins, who were fighting for the last spot. I was so angry that I wanted to pull an Elvis Presley. Nashville, the scheduled host, is winning games and they get pulled for a team that may not make the playoffs. My take away, winning is bad if you started playing in 1998; losing is good if you started playing in 1924.

Other teams on all the time, Caps (15 games), Chicago & Boston (12 games), Rangers (17 games)...

Nashville was on NBC/NBCSN 4 times and 3 of those games were against Chicago. The Preds won 2 of those games and lost the other one in OT. Must be why the Hawks came in 6th place!

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I remember a few seasons ago that a Predators game was going to be shown on nationwide TV near the end of a season. The Preds won a few games in a row and clinched a playoff spot. I turn on the game and it is the Bruins, who were fighting for the last spot. I was so angry that I wanted to pull an Elvis Presley. Nashville, the scheduled host, is winning games and they get pulled for a team that may not make the playoffs. My take away, winning is bad if you started playing in 1998; losing is good if you started playing in 1924.

Other teams on all the time, Caps (15 games), Chicago & Boston (12 games), Rangers (17 games)...

Nashville was on NBC/NBCSN 4 times and 3 of those games were against Chicago. The Preds won 2 of those games and lost the other one in OT. Must be why the Hawks came in 6th place!
Literally they love the caps, pens, hawks, rangers, and wings for whatever reason. NBC absolutely didn't care for any team that was relevant, but they are fine showing blackhawks games when they're near the bottom of the standings. Always frustrated me

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Literally they love the caps, pens, hawks, rangers, and wings for whatever reason. NBC absolutely didn't care for any team that was relevant, but they are fine showing blackhawks games when they're near the bottom of the standings. Always frustrated me

If it wasn't for Chicago, the only Preds game would have been against Tampa Bay, who they lost 7 of 8 games against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad