Right Defense ... a position of need

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
5.5 million awarded, Jets have 48 hours to accept, which they will of course. Good number for him, see if there is any bad blood...
Good deal for them this year, but they are pooched in FA next season with lots of big names already to sign. The one year deal finally has Jets fans coming to the realization that he doesn't want to be there.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Good deal for them this year, but they are pooched in FA next season with lots of big names already to sign. The one year deal finally has Jets fans coming to the realization that he doesn't want to be there.
Agree, don't think he's staying in Winnipeg long term. He's exactly what we could use.

Reactions: AppsSyl

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Agree, don't think he's staying in Winnipeg long term. He's exactly what we could use.
As mentioned by myself and some others in the past, a deal with Gardiner and Trouba as the basis with some adds would be the best scenario for us. We improve the RH side, slide Dermott in Gardiner's slot, bump Hainsey down, and don't lose Jake for nothing.
What the adds would be is difficult to figure out.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not sure we can make it work, lots of moving pieces for sure. I did feel like we missed a chance last time he was on the block, in the sense he really did become more of a sure thing top 4 D man since. I'd be on the phone for sure, whether doable that's another question.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
As mentioned by myself and some others in the past, a deal with Gardiner and Trouba as the basis with some adds would be the best scenario for us. We improve the RH side, slide Dermott in Gardiner's slot, bump Hainsey down, and don't lose Jake for nothing.
What the adds would be is difficult to figure out.
Yep, have to move Gardiner if you're bringing in that money. Lots to consider.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I still think Trouba has a lot more to give, and our team's environment and style of play would get the most out of him.
This could be the piece we seek, and with Liljegren on the way in the next season or two, our RH side would look pretty good.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I still think Trouba has a lot more to give, and our team's environment and style of play would get the most out of him.
This could be the piece we seek, and with Liljegren on the way in the next season or two, our RH side would look pretty good.
Plus, it's very rare a young top 4 right D becomes available.

I'm also of the belief that Zaitsev is a movable contract, particularly right now, because he did have an injury filled campaign, you can rationalize it was a blip, take a chance.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Plus, it's very rare a young top 4 right D becomes available.

I'm also of the belief that Zaitsev is a movable contract, particularly right now, because he did have an injury filled campaign, you can rationalize it was a blip, take a chance.
This is a very weird climate on the trade front right now, especially with RHD. You have Karlsson who is likely moved, Faulk who is going to be dealt and Trouba who is a player that has a good chance of moving. To me Trouba is the best fit, and with those other guys on the market, it likely waters down the suitors and offers for him, because of the availability of those others.

I think Dubas needs to seriously pursue this one.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
To me in a trade for Trouba the pieces off the table would be: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Dermott, Liljegren and Andersen. Everything else is fair game. Dermott and Liljgren are off, because I think they both have a reasonable shot to be as good or better than Trouba and we need good young D on ELCs with our upcoming cap.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I wonder if we should try to mold Rasmus Sandin into a RD. If we bring him to the Marlies next season we could play him on the right side. Does anyone know if he’s ever played RD?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Trouba has reasons not wanting to sign long term. Sure acquire him if want, but he is going to be a two year rental.
There are more left handed shooting players than right handed. To think a team can fine 3 competent RHD is always questionable .

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Wouldn't take Trouba for free. I'd rather just put Gardiner with Rielly for the year. Gardiner as a RHD > Trouba
Gardiner himself said he hates playing on the right side and was horrible there when played there.

Rielly right now is easily our best Right D man. He played there for his first 3 years. I feel that if we do not trade for a rhd then playing Rielly on the right side with Gardiner on the left would be our best top pair.

This would allow Haisney to play his strong side with Zeitsev on the second pair and be our Pk staring unit.

3rd pair is Dermott and ?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs have no "position of need" IMO. There are several options for each undetermined position: right side defense (and left side too), 4th line center, bottom 6 "checking/energy" winger(s), even backup goalie. No one is going to end up taking on a role they haven't trained to take over. Can the Leafs improve their options? Absolutely. But not at some crazy premium.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Right side defense: Zaitsev, Hainsey, Carrick then Ozhiganov, Holl, LoVerde, Liljegren, even Marincin (plays both sides) as options.
Left side defense: Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott then Borgman, Rosen, Marincin
4th line center: Lindholm, Ennis, Gauthier, Mueller, Jooris or Moore
Nylander, Marleau and Marner guaranteed top 6 minutes on the wing then
for the next 5 spots: Hyman, Brown, Leivo, Ennis, Kapanen, Johnsson (only one top 6 wing spot for these wingers to fight over) then Grundstrom, Marchment, Timashov, Cracknell plus several less experienced wingers

If anything, I'd like to see the Leafs add a left side defenseman with higher upside ready to slip into a permanent role in the fall of 2019 with Gardiner possibly leaving the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Leafs are all in Win Now.

You offer Trouba a spot if he wants. Knowing you have to trade a winger.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs right side defense is in fact indefensible as it sits today.

Jacob Trouba would look real nice there and check a lot of Leafs team needs in addition.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs are scary because they are tough to match up against up front. No need to change that like Edmonton tried to do by trading Hall and Eberle..they were no longer scary up front and failed to improve defensively when the dust settled.

Also, no team is trading a good RD unless it’s an overpayment.

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott _____*
Rosen
Borgman
Marincin

*Carrick (25 games)
Holl (15 games)
Ozhiganov (10 games)
Liljegren (10 games)

Why not see what we have? There are 60 games up until the trade deadline; make a decision/assessment without guessing of what these guys can do after game ~60.

Do people realize we did this with the LD last year and found out we have Dermott and Borgman who can play in our top 6 moving forward?

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Connor Murphy might be someone to think about for RHD. Wouldn't cost much, more of a third pairing guy, but strong defensively.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Play this team as is. No aquisitions unless it's too good be true involving someone like Brown and Zaitsev+1st for a clear upgrade at D.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Hard finding a trade for Trouba that makes sense for them. They're competing for the cup, and their window is now, as they have Wheeler and Byfuglien entering their mid-30's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad