Prospect Info: Riley Heidt, C, 64th Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

brainfreeze

Jul 12, 2012
Bemidji
One writeup describes him as "nasty physically" and "an enthusiastic combatant in scrums" while another describes him as having "mediocre speed and compete" and "wouldn’t call him a high-energy type who wins a lot of battles"

Interesting how two sets of eyes almost see two different players.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I am naked because it's so bloody humid
Disgusted.gif

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Now leads WHL in P/PG. Scores a lot on the PP. Is more of a distributor than a sniper. Only 67th in the league in shots. Nice FO, around 57%. So far, he's having a killer season, at least stats wise.

Reactions: Minnesota

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Everyone credits Heidt's career on his teammates. He does have a ton of PP points.

Biggest question is what do they do next season with him? Sending him back to the C after he destroyed it in two seasons would be terrible and he's not eligible for the A.

Do you see if he can go to Europe?

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
Everyone credits Heidt's career on his teammates. He does have a ton of PP points.

Biggest question is what do they do next season with him? Sending him back to the C after he destroyed it in two seasons would be terrible and he's not eligible for the A.

Could he not make the jump the Iowa?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like MN sure tries to let their young players marinate in minors or junior leagues longer than other teams? Hence, why I always feel like we're the top 5 oldest teams every year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Could he not make the jump the Iowa?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like MN sure tries to let their young players marinate in minors or junior leagues longer than other teams? Hence, why I always feel like we're the top 5 oldest teams every year.

He can't due to the CHL/NHL agreement preventing CHL players under the age of 20 from playing in the AHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Maybe last year, but this year I'd say that Heidt's teammates are feeding off him. Funk, Terascik and the like just have to stay alert, keep their stick on the ice and be ready to shoot when they are on the same line as him, because he will get them the puck. Not flashy with his passing like Granlund, but still gets the job done. Excellent vision.

As for PP points, well, your best offensive players play on the PP. The fact that he is producing there is something to note, but not necessarily a negative. You can never have to many PP talents. Heidt will just be breaking into the league when Zucc is gone.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018

It seems like it would be better for him to go to Europe but if the Wild sign him to an ELC they have to return him to the CHL. He'd have to decide for himself without signing with the Wild, though I'm sure they'd influence that decision plenty.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How was Bedard able to play in the NHL this season if he is only 18 then? Is that different from him playing in the AHL?
Yes, for U20 CHL players, it's CHL or NHL, no AHL option.

Only exception has something to do with Europeans playing in the CHL. Can't remember exactly though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad