Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

The call-ups:
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

The future additions:
Sandin Liljegren

The strategy should be to develop the right side and go shopping at the deadline after some prospects get to split the first 60 nhl games to develop this year.

If we can add a dman at the deadline without removing anything from our NHL team, why not do that? ie. Picks/prospects.

If one of the prospects step up, like Dermott last year, Leafs may not need to rush into a trade at all.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Better yet.....why don't we let Liljgren develop into the RHD top 4 role maybe as early as this year with some luck......at worse the following year. Why waste assets, to your point, trading for a expensive RHD when the Leafs have a good RHD prospect close to being NHL ready?

The Leafs have a window here this year with Marleau and Gardiner that they are legit contenders. The forwards are stacked, LD is very strong and G is solid. We are literally one or two players away from complete... this year.

Even if Lilj makes this team, he is at least 3 seasons away from being an impact in the playoffs.

I'm not saying that we should mortgage our entire future but we can spare parts of it to at least strengthen the right side.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
YUP, team is very good at every position except RHD. TIme to trade from an area of depth to shore up this lone black hole.RW, LD, goalie, draft pick package for a RHD. Dubas always has said he wants the best assets, he has a logjam and he needs to make a trade to make his roster correct.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
A potential playoff calibre defence:

Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

The call-ups:
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

The future additions:
Sandin Liljegren

The strategy should be to develop the right side and go shopping at the deadline after some prospects get to split the first 60 nhl games to develop this year.

If we can add a dman at the deadline without removing anything from our NHL team, why not do that? ie. Picks/prospects.

If one of the prospects step up, like Dermott last year, Leafs may not need to rush into a trade at all.

I agree with this. Stand pat; make a move for Tanev at the deadline when we know what we're dealing with.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Agreed.
My hope was Chiarelli was dumb enough to move Bouchard for immediate help.
Something like Gardiner+ for Sekera (Ew) and Bouchard.
Bouchard looks like he may be NHL ready for bottom pairing minutes.
We would be weaker this year but much better off in the long run.
Have you seen him play defense? He makes Gardiner look like Josh Manson.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
imo Tanev would be perfect for this because if he starts the season and can't finish it off due to injuries; Liljegren might be able to finish it off. I might be in the minority here; but I view this as a critically important season and I would be fine moving a 1st round pick right now for Tanev.

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Sandin-Liljegren
I don't understand the logic of trading for a player that will spend more time on your IR than your active lineup.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

The call-ups:
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

The future additions:
Sandin Liljegren

I'm actually really comfortable with Rielly as a top paring d-man, Gardiner as a #3, Zaitsev as a #4, Dermott #5, Hainsey #6. The evident problem is clearly when everyone has to play up a role. That top pairing RHD really does solve a lot.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm actually really comfortable with Rielly as a top paring d-man, Gardiner as a #3, Zaitsev as a #4, Dermott #5, Hainsey #6. The evident problem is clearly when everyone has to play up a role. That top pairing RHD really does solve a lot.
It would be the trickle down effect just like Tavares and our center position now. You put someone capable of handling #1 duties with Rielly and it affects all the other defenders.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Looking ahead 2 years , both Tyson Barrie and Jared Spurgeon are UFA's. If the Avs and a Wild are looking out of the playoff picture this season at the deadline, they may want to see what they can get for them while they still have a full season of contract for a bigger return.

The Wild will have to make a decision on Brodin the year after Spurgeon as well, so they might be looking to recoup something for either in advance of their expiring contract years. (2020 and 2021)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It solves a lot on D.... but there will be a cost, and that cost has the potential to be more than the benefit. At this point, it almost pays to see what we have in Ozhiganov and moreso Liljegren.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The main reason, that I am still a proponent of trading for Tanev, above all other D men, is that the cost to acquire should be lower, than other guys at his level of play, due to the injury history.

I appreciate that it's a gamble, but then, he's not likely to cost us any core pieces, or key prospects. So while there is a cost, it isn't going to create holes in other spots. If coming East, and a better travel schedule helps his durability, it has the possibility of being big win.

Reactions: meefer and ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
While I'd agree that RHD is a team weakness.... team D, is more than the D players alone. Tavares is a very good C, in the defensive zone, and massive upgrade over Bozak in such regards. JvR was also very weak in the Dzone. I'd suggest, team D has improved already.

I've read comments here and there that Tavares isn't strong defensively. I've never thought that was the case, are these comments just jealousy from other fan bases?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I've read comments here and there that Tavares isn't strong defensively. I've never thought that was the case, are these comments just jealousy from other fan bases?
It's probably a mix of both. Not elite in the defensive zone but is responsible enough to not be a liability?
He's a very hard worker so I can't see him being lazy in the defensive zone.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
His zone exits are basically elite, which is going to be a really nice boost for our defensemen - Should do wonders for avoiding getting hemmed into our own zone for extended periods of time.

Reactions: kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Downside, is that he's received a lot more starts in the Ozone.... probably because he's the best offensive option they've had for many years, though it does make you pause when someone is sheltered.

But, statistically, this is a guy in pretty elite company in a number of fancy stats.... Tableau Public Leafs didn't have a forward last year, who on this measurement, was better defensively.

He's received Selke votes, five of the last seven years. You don't regularly get Selke votes, being poor defensively. He's consistently been positive CF, Fenwick and relative, despite playing on poor teams.

John Tavares Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Liminality

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks guys, that's more or less what I thought. He's basically pencilled in for Team Canada every year which tells me something. I didn't know about the Selke votes though. :)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
YUP, team is very good at every position except RHD. TIme to trade from an area of depth to shore up this lone black hole.RW, LD, goalie, draft pick package for a RHD. Dubas always has said he wants the best assets, he has a logjam and he needs to make a trade to make his roster correct.

Other than a small move I think we're better off waiting until next off season. Positive steps forward from Kap/Brown/Oz/Carrick/Zaitsev would seriously boost their value from where it is today, significantly changing both what we need and what we can afford

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As we stand now:

Dermott Rielly (I have no idea if Dermott can handle first D duty, but Rielly adds solid support and puck transition should be solid)
Gardiner Carrick (Have played together in the past and done well, offers a 2nd D that can transition well)
Hainsey Zaitsev (Reduced minutes allow Hainsey to still PK and Zaitsev may find his game against less talented opposition)

Lots of options with support players to fill out as needed.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

The call-ups:
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

The future additions:
Sandin Liljegren

Like this guy! Toronto Maple Leafs: Justin Holl Could Make the Team

kb

Aug 28, 2009
His zone exits are basically elite, which is going to be a really nice boost for our defensemen - Should do wonders for avoiding getting hemmed into our own zone for extended periods of time.
Exactly. Which is why I said before UFA time that the best thing the Leafs could do to improve the D would be to sign Tavares.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Gardiner, Johnsson, 1st
For
Parayko

Then...

Rielly - Parayko
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Just roll with this until the deadline... and acquire the best rental available at the deadline (F or D). Both Hainsey and Zaitsev are too much of a liability to be playing on the top line. Just let Gardiner and Rielly eat up huge minutes. Also resign Gardiner for 6.5 mil long term. It's really hard to find a defenseman like him. No need to overthink this, and this D is good enough under this structure to beat Boston and win the cup with.

Gardiner Rielly
Hainsey Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Just roll with this until the deadline... and acquire the best rental available at the deadline (F or D). Both Hainsey and Zaitsev are too much of a liability to be playing on the top line. Just let Gardiner and Rielly eat up huge minutes. Also resign Gardiner for 6.5 mil long term. It's really hard to find a defenseman like him. No need to overthink this, and this D is good enough under this structure to beat Boston and win the cup with.

Gardiner Rielly
Hainsey Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick
Agreed.
If the prices drop of Faulk or Tanev, I'd add one of them and that will push everyone on the right side down, creating a balanced, dynamic defense core

Reactions: IBeL34f

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agreed.
If the prices drop of Faulk or Tanev, I'd add one of them and that will push everyone on the right side down, creating a balanced, dynamic defense core

Fallback plan could be to add a dman at the TDL but with the amount of free cap space we should aim higher. Upgrade the D now and at the TDL would be ideal. Look for a solid dman that costs cap space prior to the start of the season (if one exists).

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad