Post-Game Talk: Rielly is Rielly, Rielly Good. But Leafs Still Lose. 2-1 Shootout Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It should be very clear now to every Leaf follower that Randy Carlyle was not part of the problem. Under his watch, the team overachieved - a playoff appearance, and most recently a solid winning record and in the playoffs when he was fired. With his influence gone, this collection of players has quickly morphed into their truer, more natural form, which is something equivalent to this wretched Devils team.

MLSE at their best again: amputating the only healthy part of the Toronto Maple Leafs body.

I don't agree.

First of all, I think the system we played was flawed to the point that we wouldn't be able to get any success with it.

Secondly, our collection of players are showing an inability to play a two-way game. They were good offensively when they could cheat and rush, but now when they are expected to work as a unit in all zones they get tentative in the offensive zone.

It's a combination of factors:

1) We are in a slump.
2) We are a mentally weak team which compounds the problem.
3) We change system completely in the middle of a season, which means a transition period where things were always going to look bad.
4) A whole bunch of our players don't seem able to play in a system based on two-way games from all players.
5) The system itself is rather limiting.

We'd probably look better now with Carlyle. But at some point we had to make a change, and the coaching change allows management to move the spotlight to the players and their limitations.

A lot of posters here seem determined to make it all about the coach again though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bernier letting in that untimely or timely goal to some and then losing the skills competition had an OK game, abeit it was another losing game.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Lol well you don't deserve to be in this forum...sticking up for Habs.. Seriously

I hate the Habs. I'm hoping they get bounced in the first round. Next season if Kessel and Phanuef are traded I'd hope the Leaf humiliate them day in and day out. Just because I hate the Habs doesn't mean i'm going to be irrational. Kessel is better than Pacioretty. But there's a reason why Montreal wouldn't trade Subban or Price for anything on the Leafs. They are just better players. Does a Philly fan say Crosby sucks? Do Montreal Fans say Bergeron sucks defensively?

Don't let hate cloud your judgment friend.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

Carlyle is still awful. Maybe he pulled the best out if this group of outcasts and I agree that's worth commending.

But all that did was give a sense of false hope and mask the real problems. The city and management bought in. And it has given us some of the worst years EVER.

I welcome Horachek. He has ensure this broken team won't be crazy glued back together. Just bare through the already wasted season.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
That OT shift by Rielly was pretty much what Moosejaw fans saw from Morgan on a regular basis in the WHL.. Hopefully he does a bit more of that at ES now

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Damn Rielly looked so good tonight. I love that he was taking command of the rush and making chances.

Franson also had a good game as well

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
no.
they are totally not.

I think Arizona (from how i've seen them play recently) and the flyers wiill be bigger ones.

Vorachek and Giroux will be a big test for sure.

Rielly was buzzing all night, and we didn't miss Phaneuf one bit.

With how Rielly is playing, I'd say we should just feed him bigger opportunities for as long as he rises to the occasion.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bernier letting in that untimely or timely goal to some and then losing the skills competition had an OK game, abeit it was another losing game.

I'm not sure if people saw the 3rd angle that was on the broadcast.

From the side view, I thought that he should have caught the puck and looked like a routine save. From the back view, there is no way that he had a chance on that shot. I could barely even see Bernier in the shot from when he released the puck. It was a bad shift, capped off with a goal and they deserved to get scored on.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Vorachek and Giroux will be a big test for sure.

With how Rielly is playing, I'd say we should just feed him bigger opportunities for as long as he rises to the occasion.

Winnipeg was scouting the game and I'd really like to see a Rielly/Bogosian pair.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not sure if people saw the 3rd angle that was on the broadcast.

From the side view, I thought that he should have caught the puck and looked like a routine save. From the back view, there is no way that he had a chance on that shot. I could barely even see Bernier in the shot from when he released the puck. It was a bad shift, capped off with a goal and they deserved to get scored on.

Heh yeah Bernier had like a triple screen on that goal.

leafstilldeath*

I really hope so too. I can't stand watching these 2 players, in particular.

Can't wait till Bozo is outta here. I am sick of seeing him on our 1PP unit taking time away from our young centers (Kadri on 1st PP and Holland on 2nd PP). Time for Bozak to ruin it for some other organization. His time over here is done! Quota is over the limit at the moment

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Winnipeg was scouting the game and I'd really like to see a Rielly/Bogosian pair.

Same here. Completely on the same page.

I said in a trade thread that Bogosian is pretty much the ideal partner for Rielly. Price might be high though.

I think that if a trade is happening, it would go down in the off-season. Jets want to wait out to see what happens with Big Buff first before they know how to do with Bogo.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I am hoping some dumb scout vouches for both Bozak and Clarkson and by some miracle we rid ourselves with mediocrity

Bozak is tradeable and I'm really sad he hasn't been yet. The fact that I haven't even heard his name concerns me.

AlexMo89

Sep 29, 2014
Overall I thought we played a good game, besides the lack of scoring :( I can deal with us trying and playing hard.

Its too bad we couldn't win in the shootout. Personally I wouldn't have played Bozie on the shootout because at this point he has been offensively dry - ie. nothing is going in. Surprised JVR didn't shoot first.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Rielly was buzzing all night, and we didn't miss Phaneuf one bit.

Yeah, I don't like Phaneuf much at all. The guy just stands in front of the net or behind the net waiting for his partner to do the work for him, hardly see him hustling out there. 7M makes you lazy.

Trade Phaneuf in the offseason.

We will have good and bad days with Rielly but it's time to see what we have in him. He's looked great while most of this team has looked like ****. I think he's finally taking more risks, creating a lot of chances and the team is usually in the offensive zone when he's got the puck.

I'll take Rielly playing 25 minutes over Dion any day.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Hmmm.

OT was pretty decent.

9 points out of playoffs and 9 points out of 3rd overall pick, and currently picking 9th overall.

Hopefully the games get a bit more exciting going forward at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad