Prospect Info: Riley Heidt, C, 64th Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Russo just reported in the Athletic that "don’t be surprised if the Wild give him a long look in training camp and even give him a trial run into the regular season." and then brought up the 9 game thing so they would not burn the first year of his contract.

I like the idea of this a lot. Last year the Kraken did some weird stuff with Wright where he was also eligible for an AHL conditioning stint during his 9 game NHL trial period. I wonder if the Wild will aim to do something like that with Heidt.

Given Hynes' propensities, I do question whether Heidt and some of these other prospects will actually get meaningful playing time when they're here though. Shaw still hasn't played despite being a better option than L or L, Rossi is still on the fourth line, etc.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I like the idea of this a lot. Last year the Kraken did some weird stuff with Wright where he was also eligible for an AHL conditioning stint during his 9 game NHL trial period. I wonder if the Wild will aim to do something like that with Heidt.

Given Hynes' propensities, I do question whether Heidt and some of these other prospects will actually get meaningful playing time when they're here though. Shaw still hasn't played despite being a better option than L or L, Rossi is still on the fourth line, etc.

Worst it could do is to underscore the areas of his game that he needs to improve before sending him back to Prince George.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We basically have 1 open top 9 spot next year, because I don't think they're going to trade anybody, and I don't think they're going to play Foligno on the 4th line. If Yurov doesn't come over, make it an open competition between Khusnuts, Heidt and maybe Beckman's last chance.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
We basically have 1 open top 9 spot next year, because I don't think they're going to trade anybody, and I don't think they're going to play Foligno on the 4th line. If Yurov doesn't come over, make it an open competition between Khusnuts, Heidt and maybe Beckman's last chance.
I could get behind this. Especially if it means we spend any extra $ on another solid blueliner. I also think Ohgren could compete for that spot if he has a good offseason. But knowing the Wild, it will end up being Lucchini or someone like that

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Worst it could do is to underscore the areas of his game that he needs to improve before sending him back to Prince George.

Well no. I have no delusions about him being a long shot for a roster spot. I fully expect 8-9 games, maybe some AHL time if they do what Seattle did with Wright, and then back to the CHL. Underscoring areas of his game that need to improve is the purpose of that. So learning that isn't the worst it could do. But it's going to be hard to learn much of anything if those 8-9 games are spent playing 8-9 minutes with fourth liners. The main thing we could learn if that's the plan for him is that he's not that type of player, but we already know that.

I'm not saying stick him straight on line 1 and PP1 and let him go crazy, but some of his minutes need to be with top 6-9 caliber linemates and on the PP so he actually knows how far he is from the role he's projected to fill.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Once again, Heidt is not small. He is 5'11, 180+, and will probably end up as 6' 195-200. He is not a Petan/Rossi/Shaw/Marat sized guy. What's more, he doesn't play small. Not a beast, but he is fairly strong on his skates, and will play physically at times. Think Erik Haula sized.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be very surprised if Heidt is playing in the NHL next year... maybe they'll give him 9 games, then send him back?

His team scored 9 last night, but he failed to get a point. I think his arms are tired from lifting them up in the air so many times in goal celebrations, and it's affecting his game.:sarcasm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BagHead and MuckOG

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Heidt is CHL or NHL due to his age. Kump can, do to falling under a different ruleset.
The other part of that rule is 4 full AHL seasons but I’m not sure if that 20-21 season counts as a full season.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I would be very surprised if Heidt is playing in the NHL next year... maybe they'll give him 9 games, then send him back?

His team scored 9 last night, but he failed to get a point. I think his arms are tired from lifting them up in the air so many times in goal celebrations, and it's affecting his game.:sarcasm:
Re: 9 games for Heidt. Russo/Smith mentioned it a few weeks ago, so my guess is they got that from their sources, so probably a safe bet.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Re: 9 games for Heidt. Russo/Smith mentioned it a few weeks ago, so my guess is they got that from their sources, so probably a safe bet.
Yeah when he says something like that I understand it to mean "this is the plan unless something changes."

It makes sense for both sides but especially for the Wild. I'm sure they have their idea of what parts of Heidts game could translate and what might not but why not test that out to just make completely sure and, just as importantly, make sure Heidt is on the same page about what he wont be able to get away with in the future.

People wont like it but I expect most of Heidt's 9 games to be on bottom 6 lines. I get that skilled players need to play with skilled players but Heidt is meant to be someone that drives a lines and plays with the puck on his stuck - so he should be able to do that to some extent on his own and I think this is really meant to be an evaluation more than anything. Altho that being said sometimes a player will pass such an evaluation with flying colors and demand a spot. Guerin is big on such incentives so Heidt kicks the doors down I think there can be an NHL roster spot for him,

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Watched a few of his games. All of his production comes on odd man rushes and breakaways. It’s like back door goal after back door goal. Don’t really think his stats are as impressive as they look playing in the team he’s on.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Watched a few of his games. All of his production comes on odd man rushes and breakaways. It’s like back door goal after back door goal. Don’t really think his stats are as impressive as they look playing in the team he’s on.
Teach him to PK and he’ll be our Dewar replacement.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would think that the fear is that Heidt turns into another Spooner, the hope that he turns into another Suzuki. The scouts obviously saw something in him that they didn't like, but damned if i know what it was. He isn't tiny, is a good skater, plays in all situations, has excellent passing skills... yeah, he cheats for offense, but many, many highly drafted CHL players do.

If will be very surprised if he makes the NHL team next year over players like Ohgren, Bankier, Milne, Yurov(impress me, BG, and get him over here!), Marat.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe in the games you saw, but i saw a lot of points that came from O zone possessions, whether it be PP or ES. I think he has exceptional vision, and vg to excellent passing. His ability to quickly move the puck, often threading a needle through defenders, and delivering it right on the stick of teammates is unusually good.

You can argue that he is being propped up by his teammates, but i could turn it around and say that he has pumped up the goal scoring stats of guys like Funk and Parascak. His passing has set up guys again and again in prime scoring spots. He's almost like an old school offensive C, who's job it is to set up his wingers.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
heidt improved his stats from last year and thats really all we can ask. i wish he scored more goals however as 57 said maybe he feels its his job to set up his wingers which would indicate hes a team first kinda player. whats wrong with that?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I get what @DemidovSaveUs is saying. Heidt isn't the sort of talent that jumps out at you immediately, having a great tool like skating, shot, size, handles, etc.

Finishing 2nd in assists two years in a row in the WHL does indicate you are doing something right, however. I like the consistency. There is no doubt that he needs to continue to grow his game. He started off the year doing very well in FO's but has tailed off recently, so he is barely above 50%. That's got to improve. I would like to see him shoot more. Of course, getting stronger, bigger, and faster would really help, but you can say the same about just about all prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00