Rielly

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Interesting metric to evaluate D. I’ve never cared much for points from the backend. Rather a guy who can break up the cycle and clear the front of the net but I guess we just approach the game differently

I would prefer a whole back end of Muzzin's over Reilly's. Break the cycle...stop the zone entries and make a quick first pass to get it out of the zone. That's what is effective and clean and fairly cheap compared to the "Puck moving" D-men out there like Jones etc...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting metric to evaluate D. I’ve never cared much for points from the backend. Rather a guy who can break up the cycle and clear the front of the net but I guess we just approach the game differently
Offense from the D is very valuable but not at the cost of having a putz like Barrie on the backend.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Kerfoot + Dermott for Kempe

Rielly + Liljegren for Stanley + Pionk

Stanley - Pionk
Sandin - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would prefer a whole back end of Muzzin's over Reilly's. Break the cycle...stop the zone entries and make a quick first pass to get it out of the zone. That's what is effective and clean and fairly cheap compared to the "Puck moving" D-men out there like Jones etc...
Oleksiak and Appleton for Rielly :)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Teams that need him or a similar player

1.) Boston
2.) Montreal
3.) Calgary
4.) la
5.) anaheim.
6.) Pitt
Obviously top 2 are no go

I think dubas will want a cash controlled d of lesser value/lesser contract.

Calgary and pitt can give that.

LA could provide more prospects.
Anaheim or even NYI could provide a change of scenery

If lindholm or Pelech won’t sign. Could do a switch

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Teams that need him or a similar player

1.) Boston
2.) Montreal
3.) Calgary
4.) la
5.) anaheim.
6.) Pitt
Obviously top 2 are no go

I think dubas will want a cash controlled d of lesser value/lesser contract.

Calgary and pitt can give that.

LA could provide more prospects.
Anaheim or even NYI could provide a change of scenery

If lindholm or Pelech won’t sign. Could do a switch
Winnipeg is another team. I’d love to get Logan Stanley.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Highest I'd go is 7 x 8 years.

But I can already see what's going to happen now. Rielly's going to play out the rest of his contract then leave for a big payday and management is going to preach a "defence by committee" approach

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Rielly is flashy offensively but he doesn’t fit the mold of the cerebral type player Kyle Dubas pursues. Rielly makes too many bone headed plays defensively and I think Dubas is either looking for a team friendly extension (6-6.5 AAV) or move on from the player this summer as opposed to risking losing him next summer in free agency. I have no issues going 8 years on Rielly as D don’t decline nearly as quickly as forwards. Interested to see how it plays out

Really? I sure hope you're right but I have this sickening feeling that we'll keep him as an "own rental" and then he'll be yet another asset that walks out the door with us getting nothing in return. It's not hard to picture a scenario where Dubas trades even more futures at the TDL, we go out in the first round again and then we'll be a franchise with enormous unfulfilled potential that's simply going down the drain.

I don’t think this team will be good enough to just go for it. I hope they don’t see Rielly as their own rental, because of the draft picks already traded away. To make a trade you will need assets…

100% agreed. Winning the cup this season when we haven't even won one round in eons is a pipe dream.

Highest I'd go is 7 x 8 years.

But I can already see what's going to happen now. Rielly's going to play out the rest of his contract then leave for a big payday and management is going to preach a "defence by committee" approach

I love Rielly, I really do and I could live with that deal. Even that will be hard to do with the flat cap though so I think him leaving is the more likely scenario. If that's what happens then I do believe I will be fed up with Dubas beyond the point of no return.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Really? I sure hope you're right but I have this sickening feeling that we'll keep him as an "own rental" and then he'll be yet another asset that walks out the door with us getting nothing in return. It's not hard to picture a scenario where Dubas trades even more futures at the TDL, we go out in the first round again and then we'll be a franchise with enormous unfulfilled potential that's simply going down the drain.

100% agreed. Winning the cup this season when we haven't even won one round in eons is a pipe dream.

I love Rielly, I really do and I could live with that deal. Even that will be hard to do with the flat cap though so I think him leaving is the more likely scenario. If that's what happens then I do believe I will be fed up with Dubas beyond the point of no return.
It was reported at the beginning of the off season. (I think Servalli or Lebrun?) that this was the case

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Apparently the word is Rielly wants to stay a Leaf his entire career and is willing to take a discount to do it. He will get 8 years. So it won’t be the crazy money Hamilton and Jones just got. $7,500,000 x 8 would be a good deal both ways. Then you keep him. That’s the Max affordable. Front load the contract and it really isn’t a loss

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Apparently the word is Rielly wants to stay a Leaf his entire career and is willing to take a discount to do it. He will get 8 years. So it won’t be the crazy money Hamilton and Jones just got. $7,500,000 x 8 would be a good deal both ways. Then you keep him. That’s the Max affordable. Front load the contract and it really isn’t a loss
Given how bad they have messed up the cap situation that is a stretch. As of today there is 13.8M of cap space for next year for 9F and 4D and 1 G. give Rielly 7.5 of that and you have 6.3M left.

Need to resign Campbell, assume he plays as good as last year or as good as Mrazek that will cost you 3.8M minimum, now there is 2.5M left bridge Sandin and 3 league min forwards just to get to a 20 man roster. Not enough $$ to do it

If you resign Rielly for 7.5M you are either not resigning campbell or hoping he plays like crap this year to get him cheap. There is not much left that can be freed up by trading away F making more than minimum Kerfoot 3.5/ Ritchie2.5.

Until the cap increases significantly or he admits the big 4 can't work and moves one of them this team is in trouble. Even if you trade Rielly or let him walk you are in trouble. Look what lesser UFA d-men signed for Ceci got 3.25M Mike reilly got 3M. You won't find a replacement nearly as good cheaper in free agency. Trade him for a similar but under contract D? no one will trade you a similar D who is cost contained for an expiring contract unless you make one hell of a add. Teams looking to add him will be contenders, they want to trade futures not current roster players.

If you can get him under contract for 7.5M you do it but then you explore trading one of the big 4- only way to fix this team.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006

jeeez if he signed for 7.5 there will be a riot on theses boards. .. especially if you are buying his 34 to 36 year old contract years .

i dont think he should get more than muzzin. front load the crap out of that contract and sign him for 5.5 x 8 ... he will sign something with a 15+mil signing bonus guaranteed

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Kessels buyout coming off the books and swapping Engvall for a league minimum almost gets you to 7 to give Rielly. Leaves you with about the same flexibility you have now.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Kessel’s 1.2 retention is finally coming off the books after this up-coming season… It sounds too good to be true considering it feels like it’s been at least 10 years since he’s been traded.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
7.5 is pricey for Rielly. I mean, it's not 9+, but it's enough of a raise to cost us some depth. I guess Kessel retention + swapping Holl for Liljegren could make up most of it, but it would still involve some finagling.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
7.5 is pricey for Rielly. I mean, it's not 9+, but it's enough of a raise to cost us some depth. I guess Kessel retention + swapping Holl for Liljegren could make up most of it, but it would still involve some finagling.

7.5 is 85% of Hamilton's $9m. If Rielly gets to UFA, he is gone because there will be more that one team willing to give him $8+m IMO.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would not pay Reilly anything above 6 million annually. Sorry he isnt worth it. I honestly do not believe what Hamilton and Jones just signed for. It's ludicrous to think that any dman not named Hedman is worth the money they are getting paid. Hedman should be the highest paid dman in the league and it should go lower from there.

I would trade Reilly immediately if it means anything close to the return that Columbus got for Jones. Its a no brainer. The Leafs can do much better with the 5 million in cap space and added draft/prospect capital it acquires.

Imagine not having Reilly on books prior to FA how we could have improved our team. We could have signed Savard for 3.5 million plus bring back Foligno instead of signing Gabriel, Kampf and Kase.

Bunting-Matthews-Nylander
Foligno-Tavares-Marner
Ritchie-Kerfoot-Micheyev
Simmonds-Engvall-Spezza
Brooks

Brodie-Savard
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Menell

Campbell
Mrzak

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would not pay Reilly anything above 6 million annually. Sorry he isnt worth it. I honestly do not believe what Hamilton and Jones just signed for. It's ludicrous to think that any dman not named Hedman is worth the money they are getting paid. Hedman should be the highest paid dman in the league and it should go lower from there.

I would trade Reilly immediately if it means anything close to the return that Columbus got for Jones. Its a no brainer. The Leafs can do much better with the 5 million in cap space and added draft/prospect capital it acquires.

Imagine not having Reilly on books prior to FA how we could have improved our team. We could have signed Savard for 3.5 million plus bring back Foligno instead of signing Gabriel, Kampf and Kase.

Bunting-Matthews-Nylander
Foligno-Tavares-Marner
Ritchie-Kerfoot-Micheyev
Simmonds-Engvall-Spezza
Brooks

Brodie-Savard
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Menell

Campbell
Mrzak

You make a ton of sense except thinking Rielly is not worth more than $6m. Given what Jones, Werenski, Hamilton and other dmen have been signing for, it would be an insult to offer Rielly $6m. I just hope Rielly is not already pissed off at being replaced by Sandin on the PP for the playoffs.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You make a ton of sense except thinking Rielly is not worth more than $6m. Given what Jones, Werenski, Hamilton and other dmen have been signing for, it would be an insult to offer Rielly $6m. I just hope Rielly is not already pissed off at being replaced by Sandin on the PP for the playoffs.

To me the cream of the crop in dmen is Hedman. He makes 7.875 million per season. Regardless of the tax situation and so forth, teams should be basing their contracts to their dmen and perspective free agents based on that number. But to me Jones, Werenski, Hamilton etc... are not in the same league as Hedman. So why should they be paid more? This is where teams and ownerships make things get out of hand. There are only so many Florida and Dallas teams available where taxes come into play in these star salaries. So if teams hold firm salaries remain controlled.

Why is Draisaitl, Mckinnon, Landeskog and other star players getting paid less than Mitchell Marner? Do they all not provide at the same level or better than Marner? Im not saying that Marner is a garbage player. But there needs to be some calm put to all this spending.

The Leafs are the biggest culprit in all of this madness. But in the end if Reilly wants more than 6-6.5 million per season, you let him walk. Sorry he isnt worth it. I would have rather signed Pietrangelo (home town kid) who is a better all round dman for 7 million a season.

Trade his ass off and collect assets for a diminishing one that will walk in the off season.

Thats my take.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
To me the cream of the crop in dmen is Hedman. He makes 7.875 million per season. Regardless of the tax situation and so forth, teams should be basing their contracts to their dmen and perspective free agents based on that number. But to me Jones, Werenski, Hamilton etc... are not in the same league as Hedman. So why should they be paid more? This is where teams and ownerships make things get out of hand. There are only so many Florida and Dallas teams available where taxes come into play in these star salaries. So if teams hold firm salaries remain controlled.

Why is Draisaitl, Mckinnon, Landeskog and other star players getting paid less than Mitchell Marner? Do they all not provide at the same level or better than Marner? Im not saying that Marner is a garbage player. But there needs to be some calm put to all this spending.

The Leafs are the biggest culprit in all of this madness. But in the end if Reilly wants more than 6-6.5 million per season, you let him walk. Sorry he isnt worth it. I would have rather signed Pietrangelo (home town kid) who is a better all round dman for 7 million a season.

Trade his ass off and collect assets for a diminishing one that will walk in the off season.

Thats my take.

You are 100% right regarding Hedman but he signed years ago. When it is his turn he will get his. As for Rielly, if you think he is not worth more than $7m, you should have moved him after you saw the return on Jones and what Jones signed for. The Hamilton, Werenksi, Makar, and Hieskenen deals were further proof. Seems Dubas and Shanny might be asleep at the wheel again or focusing on what to get Mitch for his wedding.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Given how bad they have messed up the cap situation that is a stretch. As of today there is 13.8M of cap space for next year for 9F and 4D and 1 G. give Rielly 7.5 of that and you have 6.3M left.

Need to resign Campbell, assume he plays as good as last year or as good as Mrazek that will cost you 3.8M minimum, now there is 2.5M left bridge Sandin and 3 league min forwards just to get to a 20 man roster. Not enough $$ to do it

If you resign Rielly for 7.5M you are either not resigning campbell or hoping he plays like crap this year to get him cheap. There is not much left that can be freed up by trading away F making more than minimum Kerfoot 3.5/ Ritchie2.5.

Until the cap increases significantly or he admits the big 4 can't work and moves one of them this team is in trouble. Even if you trade Rielly or let him walk you are in trouble. Look what lesser UFA d-men signed for Ceci got 3.25M Mike reilly got 3M. You won't find a replacement nearly as good cheaper in free agency. Trade him for a similar but under contract D? no one will trade you a similar D who is cost contained for an expiring contract unless you make one hell of a add. Teams looking to add him will be contenders, they want to trade futures not current roster players.

If you can get him under contract for 7.5M you do it but then you explore trading one of the big 4- only way to fix this team.

Saying admit the big 4 can't work implies that line of thinking is fact. It's not. It hasn't worked, and it's definitely challenging, but hasn't yet doesn't equal can't.

Maybe hold your horses and just see what he actually does in a year. People have said for like 2 years running that he wouldn't be able to make the cap work and he has.

Seems to me your view is perhaps to rigid. There are lots of ways to make things work beyond the one or two outcomes you see

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You are 100% right regarding Hedman but he signed years ago. When it is his turn he will get his. As for Rielly, if you think he is not worth more than $7m, you should have moved him after you saw the return on Jones and what Jones signed for. The Hamilton, Werenksi, Makar, and Hieskenen deals were further proof. Seems Dubas and Shanny might be asleep at the wheel again or focusing on what to get Mitch for his wedding.

All I am saying is that maybe a Reilly deal is in the cards after seeing what Jones returned. There isnt a reason to give Reilly more than 7 million a season. He just isnt worth that type of money. He provides solid offensive numbers dont get me wrong. But he isnt a true number one which plays effectively in all situations.

Last minute with a 1 goal lead who do Leaf coaches put on the ice? If we go based on last season, its Muzzin, Brodie and Bogo. Shit even Dermott and Holl would be in there before Reilly!!! Who was taken off the PP1? Reilly!!! Who doesnt play PK time? Reilly!

So how is a player paid as the teams best dman when he doesnt play in key situations? Pietro, Hedman, Werenski, Makar, Hamilton, Carlsson, Burns, etc... all play in those situations. Reilly is no more than a Brodie type caliber dman. Solid top pairing D but not a true number 1. Simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad