Value of: Rielly for another D 1-for-1 swap?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
and even then the jets would need to add a significant asset.
can't see a guy who doesnt wanna play the left side, and doesnt wanna play in Canada, working out well on a Mike Babcock coached team

Is it Canada he doesn't want to play in or just Winnipeg?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah i know it wont happen, Just supposedly the asking price from him according to what Dreger said and i think that Craig Button pretty much said the exact same thing that Chevy would want Rielly for Trouba. Rielly definitely fits what Chevy is seeking all the more reason why i doubt a Trouba to Toronto deal will ever materialize.

if thats really what they are expecting, trouba will remain a jet.
mckenzie said they wanted spooner, carlo and a 1st from boston. wow, just wow

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Is it Canada he doesn't want to play in or just Winnipeg?

the tsn guys are reporting that he would prefer to not be in Canada.

so 5.5mil +, only right side getting top pairing minutes, only american team...kid didnt learn anything from the drouin situation and will likely just sign and crawl back with his tail between his legs

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Dude. We are in year 2 of our rebuild. This does not need to happen. We are not contenders, we will not be trading core pieces to help this team compete immediately. Rielly isn't the problem.

Just because the previous 9 years of rebuilding didn't work - doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That defense has exactly one thing going for it. I'm not a GM, but I think trading that one piece is a... what do you call it? Can't find the word...

Oh yes. Bad.

It's a bad decision.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That defense has exactly one thing going for it. I'm not a GM, but I think trading that one piece is a... what do you call it? Can't find the word...

Oh yes. Bad.

It's a bad decision.

Defensively, Zaitsev >Rielly so far.
So no he is not the only thing..

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Holy hell. People are claiming Rielly isn't even a top pairing D now? What in the? They expect him to do everything and when he doesn't he's a bust?

- He has been paired with Hunwik and Marincin for most of the games, along with a rookie Zaitsev for one and a half.
- Has has switched from right side to left about 3 times already back and forth this year as Babcock tries to find someone who doesn't look like a pylon to play with him
- In all of this, aside from hero charts saying he's bad at suppressing shots, he has an overwhelmingly positive corsi for playing hard shut down minutes.
- Additionally he has 4 points in 8 games, or over 40 point pace on the season.
- Additionally we have had goaltending struggles early on which inflated chances against.

I would like to see a single D in the NHL who could play in Rielly's position and look like a #1 D. Offense isn't good enough, people expect him to be literally Bobby Orr or he sucks.

He has been playing the PK and hardly getting PP minutes again so far. What do we expect? The entire roster is playing poorly as they adjust to relying on rookies so much.

This is just beyond unbelievable at this stage, and it really makes me dislike fans who go nuts with such a small sample size.

This guy is 22 and people want him to be Orr. Just madness.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Just because the previous 9 years of rebuilding didn't work - doesn't mean they didn't exist.

In that same vein, people who post stuff like this show they are unknowledgable about Toronto's situation. NEVER before Shanny was hired and even during his first year did the Leafs try to sell off futures and tank for high picks, or even focus through the draft.

Every year the management said they wanted playoffs, and signed UFA's to over inflated deals and traded our 1sts and 2nds like candy to try and win.

When the rebuild started is when the Leafs collapsed for a 4th time in a row and he blew up management and we took Marner 4th OA. Before that we were a bad team failing to make the playoffs each year.

After this, management was over hauled, Kessel was traded, so was Phaneuf and all our expensive contracts we could trade. We started hoarding draft picks, and the biggest difference, management said the goal was to develop for a few years and not make the playoffs.

I can't take anyone who says the Leafs have been rebuilding longer than a few years seriously. Everyone knows the Leafs were trying to make the playoffs the whole time, you all enjoyed laughing at us when we failed, but now want to say it never happened.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Holy hell. People are claiming Rielly isn't even a top pairing D now? What in the? They expect him to do everything and when he doesn't he's a bust?

- He has been paired with Hunwik and Marincin for most of the games, along with a rookie Zaitsev for one and a half.
- Has has switched from right side to left about 3 times already back and forth this year as Babcock tries to find someone who doesn't look like a pylon to play with him
- In all of this, aside from hero charts saying he's bad at suppressing shots, he has an overwhelmingly positive corsi for playing hard shut down minutes.
- Additionally we have had goaltending struggles early on which inflated chances against.

I would like to see a single D in the NHL who could play in Rielly's position and look like a #1 D. Offense isn't good enough, people expect him to be literally Bobby Orr or he sucks.

He has been playing the PK and hardly getting PP minutes again so far. What do we expect? The entire roster is playing poorly as they adjust to relying on rookies so much.

This is just beyond unbelievable at this stage, and it really makes me dislike fans who go nuts with such a small sample size.

Well when all we heard and saw on HF Boards this summer was that he was Canada's best D at the World Championships and North America's best D at the World Cup, it raises the expectations for Rielly, no?

And what do you mean the "entire roster is playing poorly"? Didn't you create a thread a couple days ago saying the Leafs 3 rookies have been dominant?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Well when all we heard and saw on HF Boards this summer was that he was Canada's best D at the World Championships and North America's best D at the World Cup, it raises the expectations for Rielly, no?

And what do you mean the "entire roster is playing poorly"? Didn't you create a thread a couple days ago saying the Leafs 3 rookies have been dominant?

All I heard was Ekblad was soooo much better. With a 8+ AAV deal, we expect more than 1 point in 9 games for the Panthers, no? Like I said, I'd like to see a single D succeed in the position Rielly is in right now. He is literally being relied on as our entire defense.

And yes the roster has struggled. Sure, our rookies are doing great so far but the team as a whole has had structure breakdown after breakdown. Blown assignments galore and no one to play with Rielly.

But sure, let's blame Rielly :)

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Ok, lets just go along with OPs thread.

Realistically i would want a dman similar age as him, drafted 2010-2016, also drafted top 15ish.

1) Cam Fowler (2010)
2) Adam Larsson (2011)
3) Dougie Hamilton (2011)
4) Jonas Brodin (2011)
5) Oskar Klefbom (2011)
6) Ryan Murray (2012)
7) Hampus Lindholm (2012)
8) Jacob Trouba (2012)
9) Matt Dumba (2012)
10) Olli Maatta (2012)
11) Seth Jones (2013)
12) Darnell Nurse (2013)
13) Rasmus Ristolainen (2013)
14) Aaron Ekblad (2014, lol i wish)
15) Noah Hanifin (2015)
16) Ivan Provorov (2015)
17) Zach Werenski (2015)
18) Olli Juolevi (2016)

Out of this list, theres some trades that both teams would say no, some trades where other teams would say no, and some where Leafs GM would say no.

We could be a little open minded, and just discuss the thread. Regardless of it being realistic or not. 3 years before, who would have thought Subban could be traded in a 1on1.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012

Rielly is entering his fifth year post draft, and still makes questionnable decisions quite often. I firmly believe he is a fantastic skater with above average offensive IQ, but his defensive game game is STILL a work in progress, and not top-pair worthy at this point. He relies on his skating to cover himself because his decision making/IQ is lackluster in his own zone, and while not weak, he isint a physical presence. Add to that the fact that he is no PPQB with amazing vision and that his shot is not a threat at all, I find it hard to see a sure-fire #1. Out of all the leafs players, he is the most overrated.

And the problem with the projections of the leafs defence some fans make (which often includes Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev in the top 4 and Carrick on the bottom pair as the players who will stick long term) is that none of those players I would call solid on the defense side of things. Some of them (Gardiner) I would even call disasters on that front. You cant win if all your defensemens are offense first. They need to fix this ASAP.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
If you want young top4 RHD with first pairing potential, you shouldn't trade Reilly, it's a wash. Instead you should try something around Marner for Hamilton with some value balancing - I believe he would be available for young top6 winger with 1st line potential, it's something Calgary badly needs. No, JVR and/or Kapanen won't suffice, you need to give if you want to get.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
Man, if there is one thing I hate more than Habs fans, it's other Leafs fans that are absolutely clueless.

What possibly lead to this conclusion that we should to trade freaking Morgan Rielly? Yesterday's game?? HE WASNT ON THE ICE FOR A SINGLE FKING GOAL.

Montreal game? He tried a pass near his blue line to Matthews who had speed and it got picked off, mistake but he's an offensive defenseman. I rather him do that than see Marinbum ****ing dumping it off the boards every 2 seconds and losing possession for us when a simple pass to the other defender will suffice.

Has he been Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty? No and I don't think he ever will be, but c'mon he has had 0 powerplay time (like when you saw him at the world cup he was quite effective there) and strictly pK duties with a young and learning forward core with questionable veterans. You stick any young guy in this situation here whether it be Ekblad, Trouba, so and so and so on- you will get the same freaking situation.

People never freaking learn to not trade the players that are actual quality, for players that shined in a much better situation (ie. ALL the Goalies) and that's how we ended up in this mess since 67.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The whole idea of this thread is insane. If we are going to do something stupid, how about we trade one of our young forwards for some D help? (Not suggesting it). People....especially ones like OP, you need to understand what we are seeing. A defense that after Rielly/Zaitsev/Gardiner...is a bunch of crap like Polak/Marincin/Hunwick/Carrick, and Zaitsev/Gardiner would barely make top 4 on a good team. We also have a bunch of very young forwards still trying to gel and learn the system.

Patience.....you need patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad