Value of: Rickard Rakell

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Funny that you're bringing Domi up in here.. because in my head if I were the Sabres GM, the two players I'd be aggressively going after with that 8th pick chip that from what it sounds like are available for trade are Rakell and Domi.

I like Domi a lot, and you bring up a valid point about the contract. My thinking was Domi may cost a little more than Rakell because he's a bit younger and has that RFA status.
At the end of the day though, I'm not bothered by Rakell's contract situation at all (UFA in 2 yrs) The $3.78m AAV on Rakell is going to be better than whatever Domi re-signs for I'm assuming, even if it only ends up being a 2 or 3 year bridge deal. And if BUF were to re-sign Domi to a long-term deal, while I'd like the security of locking him in, the AAV will then be much higher than Rakell's.

Domi is my #2 option I'd try and go for after Rakell though, I think he fits what BUF needs very well. If I couldn't get either, I'd probably keep the pick and draft either Holtz or Lundell.

Does Buffalo realistically have the pieces to trade for both players without gutting the system? I remember Buffalo fans talking about wanting a 2C a while back... adding both Rakell and Domi along with some of their recent high picks stepping up would really push them up in the East, almost a guaranteed playoff team and possible contender.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Hmm

Rakell and Manson
For
8th + 2021 1st

I’d say the 1st would have to be protected from buffalo perspective to some extent, but I’d prob do it

How kind of you lol. 2021 top 11 protected. Might need some salary going back to yall in hindsight

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Hmm

Rakell and Manson
For
8th + 2021 1st

I’d say the 1st would have to be protected from buffalo perspective to some extent, but I’d prob do it

How kind of you lol. 2021 top 11 protected. Might need some salary going back to yall in hindsight

Manson is worth more than a 2021 protected first round pick, which is the value he's getting in this scenario.

He's certainly entitled to his opinion, but Getz2noone seems to be willing to do a lot of deals most other duck fans would not.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Manson is worth more than a 2021 protected first round pick, which is the value he's getting in this scenario.

He's certainly entitled to his opinion, but Getz2noone seems to be willing to do a lot of deals most other duck fans would not.
I would say Manson isn’t worth more than an unprotected 1st round pick, I’d say top 5 or 10 protected.... but no way is a team risking losing a top 5 pick on Manson lol, be realistic man ... we don’t have anyone on our roster worth a top 5. It’s unlikely obviously that it ends up in the top 5 or even top 10, but I imagine a team would want protection on that pick for a player like Manson.
If the pick lands in the 6-20 range it’s a pretty good trade for us.... if it’s in the 20-32 range it’s even.

there is also the difference in 8th > Rakell part of the trade, that balances out the unpredictability of the 21 pick and the slight under payment on Manson

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
#8 in this draft is too heavy for an only 2 year guarantee of Rakell, when we can have team control of our pick for the next 8+ years.

How would you feel about Mittelstadt + 2020 2nd + 2021 3rd + Laaksonen

The Ducks already have a struggling young center that needs time to grow and prove himself in Steel.

The 8th is a perfect fit for the Ducks. This doesn’t push the needle at all.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Hmm

Rakell and Manson
For
8th + 2021 1st

Buffalo adds if there is top 10 protection or something like that.

Manson is worth more then a mid 1st, or he would be on Toronto right now.

Reactions: duckpuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I think part of the difference is made up from the difference in Rakell and the 8th. As I think the 8th pick is slightly more value than Rakell for 2 years.

I could see buffalo add for protection but the add i don’t thjnk would need to be super significant

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't think Manson is worth what you think he is worth. Leafs are interested in that type of RD yes but not at that price. Manson's corsi is well below 50% over the last few years now. He did have a great 17/18 season though. Probably a fluke like Domi's age 23 season right? :sarcasm:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't think Manson is worth what you think he is worth. Leafs are interested in that type of RD yes but not at that price. Manson's corsi is well below 50% over the last few years now. He did have a great 17/18 season though. Probably a fluke like Domi's age 23 season right? :sarcasm:

If he doesn't bring back a very strong return, Bob Murray won't move him.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

To be fair, he still plays the matchup line with more defensive zone starts than offensive on a team with no shut down center and no stars that can control the game... Gibson is literally the only player they have that's top 10 in their position, hell most of the other players probably don't crack top 30 in their positions except Lindholm.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be fair, he still plays the matchup line with more defensive zone starts than offensive on a team with no shut down center and no stars that can control the game... Gibson is literally the only player they have that's top 10 in their position, hell most of the other players probably don't crack top 30 in their positions except Lindholm.

I know his game fairly well. Just don't think a team is going to give you the pry away value you would take to move him. He's a solid asset yes.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

That 8th pick would be huge for us and protection really depends on what kind of protection. I doubt buff would get a top 3 pick regardless. I actually like the deal. Get a potential top pair d in sanderson or drysdale and a great young forward prospect with our 6th pick, get another first for next year and cause us to tank to get a top 5 pick next year. Would could also take a short term cap dump.. Would give us the best young prospect pool in the league by end of 21 season and tons of cap space to make a fa move to round out the team and fill any holes.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Does Buffalo realistically have the pieces to trade for both players without gutting the system? I remember Buffalo fans talking about wanting a 2C a while back... adding both Rakell and Domi along with some of their recent high picks stepping up would really push them up in the East, almost a guaranteed playoff team and possible contender.

Sorry I worded my post poorly... I was trying to say if I could not get Rakell for BUF, I'd then go after Domi. Those are the two guys I'd target in some kind of deal involving the 8th pick.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think part of the difference is made up from the difference in Rakell and the 8th. As I think the 8th pick is slightly more value than Rakell for 2 years.

I could see buffalo add for protection but the add i don’t thjnk would need to be super significant

Aside from the trade protection issue, you're ignoring that a 2020 pick is generally considered more valuable than the same pick the following year. Yes - draft strength varies from year to year. But there's value in getting a player sooner if you're not tanking.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Aside from the trade protection issue, you're ignoring that a 2020 pick is generally considered more valuable than the same pick the following year. Yes - draft strength varies from year to year. But there's value in getting a player sooner if you're not tanking.
Rakell < 8th
Manson > 21 1st

But the Manson part is a gamble, if buffalo ends up bottom half of the league it’s great for us, if they end up top of the league it’s meh for us. Difference made up by the difference in Rakell and 8th

Reactions: Trojans86

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I would add the 27th or 36th to rakell in order to get Buffalos’ number 8 pick
I make that deal all day as a Sabres fan. Wait...let me look at Rakell’s contract...oh shit only 2 years left to UFA? No thanks. Sorry, that’s just not enough security to part with 8th overall. The player is worth it, but 2 years of team control is a bad deal for the Sabres.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I make that deal all day as a Sabres fan. Wait...let me look at Rakell’s contract...oh shit only 2 years left to UFA? No thanks. Sorry, that’s just not enough security to part with 8th overall. The player is worth it, but 2 years of team control is a bad deal for the Sabres.

I understand the hesitation to move a top 10 pick, but Rakell's contract is one of the better values in the league. For two years in this flat cap era you would be getting a top line winger for less than 4M per, and the Ducks could probably take a bit of money back for further incentive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad