RIP NHL on NBC/NBSN

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If it wasn't for Chicago, the only Preds game would have been against Tampa Bay, who they lost 7 of 8 games against.
I remember NBC doing a game between the Bolts and Jackets in 2019 and the only thing of note was that pierre was almost hit by a puck

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
So NHL.tv is no more if you want to watch your teams out of market games?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I remember NBC doing a game between the Bolts and Jackets in 2019 and the only thing of note was that pierre was almost hit by a puck

I was watching that game. I remember thinking thank goodness that Pierre did not get hit in the head. Then I was thinking if he did get hit, would it change his personality? Then I felt bad for thinking that about another person!

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
P

Plenty will be shown on ESPN ESPN Plus and Disney Plus
Apparently NHL TV will be taken over by ESPN+/Disney - for an additional cost.
Which nobody has.

Which nobody has or wants to get.
That's just it.

As a long time subscriber to the NHL Center Ice package - games on ESPN pre-2004 where on ESPN/ESPN2 and there was OLN/VS/NBC/NBCSN - they were all part of a standard cable/sat tv package...Now I'm not sure what to think here since ESPN+/Disney is going to have their own streaming service...The league didn't help the fans much here - just taking the $$$ instead.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So NHL.tv is no more if you want to watch your teams out of market games?
ESPN+/Disney apparently is taking over NHL TV via streaming.

From what I understand there'll be 75 games 'exclusively' on their streaming service - not sure what will go down with the Center Ice package?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
They'll have to find a substitute for Detroit and maybe Dallas, but something tells me the Capitals and Bruins will comfortably do that. I'm assuming the other three you speak of are the Avs, Rangers, and Penguins.
chicago
rangers
penguins
bruins
wings
thats pretty much the five, but then you add in the caps and co

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

From what I understand there'll be 75 games 'exclusively' on their streaming service - not sure what will go down with the Center Ice package?

WTF.. this is horrible

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
chicago
rangers
penguins
bruins
wings
thats pretty much the five, but then you add in the caps and co

Ah. When you said "same five teams" about ESPN, I read that as talking about who the "hot teams" were when ESPN had the NHL, which had me thinking Wings/Avs/Stars/Penguins/Rangers. For anyone who may not be old enough to remember - yes, the Stars were very accomplished and had a lot of star-power (no pun intended) back during the last ESPN years, so they were a popular choice. Whereas, another website I'm a regular on, it was usually the "NBC 7" we didn't care for, consisting of the five teams you speak of + Washington and Philly.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Ah. When you said "same five teams" about ESPN, I read that as talking about who the "hot teams" were when ESPN had the NHL, which had me thinking Wings/Avs/Stars/Penguins/Rangers. For anyone who may not be old enough to remember - yes, the Stars were very accomplished and had a lot of star-power (no pun intended) back during the last ESPN years, so they were a popular choice. Whereas, another website I'm a regular on, it was usually the "NBC 7" we didn't care for, consisting of the five teams you speak of + Washington and Philly.
i would gladly want to see the stars back in relevance over the damn blackhawks and wings who are both in the crapper

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
so is that better than the (checks notes) 75 national games that ESPN has agreed to show?
What does ESPN’s new deal to air NHL games mean for viewers?

I mean, feel free to dunk on NBC for a number of reasons (and a good number of those reasons are probably reasonable and valid), but broadcasting a large number of games shouldn't be one of them, even if you had to check NBC/NBCSN/USA/CNBC/etc. As mentioned, ESPN is showing 75 games. Stretch that over 26 weeks, and that's about 3 games a week. NBC would do that in a night, multiple nights a week.

But I guess you won't have to search for a game when ESPN won't be showing most of them.
1519230368-giphy-7.gif

And I imagine this is where you come in with the "but you get ESPN+ for $5.99 a month", or whatever tf it is.
Lol what the hell? Relax champ

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
i would gladly want to see the stars back in relevance over the damn blackhawks and wings who are both in the crapper
Do people in Dallas care about the current Stars product? Not from what I've heard. Why would anyone else care? Chicago and Detroit are original six teams in the U.S. that even casual sports fans can recognize.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Exclusively?

Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: DaveG

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Never forget the great runs of NHL Hockey on OLN and Versus :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I did appreciate NBC covering the game on a major network at a time when the league was coming off of the 04-05 lockout. It wasn't perfect (like when the conference finals was interupted for Horse racing) but it was better than nothing at all, especially when streaming wasn't a thing.

So thanks for the 16 year run NBC and here's to (hopefully) successful coverage going back to ESPN and a new home on TNT :cheers:

MSNBC and USA aren't major networks. They're subsidiaries. May as well be the NHL Network.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Exclusively?

Seems like a recipe for disaster.
Copied/pasted...

"ESPN and the NHL announced a seven-year deal on Wednesday, returning hockey to ESPN for the first time since 2004. Included will be 25 regular-season games on ESPN or ABC, early-round playoff series and one conference final each year, four Stanley Cup Final series on ABC and more than 1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+. ESPN+ and Hulu will be home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season."

NHL back on ESPN with 7-year multiplatform deal

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm going to miss the NHL games on NBC and NBCSN. I liked the commentators they had (devils fan here) especially since Doc was their go to guy for all the big games. Loved how they had the guys between the glass. Missed seeing Millbury and Roneick this past season. NBC did a pretty good job with their coverage , I hope watching games on ESPN and TNT will be on par or better than NBC.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
MSNBC and USA aren't major networks. They're subsidiaries. May as well be the NHL Network.

I don't know about that. In my experience MSNBC and USA are always included in the basic package whereas you need to pay an extra $20-$40 for the "premium" tier to get the NHL network on most platforms.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
USA is absolutely a major cable network. It TBS and a few others are the networks that helped get cable of the ground.
USA is however a little past it's prime with the re-runs and older movies it shows moving to networked owned streaming services like Peacock and Paramount, but as Bandit said above it is a Network that is included in every cable package and not a buy up tier like the NHL Network is.

MSNBC is completely different story

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Pretty sure you're the only one mentioning "the police" in this thread. Maybe the problem is yours?

Guess you don't see the stuff that ESPN has pushed out, supported, promoted, or the people they've given voices too like Lebron?

Cause that's clearly what I was talking about, how ESPN, not this thread.

Take a seat.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Guess you don't see the stuff that ESPN has pushed out, supported, promoted, or the people they've given voices too like Lebron?

Cause that's clearly what I was talking about, how ESPN, not this thread.

Take a seat.

So if someone on HF Boards could commentate on hockey without telling me how awful the police are, I'd love it.

Take your own advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad