#Rinne4Vezina...habs lose 3-2 OT

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
He's stagnated at wing IMO. It's not just the current slump, but he's losing creativity at that position and becoming too much of a north-south player when that's not his strength.

He was a winger for a long time in junior. If he's losing creativity it's probably because the guy isn't playing very well. A talent is a talent is a talent.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Wasn't that thread started by a Leafs fan, who basically said that Montreal = Leafs with better goaltending and that without Price we would be in a lottery position? Unless another thread of the same type was created afterwards.

No, it was a thread created by a so-called Habs fan last night after the loss to the Preds. This is why we can't have nice things people.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm concerned with him losing his instincts at centre. He missed an entire year of development from the knee surgery and then played half an OHL season before going to MTL and playing wing for 3 years.

I understand wanting to bring him into the pro game at wing to acclimate himself, but it's year 3. There's no good reason for him to still be on wing. It's not like the team has Getzlaf and Kesler blocking him. He's easily the most talented centreman on the team, yet still at wing when the team lacks creative and offense. It makes very little, if not zero, sense still have him on wing.

He's stagnated at wing IMO. It's not just the current slump, but he's losing creativity at that position and becoming too much of a north-south player when that's not his strength.

Perhaps he could lose his instincts but perhaps he can pick them up just as easily, it's impossible to know how a player will react over time. But just because he hasn't been at center doesn't mean he can't do it again in the future, even if it's a couple years from now imo. Galchenyuk is the 2nd most talented forward on the team imo, but I just don't think he has to be at center, but I do think it makes some sense if they feel his defensive game isn't up to par or if they don't want to put the pressure on him.

As for him stagnating, he's put up career highs across the board, perhaps learning the north south game will bode well for him down the road when he hits his prime.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He was a winger for a long time in junior. If he's losing creativity it's probably because the guy isn't playing very well. A talent is a talent is a talent.

lol no he wasn't. He played some wing his final season with Sarnia (which wasn't a full season) at the request of Montreal to help with the transition to the NHL where they planned to start him as a winger.

Perhaps he could lose his instincts but perhaps he can pick them up just as easily, it's impossible to know how a player will react over time. But just because he hasn't been at center doesn't mean he can't do it again in the future, even if it's a couple years from now imo. Galchenyuk is the 2nd most talented forward on the team imo, but I just don't think he has to be at center, but I do think it makes some sense if they feel his defensive game isn't up to par or if they don't want to put the pressure on him.

As for him stagnating, he's put up career highs across the board, perhaps learning the north south game will bode well for him down the road when he hits his prime.

His defensive game is and cannot possibly be worse than Desharnais' which is non-existent. The thing for me is, there's no one realistically blocking him from playing centre except for a coach who has a love for wee Davey. There really isn't a single thing he does better than Galchenyuk IMO, except maybe faceoffs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His defensive game is and cannot possibly be worse than Desharnais' which is non-existent. The thing for me is, there's no one realistically blocking him from playing centre except for a coach who has a love for wee Davey. There really isn't a single thing he does better than Galchenyuk IMO, except maybe faceoffs.

It could be worse since his defensive game isn't a strong point of his. As for DD, he's a better passer and better vision then Galchenyuk.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Some idiot Habs fan actually made a thread on the main boards saying this is the worst team of the top teams of the league?

Embarrassing :facepalm:, as if the Habs don't get enough hate on here.

Well we're in the worst 10 of the league for goals, shots for and shots against. Our team is goaltending.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It could be worse since his defensive game isn't a strong point of his. As for DD, he's easily a better vision/passer then Galchenyuk.

I disagree, but that's a subjective metric from viewing so I'll leave it at that since it's not worth debating.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Did he tell Subban and Markov to circle out wide opening up the entire centre of the ice ?

Please. he had total control of the puck, skating back into his zone, and blind backhanded it back up the middle. D-men aren't expected to anticipate that kind of **** up.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Please. he had total control of the puck, skating back into his zone, and blind backhanded it back up the middle. D-men aren't expected to anticipate that kind of **** up.

Yeah, but he gave the puck to a guy in the neutral zone. It wasn't like it happened in our zone, which would have allowed less time to react to the play.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Personally i never could find any proofs of that.

All scouting web sites i know consider him primarily as a center. None of them have any information about when he was playing in Europe. According to wiki he moved to Europe to follow his father when he was four before starting to play hockey seriously and he moved back to USA at 15 which is kind of old at this age you are already far in your junior progression. I can't find any information if he was playing wings or center in Europe. But we know the year before being drafted he played center, the year he was drafter he did not play and the year after he played half a season on the wing. It leaves only one season in North America with Chicago. So unless you have information about which position he played in europe ...

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

While I'm not big on MT and have no faith in him, I have a feeling Galchenyuk will get the opportunity to play to play center next year.

We are so close to the playoffs now and MT is not the kind of coach to change things around last minute. He pretty much makes up his mind from day 1.

I hope this is the case anyways as I don't think Chucky's skillset is well suited to playing wing. He is not big or fast enough to really challenge defensemen wide so most dmen know he will look to pass or dangle.

At center, he will get to use his vison and playmaking ability much better and will have more room to maneuver the puck.

If MT does not stat him at center next year, Bergevin should really step in and have a word with him.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Yeah, but he gave the puck to a guy in the neutral zone. It wasn't like it happened in our zone, which would have allowed less time to react to the play.

I'm questioning how much hockey you've played if you don't understand how hard it is for defenders to react effectively when the puck is turned over like that, improbably, and suddenly the other team is coming back full NHL speed just as you've left your defensive posture to adjust for a breakout.

That's actually even worse than a zone turnover, because at least the D has some anticipation that passes & clears in the zone will fail if opposition is around. Pleks' turnover was completely unsolicited.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If Pax doesn't blow his load on that shot, it doesn't whip around the board and bounce over Subban's stick. I put the onus on Pax here. Hit the ****ing net dude.

Also, 4 vs 3 in OT pretty much always result in a goal. It's pretty crappy. Bad way to end what was an otherwise great game. Calls seemed to be a bit one sided though...

You'e too much of a Subban fan. Others are less likely to acquit him of that lapse.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Can we please please please leave Mitchell and Flynn out of the damn line up? we never needed them, and we're better with Malhotra + Weise.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Really? The very year after he was drafted he was put mostly on the right wing of the line with Sarault and Boucher, which was their top line. This was, of course, the year that he eventually joined the Habs.

(Just one article of many)

It's half a year ...

I was asking for proofs that he is a natural winger who played wing most of his junior.

"Galchenyuk has played mostly on the right wing this season, a change from his usual centre position, and it has added another element of versatility to his game. "

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It's half a year ...

I was asking for proofs that he is a natural winger who played wing most of his junior.

"Galchenyuk has played mostly on the right wing this season, a change from his usual centre position, and it has added another element of versatility to his game. "

Actually, the post you quoted most recently said: "He was a winger for a long time in junior." Which he kinda was.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Actually, the post you quoted most recently said: "He was a winger for a long time in junior." Which he kinda was.

He only played 35 games (41 if you want to count playoffs) in his final two years in junior (only 2 games as a 17 year old because of injury), I wouldn't really call that a long time. If I'm not mistaken, he played mostly C as a 16 year old in Sarnia.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He only played 35 games (41 if you want to count playoffs) in his final two years in junior (only 2 games as a 17 year old because of injury), I wouldn't really call that a long time. If I'm not mistaken, he played mostly C as a 16 year old in Sarnia.

He played the entire year as a centre with Nail Yakupov. Their 17 year old season was supposed to be "the year" but he blew his knee. When he was 18 during the lock out, I watched him play 4 times and he played RW and C throughout the game and D on the power play.

He's versatile, which is a tell tale sign of a centreman.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It could be worse since his defensive game isn't a strong point of his. As for DD, he's a better passer and better vision then Galchenyuk.

I don't necessarily agree. I find DD's passing ability to be extremely overrated by habs fans, both proponents and detractors. For every amazing pass he makes, he makes 4 or 5 really ridiculous dumb passes, both in terms of accuracy and general creativity. For a player who's ability is strictly playmaking, I find he has a hard time creating plays consistently when not paired with Max Pacioretty. When DD's passes get through, they are usually smooth and tape to tape which gives off the appearance of high passing ability, but he makes so many forced and telegraphed passes, too many for me to say that he's that much better than Chucky and has superior vision.

Let's not forget that Chucky doesn't really get the benefit of playing at centre ice which suits his style of play a lot more. We haven't really allowed Galchenyuk to exploit and show off his talent. DD appears like the better passer because he gets the benefit of playing with team's best sniper, one of the best in the league, not to mention that all he does is pass.

I really don't know what the Habs are waiting for. DD has played almost 70% of his season next a possible 40 goal scorer and 70 point player and might not even crack 50 points this year. When you add in all the PP time and favorable offensive assignments, it just isn't good enough. The fact that team has a potentially better offensive centre just makes it even worse.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I don't necessarily agree. I find DD's passing ability to be extremely overrated by habs fans, both proponents and detractors. For every amazing pass he makes, he makes 4 or 5 really ridiculous dumb passes, both in terms of accuracy and general creativity. For a player who's ability is strictly playmaking, I find he has a hard time creating plays consistently when not paired with Max Pacioretty. When DD's passes get through, they are usually smooth and tape to tape which gives off the appearance of high passing ability, but he makes so many forced and telegraphed passes, too many for me to say that he's that much better than Chucky and has superior vision.

Let's not forget that Chucky doesn't really get the benefit of playing at centre ice which suits his style of play a lot more. We haven't really allowed Galchenyuk to exploit and show off his talent. DD appears like the better passer because he gets the benefit of playing with team's best sniper, one of the best in the league, not to mention that all he does is pass.

I find if Desharnais has the time and space he's a very good passer, but he refuses to take a hit to make a play which really limits his options when the checking gets tight. That's when you see him completely disappear and/or try to force passes that aren't there yet.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I find if Desharnais has the time and space he's a very good passer, but he refuses to take a hit to make a play which really limits his options when the checking gets tight. That's when you see him completely disappear and/or try to force passes that aren't there yet.

I think he'll take a hit to make a play.

He sees the game well enough as a passer, but his hands fail him too often.

Also, he overcompensates looking for the pass way too much when he has patches on his line.

Even pap is looking pass way too much on that line, the DD goal aside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00