Rielly vs Ranger (Who should be scratched)?

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Mainly cause hes the only stay at home D we have, AHL goon or not.

They are all stay-at-home defenseman right now. RC has them on a short leash. Leafs D only has three goals least in the league.

Every single leafs defensemen that is currently pretending to be a stay-at-home defenseman is better than Fraser.

LH defence on the Marlies Brennen and Percy are also better than Fraser.

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe
who would those be?

Let me guess, you added the word "talent" as your safety net in this post?

I was gonna respond how Ranger is not even close to being a top 4 Dman at present time, but then I noticed the word 'talent'. Zeke is clever with his wording. :D

I hope Ranger will play his way into our Top 4 with stellar performances because God knows we are desperate for that kind of a miracle, but oh man has he been underwhelming.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I was gonna respond how Ranger is not even close to being a top 4 Dman at present time, but then I noticed the word 'talent'. Zeke is clever with his wording. :D

I hope Ranger will play his way into our Top 4 with stellar performances because God knows we are desperate for that kind of a miracle, but oh man has he been underwhelming.

I don't think he's been that bad TBH.

I think the problem is people look at him like he's supposed to be a top4 dman right now and that's just too much to expect presently.

It's funny. I was at the game in calgary and got to sit lower bowl in the leafs defensive zone. I noticed Ranger more than any other dman not named Dion. The thing I noticed the most was him always looking around and assesing the situation; something many of our dmen lack. I think he's still got the hockey IQ but will naturally need time to apply it more and more.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He is 100% correct in the sense that Rielly was the one scratched simply due to human factors.

Scratching Rielly still serves as a learning experience for the kid; it won't negatively affect him as he's got lots to learn in all areas of the game. Sitting in the pressbox still results in him growing as a player.

Ranger needs to play to get his game back. He's been playing alright and seems to get better each game. I'm glad RC is handling Ranger the way he is. He's likely got fragile confidence and it's pretty easy to imagine getting scratched every-other game would just about ruin any shot we have at him becoming a servicable NHL dman.

I was commenting on what I bolded Friedmeister not the entire post

apparently deleting or contracting a post is a sanctioned offense against the lord high executioners of the mod squad, took 5 demerit points once for doing that and will not do so again for fear of incurring the well meaning wrath of one of those fine people

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Ranger had a stint of games where he was exposed on some wing plays and that's largely due to his not having played at the NHL level in a long time.

Positionally he is rock solid, and he has the pedigree to be a top 4 d-man.

Since those games, he's bounced back and is now one of the more reliable, safe-yet-still-offensively capable dmen, yet people refuse to let up.

In some posters' minds he's already worse than Lebda. This will be a long season of Ranger hate despite continued solid play because people don't like use their brains...

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Fraser should sit.

You cannot sit Rielly at all because there'd be no point keeping him up if he wasn't capable and you have to forgive mistakes from the rookies because there's a learning curve.

Fraser isn't remarkable in any way. He's a stable dman on the backend but doesn't offer anything offensively. Sure, Carlyle probably would want a safe guy over someone like Gardiner, but Carlyle respects the fact that Gardiner brings more to the table than Fraser, even if he has to stomach some added risk now and then.

Carlyle is likely very happy with Ranger and due to his NMC and NTC Ranger isn't going anywhere, not even back to the Marlies. So Fraser likely moves to the 7th dman.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
not playing in boston is ok with me for rielly, worst thing he could do is get hit hard by a Bruin or lose his confidence in a game like that. Rielly will be a star, carlyle knows what hes doing

mikebel111*

not playing in boston is ok with me for rielly, worst thing he could do is get hit hard by a Bruin or lose his confidence in a game like that. Rielly will be a star, carlyle knows what hes doing

exactly, he is good at protecting young players. Plus he might play today as it seems he could be going with 7 D tonight.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

D P.Ranger (29): 17gms, 1gls, 5pts, +5, 45ht, 21bk, +8.9correl, -1.4crqoc, 19:12 (82gms, 5gls, 24pts, +24, 217ht, 101bk)

pretty close.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
D P.Ranger (29): 17gms, 1gls, 5pts, +5, 45ht, 21bk, +8.9correl, -1.4crqoc, 19:12 (82gms, 5gls, 24pts, +24, 217ht, 101bk)

pretty close.

Well for once I'm in agreement with zeke over something.

Ranger has been good for us. RC's patience and keeping him in the lineup is the only way we'll be able to get him back to form.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I hate to be "that guy" (Actually at this point I am LOVING it.) But Fraser is the one who may be sitting shortly. For now I will chalk it up to him not being up to speed but quite frankly after these next two games if he has not improved then yeah sit him and bring in Morgan Rielly or even JML.

Also I want to know where all those people who were itching to get Fraser back? Did he improve our D like you hoped? ;)

As I've said previously, Ranger is a great player, a legit top 4D, except for when he makes the mistakes he's so prone to making.

This is a great article: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...to-beat-a-3-man-forecheck-paul-ranger-edition

I suggest everyone read it.

And for the record, as I stated earlier in this thread, I really hope Fraser sits. He's garbage.

That article is something everyone should most likely read. Really shows the good side of Ranger.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
As I've said previously, Ranger is a great player, a legit top 4D, except for when he makes the mistakes he's so prone to making.

This is a great article: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...to-beat-a-3-man-forecheck-paul-ranger-edition

And for the record, as I stated earlier in this thread, I really hope Fraser sits. He's garbage.

The article illustrates what I've meant when I say Ranger is a mixed bag, a lot of strong plays together with some awkward mistakes. In the Boston-situation there no mention of his play on TV, and only one guy said anything about it in the GDT. It's too bad, because when you notice all the things he does well it's so much easier to enjoy it AND understand why Carlyle relies on him like that.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I hate to be "that guy" (Actually at this point I am LOVING it.) But Fraser is the one who may be sitting shortly. For now I will chalk it up to him not being up to speed but quite frankly after these next two games if he has not improved then yeah sit him and bring in Morgan Rielly or even JML.

Also I want to know where all those people who were itching to get Fraser back? Did he improve our D like you hoped? ;)

That article is something everyone should most likely read. Really shows the good side of Ranger.

Wasn't itching to get Fraser back, but since he's been back the team hasn't had an even strength goal scored against them. (empty netter aside)

Not attributing it all to Fraser but our D has improved since his return. So....yeah.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON

This was a good read. What if they did one for his mistakes? It'd be at least 10 pages long. People are trying desperately to keep him on the team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This was a good read. What if they did one for his mistakes? It'd be at least 10 pages long. People are trying desperately to keep him on the team.

Go for it.

The article analyzed 3 ES goals that Ranger contributed to, so maybe you can analyze some (I think at least 3 would be fair) ES goals against that Ranger was responsible for?

I'm anxious to read it.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure all of our d-men have made a bunch of mistakes. But Ranger's are being magnified and most of the people are just waiting for that one mistake to happen before they pounce again. Ya, just disregard the times Ranger does something good and breaks up a play, wait for when he messes up and lets all start talking about how bad he is.People are trying desperately to point out all his flaws and get him off the team.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure all of our d-men have made a bunch of mistakes. But Ranger's are being magnified and most of the people are just waiting for that one mistake to happen before they pounce again. Ya, just disregard the times Ranger does something good and breaks up a play, wait for when he messes up and lets all start talking about how bad he is.People are trying desperately to point out all his flaws and get him off the team.
The problem is that this goes both ways. People wait for a great play and then make entire articles on it. People can disregard the good plays waiting for the bad just like they can disregard the bad while pointing out the good.

All you can do is try to make a judgment call based on his play as a whole.

mikebel111*

No option for Neither? My vote is Jake Gardiner.

not jake.

he is playing much better now. picking his spots to rush.

If it were me, I would pick franson. he played well against bruins, but I am just going by as a whole.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Just to add to the thread.

I think ranger has been playing well these few games and has really adjusted to the NHL speed. (or it could be the new D pairings)

IMO, Reilly seems like he would have gotten better development at the junior lvl. He's just sitting and hasn't really contributed anything these past 10 games.

Jake has also been looking like he was in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad