Prospect Info: Riley Heidt, C, 64th Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
So what’s the plan for next year? The kid needs to be playing against better competition

I’d love to see him in Europe.

CHL is such a stone in my shoe

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So what’s the plan for next year? The kid needs to be playing against better competition

I'd be shocked if he goes to Europe. So many reason s not to do that, unless you have a strong, personal connection there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

NHL or CHL are the only options. He's under the standard CHL contract and the only way out of the league is to be on the NHL roster.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's not like he is some huge man child. He could use another year in the gym, eating, and just plain old maturing. He might well gain an inch, and 10 lbs, with the extra year, as well as the extra strength maturity brings.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
NHL or CHL are the only options. He's under the standard CHL contract and the only way out of the league is to be on the NHL roster.

Yeah, unless he surprises everyone and goes the Europe route, I don't see a scenario other than him playing another year in the CHL.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah, unless he surprises everyone and goes the Europe route, I don't see a scenario other than him playing another year in the CHL.

Without getting into the all the different Euro league rules. As a blanket statement, Euro leagues limit the number of import players per team. Those spots are going to go to more accomplished players. Not a kid who, hasn't played their league's style of hockey, needs development, and is gone the next year to the NHL/AHL

It comes down to the CHL rule that doesn't allow for their players to leave until they are over 20 or have 4 years in the league unless it's for a major league team. Which leagues (outside of the NHL) constitute a major league team in the eyes of the CHL? It's asking for a lawsuit and likely the player ends up in limbo and sits out the year as it's being litigated.

Reactions: 57special

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Keep producing points in the WHL, add 5lbs, and play a significant role for Canada WJC. Then polish up his defensive game. Take the slow route with him and he'll be great

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbcraig1883

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
less than 2 points per game? bust, throw him back for a bigger fish. i can't believe more posters aren't talking about him. 47gms - 27G 56A for 83 pts.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We were talking about him quite a bit, but he has cooled off a bit since the Christmas break. I think it has more to do with the lines being broken up in PG, with Ziemmer coming back. I think it was Heidt, Parascak, and Funk that were doing all the damage earlier, but the coach is probably trying to spread out the scoring so they have two very dangerous lines. That can mess up the chemistry a bit, especially for a passer like Heidt.

No one knows why Heidt moved down so far in the draft, so at this point we just going to have to see how he, and his game, develops. A couple of years from now we could find out that the scouts actually knew something we didn't, or we might have a player on our hands.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Picking it up recently. 2nd in total points and P/pg, after Firkus, who is a year older. His FO% has been dipping, and his now down to 52%.

I've mostly only watched highlights of him, which are just that, his best plays. There is lots to like, but I don't see a physically dominant player, just an above average one. ONly thing that really jumps out is is vision. Also, when we talk about release, we usually talk about release on a shot, but with him, I would say that the release on his passing is really quick. Seems to indicate that he is very cognizant of where players are before he gets the puck(some call it scanning), which allows him to get it off quickly if necessary, before he is checked. Some vg junior players such as Barzal were the opposite, and held onto the puck too long at times.

Anyway, it's an underrated skill, and should play well in the pros. As for his other tools like skating, strength, shooting, positioning, FO's, and just overall maturing.... he's just going to have to get better. It will happen faster if he trains his ass off during the summer, probably, but not everyone is the same. Some bodies take longer to mature, some hit their peak when they are 16yo. No idea what Heidt is - I would guess average?

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Picking it up recently. 2nd in total points and P/pg, after Firkus, who is a year older. His FO% has been dipping, and his now down to 52%.

I've mostly only watched highlights of him, which are just that, his best plays. There is lots to like, but I don't see a physically dominant player, just an above average one. ONly thing that really jumps out is is vision. Also, when we talk about release, we usually talk about release on a shot, but with him, I would say that the release on his passing is really quick. Seems to indicate that he is very cognizant of where players are before he gets the puck(some call it scanning), which allows him to get it off quickly if necessary, before he is checked. Some vg junior players such as Barzal were the opposite, and held onto the puck too long at times.

Anyway, it's an underrated skill, and should play well in the pros. As for his other tools like skating, strength, shooting, positioning, FO's, and just overall maturing.... he's just going to have to get better. It will happen faster if he trains his ass off during the summer, probably, but not everyone is the same. Some bodies take longer to mature, some hit their peak when they are 16yo. No idea what Heidt is - I would guess average?
For whatever reason, I am not super hyped about Heidt...yet. I guess I will wait and see what he does at the WJC next year.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
For whatever reason, I am not super hyped about Heidt...yet. I guess I will wait and see what he does at the WJC next year.
Same. I’m not hating, just don’t feel like drinking the kool-aid…yet.

Memories of Khovanov could be blinding me here. I’m not saying they are perfect comparisons but they do have a lot of overlap

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The difference is one’s head resides outside of his rectum
Really hard to make it as small skilled guy if you can’t really skate. Long list of guys who profile similarly and are in Europe or stuck in the AHL now.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Long list of guys of all heights and weights.
Thats extremely obvious. I’m referring to the Petans, Sam Steels etc. Guys who blew up the CHL but are classic NHL tweeners. This is a Heidt discussion so naturally we would focus on players with similar characteristics

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Russo just reported in the Athletic that "don’t be surprised if the Wild give him a long look in training camp and even give him a trial run into the regular season." and then brought up the 9 game thing so they would not burn the first year of his contract.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That is exciting. I’m doubtful he’ll be strong enough come training camp to make the team but it will be fun to see him in action either way.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
That is exciting. I’m doubtful he’ll be strong enough come training camp to make the team but it will be fun to see him in action either way.
Agreed. I am not surprised they are high on him, but I am surprised they are considering him for next year. I know many aren't a fan of Russo here but he must have heard something to have reported that...so maybe they will tell him - bust your ass of this summer in the weight room and work with Ness.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00