Right Defense ... a position of need

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Toronto Maple Leafs: Timothy Liljegren is Not a Project

Lilly has improved by leaps and bounds this Marlies season. This article paints a great picture of adapting on the smaller ice surface for euros also.

Lilly is likely a player you build a defensive brand around in the future. He might surprise in september if he comes in to camp confident( which i think he will).

He is not far off playing for us!

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs: Timothy Liljegren is Not a Project

Lilly has improved by leaps and bounds this Marlies season. This article paints a great picture of adapting on the smaller ice surface for euros also.

Lilly is likely a player you build a defensive brand around in the future. He might surprise in september if he comes in to camp confident( which i think he will).

He is not far off playing for us!
Lily has made great strides as of late. His defensive game is getting a lot better and he tries to think team first and take minimal risks. The reality is he is still being sheltered on the marlies playoff run. Sheldon Keefe doesnt really trust him nearly as much as the Marincin-Holl and Rosen-Loverde pairs. He needs another full season with the marlies to start to dominate offensively and put up big numbers carrying the PP while logging larger amounts of minutes.

I think he will be a good top 4 puck moving D but he needs at least one more season in the AHL.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Probably the only RHD close is Holl and newly minted Igor Oz. We have 2 needs..center and RHD.

Tavares would be too nice...as much as I want to say he's coming here most of my gut feeling says Isles or Canadiens.

After that we have Miro that could make the jump but we are one injury away from hell on earth (if bozak walks). Remember this past ur Kadri and Matthew's were out for 3 or 4 games in a row and it was ugly down the middle.

So who do we go for outside #91? Thornton 2 bum knees but chemistry is undeniable with Marleau..but that wont matter if Joe cant stay healthy. Maybe ROR but that would require a huge trade.

Same on RHD. Outside the above mentioned there are 4 big names..Doughty, Oel, Karlsson, Hanifin. All of those would involve losing high picks a Johnsson or Kapenen and say Gardiner. May be even Willie.

So ya my mind is spinning in circles Dubas has a tough summer ahead.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
So ya my mind is spinning in circles Dubas has a tough summer ahead.
Which usually leads to nowhere.
What did we do last summer ?

I’ll move Willie for a great Right D. I think. I’d prefer to see if he can carry his own line as a Centre first but ... you can’t stand still in Hockey.

The Leafs have bargaining power over Gardiner. To me, he’s too unpredictable. Great skater but I’d need to sign him cheaper than he wants IMO.

Reactions: White Shadow

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Josh Leivo to Philly for Philippe Myers.

Naz Kadri and Jake Gardiner & 1st to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly and Rasmus Ristolainen. (Although Buffalo will want Nylander in the deal)

Kasperi Kapanen & Connor Carrick to Carolina for Justin Faulk

Morgan Reilly ------ Rasmus Ristolainen
Travis Dermott ----- Justin Faulk
Ron Hainsey -------- Nikita Zaitsev
Philippe Myers

With Matthews and O'Reilly as 1-2 at C and Justin Faulk on the PP.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Naz Kadri and Jake Gardiner & 1st to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly and Rasmus Ristolainen. (Although Buffalo will want Nylander in the deal)

Philippe Myers

all teams will decline those trades and rightfully so

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That is why you have to draft and develop your own as nobody wants to trade you without the price being prohibitive.
then don't propose trades that don't clearly overpay the other team of their player

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
then don't propose trades that don't clearly overpay the other team of their player

You never start high in trade proposals you work your way up. ;)

I offered Kadri, Gardiner and 1st for Ryan O'Reilly and Ristolainen and Buffalo will respond with replace Kadri with Nylander and now we're in the ballpark.

In order for Leafs to land a high-end RHD it will likely cost them Nylander or Marner.

Last edited:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Which usually leads to nowhere.
What did we do last summer ?

I’ll move Willie for a great Right D. I think. I’d prefer to see if he can carry his own line as a Centre first but ... you can’t stand still in Hockey.

The Leafs have bargaining power over Gardiner. To me, he’s too unpredictable. Great skater but I’d need to sign him cheaper than he wants IMO.

The Canadiens will tear down that's a guarantee. Therefore they'll have a ton of money free to throw at a guy like JT. Question is does he want to be part of a rebuild.

Last summer we didn't have to do much. Young team, finding out place. We have a better idea of where we stand now. Great goalie...our big 3 we knew already but what we didn't know is Marner plays better in the playoffs and is clutch..while willie vanished..Matthew's doesnt count for me he was injured. So of the 3 if we trade any its Nylander.

The big summer question..do we trade willie for Doughty, Karlsson, Barrie (if we trade Jake), Hanifin. Do we throw money at JT, Carlson? Who do we keep if any..jvr, bozak, Leo, plekanec,Moore, Polak?

Do we sign and trade jvr?

Who on the Marlies do we include in a big trade? Johnsson, Kapenen, Bracco, Engvall, Holl, Borg, Rosen, Sparks or Picks..speaking of which do we trade Curtis Mc?

In order to get (trade wise) you have to give up talent. We are easily the deepest wing team of any in the NHL and probably top 5 in goalie depth. Bottom 5 in RHD and center depth.

We cant fix it all at once...and must be careful on who we trade if Dubas makes a big splash.

Remember Babcock last yr said we cant have jvr bozak Leo and kadri umm ugh all back it doesnt work that way..interesting that he mentioned Kadri who still has term

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Philippe Myers

Putting risto in a top pairing role would get him to be exposed really badly.

He needs sheltered 2nd pairing usage to be any good. He’s a disaster in his own zone

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Fact is there are more left handing players than right handed. So there are more left handed centres and more left shooting right wingers than right shooting left wingers.
This obsession of Leafs fans trying to find three or four competent NHL RHDs may just not be practical, it isn't that practical for almost all of the other 30 NHL teams either.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
An addition like Trouba would be just an unreal offseason for the Leafs.

Not saying it will happen, but what an incredible thing if it does!

Reilly-Trouba? Yes please!!!

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Wouldn't take Trouba for free. I'd rather just put Gardiner with Rielly for the year. Gardiner as a RHD > Trouba

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
5.5 million awarded, Jets have 48 hours to accept, which they will of course. Good number for him from Jets perspective, let's see if there is any bad blood...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad