Prospect Info: Riley Heidt, C, 64th Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes, for U20 CHL players, it's CHL or NHL, no AHL option.

Only exception has something to do with Europeans playing in the CHL. Can't remember exactly though.

I think it's the league they were drafted out of that matters. So Kumpulainen could play in the AHL next season since he was drafted out of Finland, but Heidt will have to play in the CHL next season because he was drafted out of the CHL.

Reactions: TaLoN and BagHead

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How was Bedard able to play in the NHL this season if he is only 18 then? Is that different from him playing in the AHL?
Yes.

If the prospect goes straight to the NHL then he isn't blocked. The AHL, he is.

I don't think that he will go to the EU next year, assuming he doesn't make the NHL team. It's quite a bit of upset in terms of expense, culture, and game. Hardly worth it for a few months of hockey. Some Older NA players enjoy playing in Switzerland or the like after they are done with the NHL/AHL, but teenagers are usually laser focussed on the NHL, and aren't ready to go to Europe and enjoy the culture. The same reasons that they don't play in the AHL are in play in the SHL, etc. also. You are a 18-19 yo playing against grown men who are feeding their families with their paycheck. It can be too much, too soon, unless you are precocious physically.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yes, for U20 CHL players, it's CHL or NHL, no AHL option.

Only exception has something to do with Europeans playing in the CHL. Can't remember exactly though.
If a European player drafted from the CHL is on loan to the CHL team from their European team or league, then they are eligible to play in the AHL regardless of the U20 rule. This came up for Alexander Nylander and Julius Honka, both of whom played AHL hockey at 18 despite being drafted from the OHL and the WHL, respectively.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Not to rain on the parade (for some), but I was looking at who lead the WHL for scoring the last few years… Really underwhelming outside of Bedard. Adam Beckman lead the 19-20 season. Sam Steel lead the 16-17 season. Petan had more points than Draisaitl in 2013-14 lol

Leading the league in points means almost nothing.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Not to rain on the parade (for some), but I was looking at who lead the WHL for scoring the last few years… Really underwhelming outside of Bedard. Adam Beckman lead the 19-20 season. Sam Steel lead the 16-17 season. Petan had more points than Draisaitl in 2013-14 lol

Yes. it's a real mixed bag, and is more impressive when a prospect does it before they're drafted rather than after. Still, you also get guys like Wyatt Johnston and Jason Robertson, who both did it after their draft year and become NHL scorers.

I think caution is appropriate, but so is optimism.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Heidt is not on the preliminary roster for Canada's WJC team, but I'm not sure if he was really expected to be either.

He's still eligible for it next year.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes. it's a real mixed bag, and is more impressive when a prospect does it before they're drafted rather than after. Still, you also get guys like Wyatt Johnston and Jason Robertson, who both did it after their draft year and become NHL scorers.

I think caution is appropriate, but so is optimism.
Both of those guys played in the OHL, which actually has a fairly decent history of top scorers being NHL players. Also, that stud muffin that lead the OHL in points during the 19–20 season. He’s pretty good.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Can’t get excited if your guys are doing good.
(Obviously) can’t get excited if your guys aren’t.
Paradox.

Never too high, never too low

Just like the on ice product, actually

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Can’t get excited if your guys are doing good.
(Obviously) can’t get excited if your guys aren’t.
Paradox.
Not picking on him, more the league he is in. It's obviously better to be atop your league than not. I'd like to see him play somewhere else next year. This is his fourth straight year with games in the WHL. Third straight full season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Thanks, I hate it.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

So you’re saying there’s a 20% chance he becomes as good as Bedard? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Minnesota

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Being in the top 5 does mean something:
19-20: Seth Jarvis (better PPG than Beckman) and Connor Zary were in the top 5
20-21: Peyton Krebs (the rest are meh, and a shortened season)
21-22: Logan Stankoven, Connor Bedard with Dylan Guenther and Matthew Savoie just outside the top 5
22-23: Connor Bedard, Zachary Benson, Logan Stankoven

Stankoven is leading the AHL in points as a rookie.

Jarvis is developing in Carolina and his point totals are increasing

Zary had 11 points in 15 games this season. He also had pretty good seasons in the AHL.

Krebs is a decent depth center, injuries kind of messed up his development.

Benson is a rookie this year and made the roster.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Being in the top 5 does mean something:
19-20: Seth Jarvis (better PPG than Beckman) and Connor Zary were in the top 5
20-21: Peyton Krebs (the rest are meh, and a shortened season)
21-22: Logan Stankoven, Connor Bedard with Dylan Guenther and Matthew Savoie just outside the top 5
22-23: Connor Bedard, Zachary Benson, Logan Stankoven

Stankoven is leading the AHL in points as a rookie.

Jarvis is developing in Carolina and his point totals are increasing

Zary had 11 points in 15 games this season. He also had pretty good seasons in the AHL.

Krebs is a decent depth center, injuries kind of messed up his development.

Benson is a rookie this year and made the roster.
Beckman had a higher ppg pace than Jarvis. This list, over a span of four years, is not that inspiring.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Beckman had a higher ppg pace than Jarvis. This list, over a span of four years, is not that inspiring.
You're right.
But Jarvis is on pace for 30+ goals. Zary is a good player. Benson is still fairly young. Gunther is developing well in the AHL. We'll see about Savoie.

I don't think people see Heidt as a franchise center. But if he develops into a top 6 which is still possible for a lower second round guy all the better

P10p

May 15, 2012
You have to factor in more than averages or "most players do this" into the equation and actually watch the player to form an opinion worth anything.

People spouted the same dribble with Rossi saying he wouldn't be a C at the NHL level because how many 5'9" centers are there. It's nonsense to form a whole opinion based on this limited data.

Yes it's not nothing, but it's also not everything.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well, this thread is turning into a buzz kill.

Whatever happened to, "Whohoo, our 2nd/3rd rounder is leading his league in points!"

Someone told us to treat Heidt as the first rounder and Stramel as the second rounder, so now we have to hold Heidt to more strict scrutiny

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Well, this thread is turning into a buzz kill.

Whatever happened to, "Whohoo, our 2nd/3rd rounder is leading his league in points!"

Never ceases to amaze! I’m proud and excited for him regardless of how meaningless his WHL scoring “may” be on his potential future NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad