Right Defense ... a position of need

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Hard finding a trade for Trouba that makes sense for them. They're competing for the cup, and their window is now, as they have Wheeler and Byfuglien entering their mid-30's.

Agreed.
My hope was Chiarelli was dumb enough to move Bouchard for immediate help.
Something like Gardiner+ for Sekera (Ew) and Bouchard.
Bouchard looks like he may be NHL ready for bottom pairing minutes.
We would be weaker this year but much better off in the long run.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Leafs are scary because they are tough to match up against up front. No need to change that like Edmonton tried to do by trading Hall and Eberle..they were no longer scary up front and failed to improve defensively when the dust settled.

Also, no team is trading a good RD unless it’s an overpayment.

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott _____*
Rosen
Borgman
Marincin

*Carrick (25 games)
Holl (15 games)
Ozhiganov (10 games)
Liljegren (10 games)

Why not see what we have? There are 60 games up until the trade deadline; make a decision/assessment without guessing of what these guys can do after game ~60.

Do people realize we did this with the LD last year and found out we have Dermott and Borgman who can play in our top 6 moving forward?

imo Tanev would be perfect for this because if he starts the season and can't finish it off due to injuries; Liljegren might be able to finish it off. I might be in the minority here; but I view this as a critically important season and I would be fine moving a 1st round pick right now for Tanev.

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Sandin-Liljegren

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Isn't there a window now that Trouba can't be traded? I thought that there was something in place restricting when a player can be traded following an arbitration.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
There's no denying Leafs would look better with the addition of a top 4 RHD, but I can't see how they manage that with the roster players they currently have. To me losing Gardner to get that top 4 RHD could make sense given their LHD depth and Dermott potentially moving into the top 4. That being said, even if they don't, I already think Leafs are going to be a very tough team to beat in a best of 7 series. Their defence is going to almost automatically improve as a result of the forward depth they now boast including increased roles for guys like Kappy and Johnson (better 2 way players then the Bozak/JVRs). The Leafs, in theory anyway, should possess the puck so often that their defence automatically will have to deal with less then they did this past year. This automatically makes the 'need' for a top 4 RHD a lot less important.

Reactions: IBeL34f

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
With Tanev you would have to send a Dman back. They value him quite highly in Vancouver. The price starts with Dermott, just so you know. Then being over valued it them goes to Dermott plus as Toronto often overpays. It is Trouba over Tanev due to Tanev's inability to play the whole season.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
There's no denying Leafs would look better with the addition of a top 4 RHD, but I can't see how they manage that with the roster players they currently have. To me losing Gardner to get that top 4 RHD could make sense given their LHD depth and Dermott potentially moving into the top 4. That being said, even if they don't, I already think Leafs are going to be a very tough team to beat in a best of 7 series. Their defence is going to almost automatically improve as a result of the forward depth they now boast including increased roles for guys like Kappy and Johnson (better 2 way players then the Bozak/JVRs). The Leafs, in theory anyway, should possess the puck so often that their defence automatically will have to deal with less then they did this past year. This automatically makes the 'need' for a top 4 RHD a lot less important.
I agree with all of this, and think that shifting Rielly over to his right side is more than sufficient as far as balancing out our talents on the blueline.

I would consider either of these to be strong lineups between our forward group and Andy:

Gardiner - Rielly
Hainsey/Dermott - Zaitsev
Dermott/Hainsey - Carrick

or

Dermott - Rielly
Gardiner - Carrick
Hainsey - Zaitsev

With further development from Rielly, Dermott, Zaitsev and Carrick to be expected, and guys like Liljegren, Sandin, Durzi, Rosen, Borgman, Rasanen, and Hollowell in the wings, I don't have a worry in the world as far as our defense is concerned, unless Gardiner wants more than $6M long-term.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Isn't there a window now that Trouba can't be traded? I thought that there was something in place restricting when a player can be traded following an arbitration.

There is no trade restrictions, only restrictions are he can’t be extended to a new deal officially until after Jan 1st 2019. Of unofficial discussions can be had about the desire to sign with a team and what that contract might look like. But he could be traded any time if desired by Chevy

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Open season on Trouba. Tell him we will gladly trade him(to a USA based team) after we win the first cup. His trade value as top 2, Stanley Cup dman will be sky high and Dermott, Liljegren may be well ready to take over.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Hurricanes

Brett Pesce
for
Kasperi Kapanen, Garett Sparks, 1st

- - -

MARLEAU - MATTHEWS - NYLANDER
HYMAN - - - - TAVARES - - - - MARNER
JOHNSSON - - - - KADRI - - - - BROWN
ENNIS - - LINDHOLM - LEIVO/JOORIS

RIELLY - - - - - PESCE
GARDINER - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY

BORGMAN - CARRICK

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With Tanev you would have to send a Dman back. They value him quite highly in Vancouver. The price starts with Dermott, just so you know. Then being over valued it them goes to Dermott plus as Toronto often overpays. It is Trouba over Tanev due to Tanev's inability to play the whole season.

I get the sense that Vancouver is holding out, for more than most are willing to pay. They can have Carrick/Durzi.. but they aren't getting Dermott. A first and second, or players/prospects of similar value is probably market... though, like I said, Vancouver is looking for a home run.

To date, Tanev is far superior defensively to Trouba. I'm not sure if Trouba can ever improve the defensive game to that degree... probably not. Tanev is a premier defensive guy, while Trouba is much more offensively minded. The price on Trouba will be much higher as well.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
We have a great underrated prospect in Bracco coming up. I think a lot of Leaf fans underrate him and don't know how good he is.
We also have Timashov, who is also underrated but not as good.

With that being said, Kapanen or Brown should NOT be traded yet even though we have so many great RWs. Why on earth would we trade Kapanen when his value is super-low right now? We know he's going to kill it next year if he plays in the top-9 + PP, so why not wait for that and THEN trade him?

Please don't make proposals with Kapanen yet.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We have a great underrated prospect in Bracco coming up. I think a lot of Leaf fans underrate him and don't know how good he is.
We also have Timashov, who is also underrated but not as good.

With that being said, Kapanen or Brown should NOT be traded yet even though we have so many great RWs. Why on earth would we trade Kapanen when his value is super-low right now? We know he's going to kill it next year if he plays in the top-9 + PP, so why not wait for that and THEN trade him?

Please don't make proposals with Kapanen yet.

Better yet.....why don't we let Liljgren develop into the RHD top 4 role maybe as early as this year with some luck......at worse the following year. Why waste assets, to your point, trading for a expensive RHD when the Leafs have a good RHD prospect close to being NHL ready?

Reactions: IBeL34f

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Open season on Trouba. Tell him we will gladly trade him(to a USA based team) after we win the first cup. His trade value as top 2, Stanley Cup dman will be sky high and Dermott, Liljegren may be well ready to take over.

there is not any player on the leafs I would trade 1 for 1 for trouba.

any of the ones that might be worth it, Matthews, marner, would just screw up our salary structure.

I would rather trade him to Ottawa for draft picks, with a gentleman's agreement that for the life of his 2 years rfa he could not be sent to the leafs.

not that I do not want to help the big smokes team or anything

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Better yet.....why don't we let Liljgren develop into the RHD top 4 role maybe as early as this year with some luck......at worse the following year. Why waste assets, to your point, trading for a expensive RHD when the Leafs have a good RHD prospect close to being NHL ready?

We're not wasting assets? We're trading an asset in a year, after Kappy has his break-out season, for a same-value asset except at RHD.

When I said let Kapanen break-out this season, I was implying that he will also be expensive to lock-up (I.e 4-5 mill long-term). I really, really doubt we lock up Kapanen to a big contract to play on the 3rd line when we have Bracco/Brown/Timashov/etc for much cheaper. It's not smart asset management. Trading Kapanen for similar value except at D is smart. Teams like Anaheim, Calgary, maybe Carolina need good RW players and have surplus RHD players and/or prospects but they don't want Kapanen right now because why would they trade for an unknown?

Another point is that it will take 2 years minimum to be a top-4D if we're realistic (I think he's going to be amazing right-off the bat in a year, but still). Then he'll take another year or two to be a great top-4D. Can we wait 2 years for the single top-4 RHD prospect to develop? We would be severely wasting Kadri's steal-of-a-deal, Tavares prime years, etc.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
there is not any player on the leafs I would trade 1 for 1 for trouba.

any of the ones that might be worth it, Matthews, marner, would just screw up our salary structure.

I would rather trade him to Ottawa for draft picks, with a gentleman's agreement that for the life of his 2 years rfa he could not be sent to the leafs.

not that I do not want to help the big smokes team or anything

Ok, thanks for the contribution. :laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One of Kapanen or Brown is definitely the best available asset to be lived for a RHD. Brown likely the better candidate due to his 20 goal rookie season, more proven than Kapanen.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
There is no trade restrictions, only restrictions are he can’t be extended to a new deal officially until after Jan 1st 2019. Of unofficial discussions can be had about the desire to sign with a team and what that contract might look like. But he could be traded any time if desired by Chevy
Thanks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why do you want Dubas fired?

Edit: Sorry did you mean Nylander OR a 1st?

I think that is what the Canes would ask for Pesce... they really don't have a reason to move him, so to get them interested, that is likely the offer needed. Both... Nylander AND a 1st. Having said, that, I'd never pay such a price. He's just not an available piece, unless you make an overpay offer.

Reactions: Marshy

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Future potential Twitter links in this thread....

"Leafs switch Rielly to the right side and pair him with Gardiner"

"Leafs stand pat on RHD, Holl makes the team paired with Dermott"

"Carrick finally gets respect, his position to lose"

"The Oz man cometh, Ozhiganov a preseason revelation, leafs have found their Polak replacement"

"Sad to say, Martin Marincin will be the Leafs top pairing RHD. Has outplayed all competition in camp"

Reactions: Critical91

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Future potential Twitter links in this thread....

"Leafs switch Rielly to the right side and pair him with Gardiner"

"Leafs stand pat on RHD, Holl makes the team paired with Dermott"

"Carrick finally gets respect, his position to lose"

"The Oz man cometh, Ozhiganov a preseason revelation, leafs have found their Polak replacement"

"Sad to say, Martin Marincin will be the Leafs top pairing RHD. Has outplayed all competition in camp"
Leafs put Rielly on the right side again is looking like a solution more and more.

Holl will likely be an AHL D man and a depth player as his skating is not up to snuff in my opinion.

Ozhiganov Is an unknown that is for sure but if he can play at the NHL level effectively it would make a trade moot.

Carrick I see in the same role as last year in the press box as insurance. Marincin like Carrick lost the confidence of the coach and seems like a depth D man.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad