Post-Game Talk: Rielly is Rielly, Rielly Good. But Leafs Still Lose. 2-1 Shootout Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

He wasn't there?

Well, for the most part Phaneuf isn't a dominant player on the ice when he is in the line-up. Whether he is their best defender or not, he isn't dominant for the most part he's passive and let's the game come at him, he doesn't take it to the game.

He was adequately replaced by Granberg and Holzer.

its pretty bad when we are praising potential bottom pairing defenders, especially one who was outplayed by Percy in the pre season and most of the regular season and other youngsters like Loov

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
You mean like the Buffalo Sabres who have 3x1sts +3X2nds + 1st pick of the 3rd round = 7 picks in the top 61 players available.

Leafs are already living on credit as their 2nd belongs to the Stanley Cup champ Kings for Bernier and as such Leafs have only 1 pick currently in the top 61 or 2 in the top 90 players.

Which team is better positioned for a draft rebuild and in better position for McDavid?

Even with Leafs losing now and falling out of the playoff race its still not much of a future unless Shanny and Co. react soon and start filling up the draft pick bucket.

This makes me so angry. So so angry.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This makes me so angry. So so angry.

Buffalo is in a much better position to support/surround McDavid currently than we are. They already have higher end rookie talent like Reinhart/Ristolainen/Zhadorov etc. than we do and have a host of picks in the 15 draft to develop along with McDavid (age wise) they made a decision for the future while the Leafs refuse to let go of the present. Eventually the Leafs core will leave us in the past.

Tyler Biggs*

Granberg fitted in pretty well with them and has a bit of a rough side.

Tyler Biggs*

At least the effort was there. Outshot the Devils, more hits, didn't lose too many faceoffs....good step towards the new system.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
What the hell is Lou Lam building in NJ? Anyone know?

kp0606_Garbage_fire.jpg

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
You mean like the Buffalo Sabres who have 3x1sts +3X2nds + 1st pick of the 3rd round = 7 picks in the top 61 players available.

Leafs are already living on credit as their 2nd belongs to the Stanley Cup champ Kings for Bernier and as such Leafs have only 1 pick currently in the top 61 or 2 in the top 90 players.

Which team is better positioned for a draft rebuild and in better position for McDavid?

Even with Leafs losing now and falling out of the playoff race its still not much of a future unless Shanny and Co. react soon and start filling up the draft pick bucket.

Plus whatever picks they get if they trade pending UFA's:
Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell, Ellis, Meszaros, Benoit, Strachan, Neuvirth, Enroth.

Or if they decide to finally trade Myers.

Some of these guys will probably fetch a late round pick, or low level prospect. Some may returned a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Either way it gives you more picks to rebuild your franchise,to package together to obtain higher picks, or more top picks. They could walk away with 10 players picked in the top 65 picks in a supposedly very deep draft to go along with a McDavid or Eichel (unless something drastic happens). What a way to completely restock your franchise with young and maybe very high end talent. Exciting for them.

For us, it sucks.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Plus whatever picks they get if they trade pending UFA's:
Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell, Ellis, Meszaros, Benoit, Strachan, Neuvirth, Enroth.

Or if they decide to finally trade Myers.

Some of these guys will probably fetch a late round pick, or low level prospect. Some may returned a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Either way it gives you more picks to rebuild your franchise,to package together to obtain higher picks, or more top picks. They could walk away with 10 players picked in the top 65 picks in a supposedly very deep draft to go along with a McDavid or Eichel (unless something drastic happens). What a way to completely restock your franchise with young and maybe very high end talent. Exciting for them.

For us, it sucks.

Not to worry. The anti build through the draft and draft your no. 1 C crowd will get to see plenty of McDavid if Buffalo gets him.

Dallas Eakins*

Well I stand corrected. Without Dion Phanuef our defence is just terrible! I mean, giving up ONE GOAL?!

We CLEARLY need Phanuef back ASAP :sarcasm:

I knew someone would come in with something like this, I feel bad dignifying it with a response but ya know it was one ****ing game and against New Jersey at that.

Dallas Eakins*

If you look at it, JVR and Pacioretty are the same in terms of points, Kessel is heads above anyone else they have on their top line. Desharnais and Bozak are both scrubs.

Pacioretty got 39 goals last year and he wasn't playing with Phil Kessel, played 8 less games, and didn't get all of his points (A)on the power play (B) On a team that exclusively cheats for offence and actually concerns themselves with victories. Also this year there is a 45 point difference in plus/minus you can argue if its an inefficient stat but that is a massive disparity.

This Pacioretty JVR comparable needs to stop it's not even close, if you want to compare Patches to someone the Leafs have it's their main offensive weapon the guy who drives their top line. And I hate the Habs… but lets get real.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
He's being traded because he's overpaid, too old to be part of a rebuild and could likely land us a couple of decent futures.

So do you think the team is flat rebuilding? I dont.

Maybe they are for the first time in franchise history but if I am not wrong (Richard Peddy or Larry Tanenbaum) is still the head man and I don't think he believes in rebuilds. But hey maybe Leiweke talked him into it on his way out the door.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Lou Lam is starting an old timers league. Should have been fired a while ago. The Devils are brutal.

I would not be surprised to see the Devils rise up out of the ashes far sooner than our Leafs!

I'd bet on Lamoriello before I'd put any money down on Nonis!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
You know even if we get mcdavid, the rest of the team still needs to be fixed... Right?
Clearly. The chance of getting him is obviously extremely low, a bit of a pipedream, but IF we did luck out, I'd have confidence in our long term future. If you think about the true super-prospects that have been drafted semi-recently (Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares), they went into terrible teams, and the turnaround wasn't instantaneous or anything, but when you have a real superstar to build around it's a lot easier to be successful eventually. If we were building around a young core of McDavid, Rielly, Kadri, Nylander, Bernier, etc., I'd have faith that we'd eventually be able to build a really strong team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad