Rielly

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Reilly is really good on offence, but never passed my eye test for being great at shutdown, and has often made bonehead plays at key times. With the number of offence first players on the leafs eating up the cap as is, and using forwards to qb the powerplay anyway, I think he is a cap casualty.

It has been pointed out in the thread probably could have been traded for a great return a couple years ago, and if he had, I don't think the team would have suffered much in the standings even if the return was all futures, and obviously wouldn't have made a difference to the playoffs.

Unless they trade Marner to open up cap space, I think the way to go is to trade Reilly ASAP while can max the return, and bring in a D Corps that specializes in actual defence, and develop our own offence minded D internally.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I was really disappointed to hear Dubas say that he’s yet to talk to the Reilly camp about an extension, and will begin talks after free agency.

Reasons why this is really stupid:

1- what if Reilly wants way too much money? The time to move him would have been at the draft, when teams were paying insane prices for defensemen (see risto). After free agency, rosters will be relatively set and you won’t get as much back for Reilly. Also replacing Reilly becomes much more difficult after free agency.

If he wants too much money and we don’t move him, he’ll be part of a long list of talent we’ve bled without return from bozak, gardiner, jvr, Hyman, etc. With more foresight, this team could have moved those players for assets in order to maximize the prime of matthews with cheap, effective ELC’s.

2. The strategy of waiting has hurt the leafs so much. All of matthews, nylander, marner could have been signed to better contracts if the leafs had negotiated sooner. But they decided to wait which only drove up the price. Heck even Hyman could have been signed to 4x4 or even 3.5x6 if they tried signing him last summer. Waiting isn’t working, and the likelihood of more comparables will only drive up Reilly’s price. Really disappointed they haven’t learned from these past errors.
Dubas’ overly casual approach to talks with Reilly lead me to believe that he is not really keen on re-upping him. Just my hunch.

Reactions: Buds17

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If you could get 90% of what Jones went for, or at least the midpoint between what Ristolainen and Jones got, I think you would be a fool to turn it down.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Dubas’ overly casual approach to talks with Reilly lead me to believe that he is not really keen on re-upping him. Just my hunch.
Rielly is flashy offensively but he doesn’t fit the mold of the cerebral type player Kyle Dubas pursues. Rielly makes too many bone headed plays defensively and I think Dubas is either looking for a team friendly extension (6-6.5 AAV) or move on from the player this summer as opposed to risking losing him next summer in free agency. I have no issues going 8 years on Rielly as D don’t decline nearly as quickly as forwards. Interested to see how it plays out

Reactions: Go4soda

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ziggy brought up a good point this morning regarding 44. How do u think he felt watching Sandin take his spot on th PP to start the playoffs. If he feels insulted he's not giving any discounts, especially after the Jones deal

Dubas should be shopping him hard IMO.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands

I don’t think this team will be good enough to just go for it. I hope they don’t see Rielly as their own rental, because of the draft picks already traded away. To make a trade you will need assets…

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Rielly is flashy offensively but he doesn’t fit the mold of the cerebral type player Kyle Dubas pursues. Rielly makes too many bone headed plays defensively and I think Dubas is either looking for a team friendly extension (6-6.5 AAV) or move on from the player this summer as opposed to risking losing him next summer in free agency. I have no issues going 8 years on Rielly as D don’t decline nearly as quickly as forwards. Interested to see how it plays out
And replace him with who?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Sign Savard. Move Brodie to LD
Long term it’s Sandin’s spot anyhow
Brodie-Savard
Muzzin-Holl (shutdown pair)
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin-Dermott
I think people are going to be very disappointed in Sandin when he never becomes that 1D superstar.

He'll just become the next guy who needs to be traded when he wants market value and makes too many boneheaded plays.

As for Savard, are you referring to David? 6 pts, -2million for the Lightning David? 30 year old David? And pair him with Brodie?
Is the goal to tank next year?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
I think people are going to be very disappointed in Sandin when he never becomes that 1D superstar.

He'll just become the next guy who needs to be traded when he wants market value and makes too many boneheaded plays.

As for Savard, are you referring to David? 6 pts, -2million for the Lightning David? 30 year old David? And pair him with Brodie?
Interesting metric to evaluate D. I’ve never cared much for points from the backend. Rather a guy who can break up the cycle and clear the front of the net but I guess we just approach the game differently

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Interesting metric to evaluate D. I’ve never cared much for points from the backend. Rather a guy who can break up the cycle and clear the front of the net but I guess we just approach the game differently
That's fine if you don't value points from the back end but you still need something. You don't replace a Rielly with a Savard. Putting two shut down d on your top pair makes very little sense especially when you have the likes of AM, JT, WN and JT up front. Who's gonna get em the puck?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Sandin doesn't have the skating to be a 1D superstar...he ain't going to be Erik Karlsson.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That’s up to the GM to figure out and work a deal for…….that’s kind of what GM’s do. At least good ones that is
So those on here suggesting we deal him don't think or worry about how to fill his minutes? Are we not airchair GMing here? If not, what's the point of the discussion?

I have to say I still don't understand why so many are so gung ho to trade the one guy who seems to show up every playoff series when the biggest issue with this team is a lack of guys who don't seem to show up.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Ziggy brought up a good point this morning regarding 44. How do u think he felt watching Sandin take his spot on th PP to start the playoffs. If he feels insulted he's not giving any discounts, especially after the Jones deal

Tbf maybe he should worry about improving his muffin shot instead of feeling insulted. Or look in the mirror and wonder how it got tot his point where he couldn't adequately QB a PP that has some of the premier offensive weapons. I know mitch is a huge problem on the pp but Mo has been brutal in his own right.

And imo, if there is any player who has a shred of accountability on the leafs, its mo and JT.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Tbf maybe he should worry about improving his muffin shot instead of feeling insulted. Or look in the mirror and wonder how it got tot his point where he couldn't adequately QB a PP that has some of the premier offensive weapons. I know mitch is a huge problem on the pp but Mo has been brutal in his own right.

And imo, if there is any player who has a shred of accountability on the leafs, its mo and JT.
Well considering none of those forwards or other D could do so either in sure there's plenty of accountability to be shared.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Probably felt like the PP wasn't doing well and was fine with a change.
Didn't he suggest Barrie take his spot on the PP so he could get going?
Rielly and Tavares seem most willing to sacrifice for the team, so I am sure he was not too worried about that.

I will give it to you, you write some good fan fiction in most of your posts.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I’m of the opinion the right now, Reilly doesn’t hurt us. But if he doesn’t get dealt, and dubas ends up signing him, I guarantee nobody will like the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad