Prospect Info: Riley Heidt, C, 64th Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Someone told us to treat Heidt as the first rounder and Stramel as the second rounder, so now we have to hold Heidt to more strict scrutiny
It’s funny because they took it upon themselves to be a buzzkill by talking up Heidt in the Stramel thread. Isn’t it interesting what a little scrutiny can dig up.

Regardless, he shouldn’t play in the WHL next year. That’s the main point I’m trying to make. He’s clearly shown that league is too easy for him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s funny because they took it upon themselves to be a buzzkill by talking up Heidt in the Stramel thread. Isn’t it interesting what a little scrutiny can dig up.
I'm all for scrutinizing stuff, that's why we're here. I'm also pretty sure we had these same conversations when Beckman was leading that league in points. Reasons why it does/doesn't matter in the long run, all of it. Honestly there are a lot of similarities between the two.

Regardless, he shouldn’t play in the WHL next year. That’s the main point I’m trying to make. He’s clearly shown that league is too easy for him.
Yeah it's a stupid rule. I thought at one time NHL teams could apply for exceptions but maybe I'm just making that up.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Which is why I hate that CHL/NHL agreement. I understand why it's in place, but in specific circumstances (like this) it could possibly hurt the players development. He may or may not be ready to play in the AHL next season, but it sure would be nice to have that option if after camp the Wild think he's ready.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah it's a stupid rule. I thought at one time NHL teams could apply for exceptions but maybe I'm just making that up.

It has to be possible somehow, considering Wright received an exemption from the rule to play in AHL.

But maybe the rules are different for high draft picks, and admittedly Wright would likely have been able to play in AHL if not for COVID shutdowns.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It has to be possible somehow, considering Wright received an exemption from the rule to play in AHL.

But maybe the rules are different for high draft picks, and admittedly Wright would likely have been able to play in AHL if not for COVID shutdowns.

Wright is such a weird situation.

The way I understand the rules, a player has to either be 20 by the end of the calendar year, or they have to have played four seasons in the CHL.
1) The 2020-21 season that the OHL didn't play counts as a season played
2) A "season" actually only needs to be 25 games

Wright played 58 games in 2019-20, a credited full season in 2020-21 due to the covid lockout, and a full season in 2021-22.

Then in 2022-23 he "made the team" out of camp, but only played in 7 of the 18 games he was with the team, however, apparently being scratched for 5 straight games allowed Seattle to send him to the AHL, but only for two weeks. Then after WJC, he had to go back to Windsor because he wasn't 20 and hadn't played four seasons.

However, he only technically played 24 games last season (not the 25 needed), and he's still not 20, so by the letter of the law he should be back in Windsor, but he's not.

Now what makes this interesting for us is that this will technically be Heidt's third season in the WHL, however, he played 22 games in 2020-21. So if they make the exception for Wright at 24 games, why can't they make the exception for Heidt at 22 during the same covid lockout season that the OHL didn't even play (but got credit for in regards to the transfer agreement)?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
During Covid junior aged players were allowed to play in the AHL because some of the junior leagues were shut down. ROR played 33 games for Iowa, then went back to the OHL next season. That would normally never happen.

The whole point of the rule is to allow the CHL to thrive as a business. Not many fans would show up if they kept leaking their better players to the AHL. While that might help the AHL for a while, it would definitely hurt the business model of the CHL, many of whom are right on the edge in terms of profitablity. It would hurt the NHL if it's most important feeder league went bankrupt.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Wright is such a weird situation.

The way I understand the rules, a player has to either be 20 by the end of the calendar year, or they have to have played four seasons in the CHL.
1) The 2020-21 season that the OHL didn't play counts as a season played
2) A "season" actually only needs to be 25 games

Wright played 58 games in 2019-20, a credited full season in 2020-21 due to the covid lockout, and a full season in 2021-22.

Then in 2022-23 he "made the team" out of camp, but only played in 7 of the 18 games he was with the team, however, apparently being scratched for 5 straight games allowed Seattle to send him to the AHL, but only for two weeks. Then after WJC, he had to go back to Windsor because he wasn't 20 and hadn't played four seasons.

However, he only technically played 24 games last season (not the 25 needed), and he's still not 20, so by the letter of the law he should be back in Windsor, but he's not.

Now what makes this interesting for us is that this will technically be Heidt's third season in the WHL, however, he played 22 games in 2020-21. So if they make the exception for Wright at 24 games, why can't they make the exception for Heidt at 22 during the same covid lockout season that the OHL didn't even play (but got credit for in regards to the transfer agreement)?
I have to think the Wild would have a point in regards to Heidt being allowed to leave for the AHL in re: number of seasons played. I mean, he missed it by three games during a COVID season? Please… The most games played by a single player that year was 24. Heidt played all of the games he could for his team (22).

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have to think the Wild would have a point in regards to Heidt being allowed to leave for the AHL in re: number of seasons played. I mean, he missed it by three games during a COVID season? Please… The most games played by a single player that year was 24. Heidt played all of the games he could for his team (22).

I'm hoping we have someone in the organization who notices this. Should be a pretty open and shut case to allow Heidt to play in the AHL next season if so, based on precedent.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm hoping we have someone in the organization who notices this. Should be a pretty open and shut case to allow Heidt to play in the AHL next season if so, based on precedent.
I’m hoping this is the case. Would make watching Iowa much more tolerable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The AHL is a man's league. I don't know how strong, or mature Heidt is. Sometimes it's better to be patient, though i do wish there was another option like the NCAA available. With the rule changes in college sports regarding amateurism, i wonder how long it will be before someone from the CHL challenges the rules regarding them gaining entry into college?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I got in an argument with someone over this; his draft season (20-21) doesn't count toward his season because he didn't get an exceptional status. So, that wouldn't count. So technically he has three seasons.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I got in an argument with someone over this; his draft season (20-21) doesn't count toward his season because he didn't get an exceptional status. So, that wouldn't count. So technically he has three seasons.
I need you to elaborate more on this. What is exceptional status?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I might be misremembering but I thought when they granted Wright AHL eligibility they also mentioned that others might be looked at on a case by case basis and they may have even mentioned Heidt by name.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
let me clarify lets say 3 or 4 years from now kaprizov (if he stays) rossi yurov then 2nd line boldy heidt ohgren then 3rd khusnutdinov jee zuccy last 2 speedy guys like duhaime & dewar and a tuff guy whether its foligno or maroon or mystery dude. would that really be so bad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad