RIP NHL on NBC/NBSN

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd be very surprised if it could get worse. NBC was hot doodoo butter for hockey. The product was the antithesis of direction that entertainment is heading and got worse every year. Good riddance.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Pretty uneventful but it's not totally their fault. I honestly do believe the NHL lost a lot of its luster and have been in a multiple decade slump, similar to MLB and WWF/WWE. Product became garbage in the mid to late 90s and we've seen surges here and there I guess. NBC was pretty generic but I don't blame them too much.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
NBC was alright. Generic is a great word to describe what they did. They never seemed to try much new and didn't do a great job marketing in my opinion.. or maybe the amount of people that would flip on NBCSN was just capped.

I think ESPN brings more eyes to the game. Put McDavid on TV and people will enjoying watching hockey.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'm definitely in the minority that liked NBCSN. It might be a bad memory but I don't recall better coverage/more available games on Versus, Outdoor Network, and certainly not ESPN. I fear ESPN is going to make between/post-game coverage unbearable, like those clips of the guy screaming the entire time acting like he's making TikTok videos :skeptic:

Reactions: iamjs

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
ESPN and the NHL are like oil and water, cant see this being good for us NHL fans

I think the time has come to give ESPN another try. Allot has changed in the media landscape since they were an NHL partner. Don't discount the competition with Turner Sports will push them to up their game with the production value. (and vice versa)

I think the NHL made the right decision to go with only a 7 year deal. That's really not a very long time. If they don't like how it goes, NBC or other media entities can still be an option for the next contract.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
It was an ok but I am happy the NHL is back on ESPN. It literally is the destination for sports fans and they have been talking NHL more now that they have the contract. It really does spill over into the broader casual. Even FOX personalities are jumping in - because they essentially copy everything ESPN does. Skip Bayless was SUCH a hockey hater after the lockout.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
End of an era I was still in school when nhl on nbc started it’s current run

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
NBC should bring back the NBA, you could tell they really didn't give a crap about the NHL, lol.
i wouldn't say they didn't give a crap about the NHL. i think they did the best they could in trying to market the league and sport to the general public. unfortunately, most NHL players have the personalities of brick walls so there's only so much you can do with that. another poster said NHL on NBC was "generic" and i think that sums it up perfectly, especially in regards to the personalities they had on for the last decade or so

ESPN is capable of doing more with the NHL than NBC was, in my opinion, because they're a sport-focused outlet with a much bigger sports-minded audience, not to mention they've put together a good list of talent so far. i think NBC did a good job covering/marketing the early winter classic/stadium series games, but as more of them were played, interest waned

i do agree that the NBA should return to NBC. grew up on that and it was a perfect match

Reactions: iamjs

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
I’ll never forget how they put the ducks oilers series in 2017 on some random ass channel. I think it was golf or cooking

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't have high expectations that it will happen but the only thing I hated about NBC that I hope ESPN might fix is the shit scheduling. Constantly putting the time slots in a position where the early game would overrun the late game was obnoxious, particularly in the playoffs.

boboche

Oct 11, 2017
Los Altos, CA
Looks like I'm in the minority here but I quite enjoyed NBC. I'll miss Tappen, Sharpie, Carter, Moore, etc. At least they don't talk about the Leafs all the time when it's totally irrelevant to the game currently played like it is on Canadian broadcasts

Pierre Maguire can be annoying but he's someone "I like to hate". I won't miss Ed Olczyk at all though. He was bad.

Hopefully there will be less black outs; Always super annoyed when say a Habs-Bruins game is blacked out in California. I really want a better online experience so I can cut off cable; Sucks that none of the playoffs game were available on nhl.tv

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008

so is that better than the (checks notes) 75 national games that ESPN has agreed to show?
What does ESPN’s new deal to air NHL games mean for viewers?

I mean, feel free to dunk on NBC for a number of reasons (and a good number of those reasons are probably reasonable and valid), but broadcasting a large number of games shouldn't be one of them, even if you had to check NBC/NBCSN/USA/CNBC/etc. As mentioned, ESPN is showing 75 games. Stretch that over 26 weeks, and that's about 3 games a week. NBC would do that in a night, multiple nights a week.

But I guess you won't have to search for a game when ESPN won't be showing most of them.
1519230368-giphy-7.gif

And I imagine this is where you come in with the "but you get ESPN+ for $5.99 a month", or whatever tf it is.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
so is that better than the (checks notes) 75 national games that ESPN has agreed to show?
What does ESPN’s new deal to air NHL games mean for viewers?

I mean, feel free to dunk on NBC for a number of reasons (and a good number of those reasons are probably reasonable and valid), but broadcasting a large number of games shouldn't be one of them, even if you had to check NBC/NBCSN/USA/CNBC/etc. As mentioned, ESPN is showing 75 games. Stretch that over 26 weeks, and that's about 3 games a week. NBC would do that in a night, multiple nights a week.

But I guess you won't have to search for a game when ESPN won't be showing most of them.
1519230368-giphy-7.gif

And I imagine this is where you come in with the "but you get ESPN+ for $5.99 a month", or whatever tf it is.
Bingo. Who cares how popular NBCSN is or how their broadcasters called games? The bottom line is, they showed lots of games. ESPN won't. You're getting less coverage with ESPN, even if more bartenders know the channel.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Bingo. Who cares how popular NBCSN is or how their broadcasters called games? The bottom line is, they showed lots of games. ESPN won't. You're getting less coverage with ESPN, even if more bartenders know the channel.
I find it humorous with how many appear to be willing to kick NBC to the curb and move on as though it was a nasty habit.

It's these very same fans who are likely too young to remember ESPN showcasing poker tournaments instead of NHL games during the last few seasons while under contract.

IMHO it was a rocky start with OLN - then VS, but after a few seasons things got rolling and NBC/NBCSN became the flagship - the quality of the product and the number of games improved considerably (Winter Classic anyone?).

NBC and it's affiliates did a fine job.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Pretty uneventful but it's not totally their fault. I honestly do believe the NHL lost a lot of its luster and have been in a multiple decade slump, similar to MLB and WWF/WWE. Product became garbage in the mid to late 90s and we've seen surges here and there I guess. NBC was pretty generic but I don't blame them too much.
MLB is being killed by its comish and wrestling is its own issue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad