Rielly

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think the prospect of "own rental" is just something that is a sore spot for some because of all that we've willingly let walk in the past. But the truth is, if we have players developing to fill those voids, or fill those voids in UFA then the cost of the own rental is effectively mitigated.

Got to play prospects to develop them.

We’ll see what they do with Liljegren.

Reactions: geo25

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
that is before the season started. full season with fans, plus Kraken revenue should give it a nice b

I don’t believe it will matter. I’m pretty sure it’s already been agreed between the league and the pa that the cap will remain relatively flat for like 3 more seasons including this one due to the huge amount of money the players owe the league. I think it’s like a billion dollars.

everyone around hockey is talking like 1 mil each year, but I think the cap could make a sizeable jump right after that

Reactions: Ciao

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
I don’t believe it will matter. I’m pretty sure it’s already been agreed between the league and the pa that the cap will remain relatively flat for like 3 more seasons including this one due to the huge amount of money the players owe the league. I think it’s like a billion dollars.

everyone around hockey is talking like 1 mil each year, but I think the cap could make a sizeable jump right after that

Yup -

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/daly-nhl-expects-salary-cap-increase-1m-2022-23/

"As part of that, the salary cap is basically going to be flat until we recover the overpayments through the escrow that we've built up both in the return to play from last season, which obviously had to be concluded under different circumstances, and this season we're obviously... there's a major escrow building up because of the fact that there's no attendance," Bettman said in March.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There is also a good chance the cap goes up 2-3 mil

Not a good one because NHL has already gone on record recently stating .....

Daly: NHL expects salary cap to increase by $1M in 2022-23

The NHL's financial bounceback from the pandemic could be on a faster track than originally expected.

According to deputy commissioner Bill Daly, during an interview for an upcoming episode of 31 Thoughts: The Podcast with Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek, the league expects the salary cap to increase by $1 million for the 2022-23 season.

"I think we move, at least our current projections on revenue, move us into a million dollar raise a year starting next year,"Bill Daly told Friedman and Marek. "So I do expect that will kick in. We do have flexibility under our formula -- under our agreement with the players' association -- to revisit that to the extent there's a need to revisit that and perhaps make the increase greater. But certainly in the short-term we've been telling our clubs to kind of plan on $1 million increases in the cap."

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There is also a good chance the cap goes up 2-3 mil
Limited to 1 million increases, according to new CBA, until money paid back.
See new agreement in summer for explanation on increases, escrow and revenues required for an increase.

MS13

Oct 26, 2013
Hamilton
After what's gone on this past summer with defenseman, Reilly will request 7 mill+. I can't see us resigning him. We won't have enough cap space... unless dubas can maneuver something.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
After what's gone on this past summer with defenseman, Reilly will request 7 mill+. I can't see us resigning him. We won't have enough cap space... unless dubas can maneuver something.
We could sign the rest of the U of T team to replace the 6 guys we have to lose to pay him 7+ , just a thought , Whats the CBA say about playing Minor Midget players ? We could probably afford a couple of them if they were from outside the GTA .

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Ideally we’ll have either Robertson or Amirov to replace Kerfoot on the left side. That’s over 2.5 million savings either way. Add that onto Kessels salary retention of 1.2 coming off the books, there’s your Rielly money. There’s options when it comes to resigning Rielly if we really want to.

Reactions: Notsince67

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ideally we’ll have either Robertson or Amirov to replace Kerfoot on the left side. That’s over 2.5 million savings either way. Add that onto Kessels salary retention of 1.2 coming off the books, there’s your Rielly money. There’s options when it comes to resigning Rielly if we really want to.

No doubt they can find room to sign Rielly but the longer they wait the price goes up for him and Soupy, who probably commands Mrazek money at a minimum. We will also get additional cap relief once Mikheyev walks. I can't see him signing anywhere for more than he is making now.

I figure they'll need to find a minimum of $5m to sign Rielly and Soupy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad