Value of: Rielly for another D 1-for-1 swap?

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Why don't people just calm down and let the team carry on rebuilding? Last season they tore it down now they need a couple years at least to rebuild it properly.
They'll be fine if they stick to the plan.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Leafs are rebuilding since 2003-2004. They got to the Playoff once since then and it was the Lockout year (2012-2013).

Re-Re-ReBuild.

nope.

Lockout-to-Shanahan was constantly bandaiding problems while trying to be competitive every year and selling futures to do it (see: Phil Kessel Acquisition)

Average position of first Leafs pick from 2003 to Shanahan - 32.54
Average position of first Leafs pick from Shanahan to present - 4.33
Average position of first Leafs pick since deciding to commit to a true rebuild - 2.5

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
nope.

Lockout-to-Shanahan was constantly bandaiding problems while trying to be competitive every year and selling futures to do it (see: Phil Kessel Acquisition)

Average position of first Leafs pick from 2003 to Shanahan - 32.54
Average position of first Leafs pick from Shanahan to present - 4.33
Average position of first Leafs pick since deciding to commit to a true rebuild - 2.5

oh ok my bad Leafs are just bad since all those years then.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To every person that has EVER asked why i don't put alot of stock into adavanced stats.....here's your answer.

Thats always how he posts, he basically always talks about high danger shots/chances which is a valid point, except he constructs his posts in a weird way :laugh:. HD shots/chances is a very important stat.

I used to think he was nutz, then I actually took the trouble to read and understand one of his posts. The stats he uses are really not too far out. I like how he attempts to quantify the value of defense to a team in numerical terms. Perhaps it's the old schooler in me that feels defensive play is getting undervalued in this Fantasy Sports era where points are everything.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
My wife was an editor in the sun chain and now post media.
She was taught in school to write to a grade 5 level to get a large audience.
A couple grades lower for sports fans.
At a kindergarten level for Toronto and MTL.
these are the ones finally getting it.

Does anyone else find this ironic? You really need to work on your writing if you to come across as more than a basement dwelling neckbeard.

Also, I can make up stats too! Rielly is +1 on the HD scoring with the ladies factor! Which is a +10 to team moral giving us a +11 factor of sexyness. That's better than Crosby's -5 for the dirt stache, thus by the math I wouldn't trade Rielly for Crosby!

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I used to think he was nutz, then I actually took the trouble to read and understand one of his posts. The stats he uses are really not too far out. I like how he attempts to quantify the value of defense to a team in numerical terms. Perhaps it's the old schooler in me that feels defensive play is getting undervalued in this Fantasy Sports era where points are everything.

Yea HD shots/chances is basically slot/high scoring area coverage, classic defensive dman style who prioritize defending the front of their net. HD shots has about a 7:1 shooting % ratio over Corsi shots.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Does anyone else find this ironic? You really need to work on your writing if you to come across as more than a basement dwelling neckbeard.

Also, I can make up stats too! Rielly is +1 on the HD scoring with the ladies factor! Which is a +10 to team moral giving us a +11 factor of sexyness. That's better than Crosby's -5 for the dirt stache, thus by the math I wouldn't trade Rielly for Crosby!

Are his stats made up?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

He writes like a math/science nerd. A lot of people who are heavy into that stuff have atrocious linguistic syntax (as do a lot of people in general). Doesn't mean he's wrong. I've definitely warmed up to the oilerbear posts, even though they malign Giordano fairly regularly.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
True, but their D is so offensively minded that trading one for a more defensive minded one makes sense though.

I know the immediate connection is lots of goals against must mean the D is too offensive, but that's not necessarily the case. A lot of our goals against are coming off of sloppy breakouts that get turned over at center ice, sloppy zone clearing attempts that get held in, and losing the line in the offensive zone. A Karlsson would help us more than a Vlasic right now IMO.

Don't get me wrong, we need a Vlasic too, and some of our D take too many risks once they're in the offensive zone, but that's not the biggest problem right now. If we had a clean effective breakout we'd have survived at least half of those 3rd period meltdowns.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I thought sending down vets like Greening, Laich and Michalek was a pretty good shakeup.

Maybe the Leafs need some stability and growth now.

Trading Rielly is a non-starter.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Just because the previous 9 years of rebuilding didn't work - doesn't mean they didn't exist.

previous 9 years of rebuilding ? do yourself a favor and go educate yourself on hockey. There's a difference between being bad and rebuilding. Nice attempt at taking a shot though. You'll see the difference between what a bad team/rebuilding team looks like soon enough anyways. Sweeney gonna do wonders in bruin land.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't think Rielly is all he's cracked up to be and I don't think he'll ever be a complete #1 d-man. But we should value him for what he is and recognize he can be a really good top pairing d-man if he's given proper defensive support beside him.

This . I find TML fans exaggerate how good he is , that is not to say he isn't good . I see him as a #2 or 3 on a cup contender . He is TML best D and he shouldn't be traded . TML just needs to add another D or 2 . If they could some how add Trouba they would have the making of a good top pairing and both guys are young enough and could get better

Rielly Trouba

Gardiner XXX Add a decent 3 or 4 guy and I think that D could be solid .

Anyways if he is being offer for trade I would hope the Oilers make a push for him .

Klefbom Larsson 23 minute a night pair
Rielly Davidson 20 minute a night pairing ....only works if Davidson plays like he did at the end of last season
Sekera Russell 17 minute a night
Nurse 10 to 12 minutes sub thru out the line

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This . I find TML fans exaggerate how good he is , that is not to say he isn't good . I see him as a #2 or 3 on a cup contender . He is TML best D and he shouldn't be traded . TML just needs to add another D or 2 . If they could some how add Trouba they would have the making of a good top pairing and both guys are young enough and could get better

Rielly Trouba

Gardiner XXX Add a decent 3 or 4 guy and I think that D could be solid .

Anyways if he is being offer for trade I would hope the Oilers make a push for him .

Klefbom Larsson 23 minute a night pair
Rielly Davidson 20 minute a night pairing ....only works if Davidson plays like he did at the end of last season
Sekera Russell 17 minute a night
Nurse 10 to 12 minutes sub thru out the line

Don't let Jets' fans see this, they will run to the barns to grab pitchforks. According to them...we'd need to add to Rielly to get the great Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad