Right Defense ... a position of need

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hey it depends. If we get the big 3 all on good bargains and we can bring in Doughty with minimal damage to the cap structure, I'm all for it. This is very unlikely though.

We'll see if we can maintain depth needed to win a cup though - you can't count on unproven young players to fill in every position.

They wouldn't be unproven. Kapanen, Brown, Hyman, Johnsson are going to cost peanuts for the forseeable future. Those are NHLers. Then we have Grundstrom and Korshkov as well who could fill in when we have injuries.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Random question:

Are most NHL players lefties?

In other sports such as golf, football and soccer (feet obvs) most players are righties - but it seems NHL is different.
in hockey, players put their dominant hand on top of the stick to have more control. most people are right handed so they put their right hand higher on the stick than their left hand.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
A young-ish top-4 D doesn't have to be expensive. People bring up Jones and Larsson, but they're the outliers in terms of value. Leddy, Hamilton, Hamonic, Boychuk, Burns all got traded for packages around a mid 1st + smaller pieces.

Just have to be ready to pick one up once the opportunity arises, having a few spare 2nds on hand isn't a bad idea.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So does the power come from the left hand and the control come from the right?
The power comes from your whole body (hips, legs, wrist - it's all in the torque of your movement, and the snap of your wrist), and I would say that the control comes from both hands, with your non-dominant (lower) hand having more emphasis on your aim than your dominant hand, as it dictates your follow-through.

There are probably coaches on here who will explain it a bit better than this, though.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A young-ish top-4 D doesn't have to be expensive. People bring up Jones and Larsson, but they're the outliers in terms of value. Leddy, Hamilton, Hamonic, Boychuk, Burns all got traded for packages around a mid 1st + smaller pieces.

Just have to be ready to pick one up once the opportunity arises, having a few spare 2nds on hand isn't a bad idea.

Nick Leddy aside, all those D you listed came at a very steep price. Leddy IIRC was Pokka and spare parts?

Then:

Hamilton: 1st, 2nd, 2nd
Hamonic: 1st, 2nd
Johnny Boychuk: 2nd, 2nd
Burns: 1st, Charlie Coyle

Those aren't exactly cheap prices to pay. That's ultimately why I think the Leafs felt the need to take a risk on someone like Zaitsev on a longer term, cheaper AAV deal.

I still think Zaitsev has lots more to give, even if we don't necessarily see it this season. Top 4D are becoming harder and harder to find in this league, unless you draft and develop them yourselves.

Calgary gave up FIVE draft picks to acquire two Top 4 RHDs, and they still missed the playoffs, which is one of the biggest reasons why I think Treliving felt he had to fire Gulutzan.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nick Leddy aside, all those D you listed came at a very steep price. Leddy IIRC was Pokka and spare parts?

Then:

Hamilton: 1st, 2nd, 2nd
Hamonic: 1st, 2nd
Johnny Boychuk: 2nd, 2nd
Burns: 1st, Charlie Coyle

Those aren't exactly cheap prices to pay. That's ultimately why I think the Leafs felt the need to take a risk on someone like Zaitsev on a longer term, cheaper AAV deal.

I still think Zaitsev has lots more to give, even if we don't necessarily see it this season. Top 4D are becoming harder and harder to find in this league, unless you draft and develop them yourselves.

Calgary gave up FIVE draft picks to acquire two Top 4 RHDs, and they still missed the playoffs, which is one of the biggest reasons why I think Treliving felt he had to fire Gulutzan.

They're not cheap, but they're certainly not in Johansen/Hall territory either. If we had an unlucky season and decided to sell, we could have gotten that 1st+2nd+2nd just by trading JVR/Bozak at the deadline. Hell we could have gotten a Boychuk package together just by not renting Boyle and Plekanec.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Math says you likely won't get three quality right handed Dmen. Getting six quality Dmen is more important than handiness.
Leafs top two picks in 2017 were RHD, so there might be a balance...in four years.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Honestly I wouldn’t mind trying Rielly on the right side again. He looks comfortable playing there and that opens line possibilities such as:
Dermott-Rielly
Gards-Z/Hainsey
Borgman-Z/Hainsey.

Reactions: jsule028

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Next year is a development year for the Leafs RHD. There are no saviours on the UFA market.

1. Green and Carlson will be overpaid, Leafs can't handle overpaid. There is absolutely no one else who is a UFA that will improve the Leafs RD.
2. Any trade for a RD will be an over payment which will not happen as well.
3. Leafs have developed C, LW, RW, LD internally, and most likely the case with RD.

Rielly ______
Dermott Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Borgman Polak

Start giving these guys more minutes and deploy them as injury replacements:
Carrick
Liljegren
Holl
Ozhiganov

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think Ozhiganov will be a good NHL player immediately. Was touted by a few team, but has now been pushed down the depth chart in Russia due to word getting out that he is leaving.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Not neccessarily. My brother and cousins are right handed (writing hand) and shoot with a righty stick. I write with my right hand but use a left handed hockey stick.

Maybe I misunderstood your post!?!

Lots of exceptions.
I started golfing left because my dad had lefty clubs.

In hockey stickhandling and shooting, the top hand is what needs the most co-ordination. Usually best to put your most dextrous hand on top.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Lots of exceptions.

In hockey stickhandling and shooting, the top hand is what needs the most co-ordination. Usually best to put your most dextrous hand on top.
Ahhh... makes sense. So my bro should actually be using a lefty stick. He's been using a right for over 30 years lol too late now. He's perfected it. Cool tip

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Lots of exceptions.

Yep.

If you had to use one hand to poke check, or to reach out FAR to coral the puck... its usually the dominant hand naturally.

Aka... the hand you would wield a one handed sword with

Reactions: IBeL34f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yep.

If you had to use one hand to poke check, or to reach out FAR to coral the puck... its usually the dominant hand naturally.

Aka... the hand you would wield a one handed sword with
:laugh: You could have used any everyday item like a pencil or butter knife, and went with this - I love it.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I agree there is a log jam at LD, Goalie and Wing.

A need at RD and Center.

Plus, there is surplus Cap room this year perhaps to buy-out a bad contract on this year's books. Sounds like trade talk.

upload_2018-6-10_17-51-52.png

I like it.

Try to trade for a right hand D by taking on a bad contract.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
in hockey, players put their dominant hand on top of the stick to have more control. most people are right handed so they put their right hand higher on the stick than their left hand.
There are a few of us righties that shoot right. Big advantage when you want to punch someone in the head well while holding your stick

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad