#Rinne4Vezina...habs lose 3-2 OT

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Are the local pro hockey players giving Galchenyuk tips on how to hold the stick now? Fantastic.

How can anyone complain about that game? They actually played really well, they battled really hard.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

I got who I wanted. He's already a good player. That's not up for debate, however his current cold streak is maddening.

That puck needed to put in the back of the net. But he's lost right now and he's not pulling his weight. I can't imagine anyone liking what they're seeing from him right now.

No one is above criticism. I'm definitely not hoping for a trade demotion or other senseless movement. I'm just observing what he's doing right now.

As for the winger or centre bit, he has spent more time on the wing then any other position. Also, centre or winger, can't miss that open net...

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
if I recall correctly he made a big bang the first couple of games and then it faded away

He did fade away. He had 2 points +0 in his last 6 games as center. But i've always been a supporter of evaluating players based on the whole picture and not the last few games. All first line centers have droughts. Many ups and downs in a season few players can be like Price this year.

Crosby had 2 points in 6 games from january 20 to february 4.
Kopitar had 2 points in 9 games from november 20 to december 9
Toews had 1 points in 7 games from january 21 to february 8

DD had many droughts too. Usually it takes more than 6 games for him to be removed from the first line. Even more to be removed from center.

He had 3 points -3 in 9 games from march 2 to march 17. He was removed from first line after the first 8 games of this sequence but was still centering the 2nd line and he was put back on first line after 2 games where he did not do much.

Yes Galchenyuk faded away for 6 games but overall he still had 9 points in 11 games as a center and the team was still winning (team was 4-2 in those 6 games and scored 2.67 goals on average). MT could have waited another 4-5 games for his overall stats as center to be bad before removing him. He pulled the plug early imo.

I'm sure guys like Toews, Crosby and Kopitar had droughts the first year they played as center. I don't even have to check i know they had. What is important is the overall picture. Galchenyuk had 9 points in 11 games. That's the only thing that matters to me. How he got those i don't really care. I think MT should have gave him the opportunity to prove he could sustain this production.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Good game between 2 pretty evenly matched teams.

We committed a few totally unforced errors and terrible pinches but in the end, the win could have gone either way. Felt like the Preds had a little more puck luck.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Our beat writer put out this GIF; figured you may want it since Price nonchalantly made a stupid amazing save

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
How many years are we going to have to watch Galchenyuk at wing? You can't keep him there too long or he'll never be a centreman, enough is enough.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
How many years are we going to have to watch Galchenyuk at wing? You can't keep him there too long or he'll never be a centreman, enough is enough.

For this year it's too late. Gotta live or die with DD. But i sure hope next year he gonna start as a center.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
He did fade away. He had 2 points +0 in his last 6 games as center. But i've always been a supporter of evaluating players based on the whole picture and not the last few games. All first line centers have droughts. Many ups and downs in a season few players can be like Price this year.

Crosby had 2 points in 6 games from january 20 to february 4.
Kopitar had 2 points in 9 games from november 20 to december 9
Toews had 1 points in 7 games from january 21 to february 8

DD had many droughts too. Usually it takes more than 6 games for him to be removed from the first line. Even more to be removed from center.

He had 3 points -3 in 9 games from march 2 to march 17. He was removed from first line after the first 8 games of this sequence but was still centering the 2nd line and he was put back on first line after 2 games where he did not do much.

Yes Galchenyuk faded away for 6 games but overall he still had 9 points in 11 games as a center and the team was still winning (team was 4-2 in those 6 games and scored 2.67 goals on average). MT could have waited another 4-5 games for his overall stats as center to be bad before removing him. He pulled the plug early imo.

I'm sure guys like Toews, Crosby and Kopitar had droughts the first year they played as center. I don't even have to check i know they had. What is important is the overall picture. Galchenyuk had 9 points in 11 games. That's the only thing that matters to me. How he got those i don't really care. I think MT should have gave him the opportunity to prove he could sustain this production.

so I did remember correctly!

but yeah I agree for the most part. Maybe remove him from his #1 center position for 1/2/3 game to shake him up and then test him again...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
why is that?

Cause you can't learn to win faceoffs while not practicing it and learning to win faceoffs can take as much as 2-3 years. Same for the defensive play. It can take as much as 3 years to learn to be a good center (not talking about the offensive side of it) and you don't learn that from the wings. Price and Patch don't get younger.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Cause you can't learn to win faceoffs while not practicing it and learning to win faceoffs can take as much as 2-3 years. Same for the defensive play. It can take as much as 3 years to learn to be a good center (not talking about the offensive side of it) and you don't learn that from the wings. Price and Patch don't get younger.

do you know if he's not practicing face-offs now? Even if he's not who's to say how long it would take him to learn since he has been a center for most of his life if I recall correctly. Galchenyuk turned 21 last month, it's not like he doesn't have a long time in the NHL ahead of him baring career ending injuries.

I think some put too much stock in Galchenyuk must be a center now. As long as he continues to develop his offensive game, that's all I care about.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
why is that?

I'm concerned with him losing his instincts at centre. He missed an entire year of development from the knee surgery and then played half an OHL season before going to MTL and playing wing for 3 years.

I understand wanting to bring him into the pro game at wing to acclimate himself, but it's year 3. There's no good reason for him to still be on wing. It's not like the team has Getzlaf and Kesler blocking him. He's easily the most talented centreman on the team, yet still at wing when the team lacks creative and offense. It makes very little, if not zero, sense still have him on wing.

do you know if he's not practicing face-offs now? Even if he's not who's to say how long it would take him to learn since he has been a center for most of his life if I recall correctly. Galchenyuk turned 21 last month, it's not like he doesn't have a long time in the NHL ahead of him baring career ending injuries.

I think some put too much stock in Galchenyuk must be a center now. As long as he continues to develop his offensive game, that's all I care about.

He's stagnated at wing IMO. It's not just the current slump, but he's losing creativity at that position and becoming too much of a north-south player when that's not his strength.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianODST

Dec 17, 2014
I'm concerned with him losing his instincts at centre. He missed an entire year of development from the knee surgery and then played half an OHL season before going to MTL and playing wing for 3 years.

I understand wanting to bring him into the pro game at wing to acclimate himself, but it's year 3. There's no good reason for him to still be on wing. It's not like the team has Getzlaf and Kesler blocking him. He's easily the most talented centreman on the team, yet still at wing when the team lacks creative and offense. It makes very little, if not zero, sense still have him on wing.
He won't be moved until he starts producing again, this slump is killer right now.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He won't be moved until he starts producing again, this slump is killer right now.

I think it's more of he won't be moved until Bergevin either makes teh room for him by moving people, or removes the coach. I cannot imagine he's overly pleased with him still being at wing, but he has too much faith in the coaches and doesn't want to meddle.

Especially after having to do it a couple times already this season.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
For this year it's too late. Gotta live or die with DD. But i sure hope next year he gonna start as a center.

I disagree. Galchenyuk was nearly PPG while centering Pacioretty. Desharnais has had 3 years to prove himself, last year centering two 40 goal scorers. This year he only has one and we have the lowest offense of all the playoff teams and it's not even close.

Live or die by Galchenyuk or Eller. Anybody but DD.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Some idiot Habs fan actually made a thread on the main boards saying this is the worst team of the top teams of the league?

Embarrassing :facepalm:, as if the Habs don't get enough hate on here.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Some idiot Habs fan actually made a thread on the main boards saying this is the worst team of the top teams of the league?

I'd rather read that, than another Subban bashing to try and make Karlsson look better.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada

Wasn't that thread started by a Leafs fan, who basically said that Montreal = Leafs with better goaltending and that without Price we would be in a lottery position? Unless another thread of the same type was created afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad