Value of: Rickard Rakell

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Futures or specific roster needs?

The Ducks pretty much have their bottom 9 and LHD filled out. Rakell, even at under $2 mil, won't get a top line player back, so Ducks need more stabs at a chance at top liners (draft picks) and RHD prospects that have a good chance at making an impact at the NHL level (not saying guaranteed top pair).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kapanen for Rakell straight-up.

Pens get the better player, Ducks get younger, shave salary, and a player who's an RFA after his deal.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Timmins + 1st has been pretty popular previously. How do Anaheim fans view that one now?

Personally I'm not sure if I would do that as it would feel pretty steep to part ways with #24 and Timmins. Maybe 2021 1st would be better, or alternatively #24 + Helleson (with maybe another smallish add).

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Timmins + 1st has been pretty popular previously. How do Anaheim fans view that one now?

Personally I'm not sure if I would do that as it would feel pretty steep to part ways with #24 and Timmins. Maybe 2021 1st would be better, or alternatively #24 + Helleson (with maybe another smallish add).

Compared to what I've seen MTL and EDM fans throw out 24+Helleson would have zero appeal. Timmins and 24 would even be tough with his injury history. We just got rid of a good player in Kase because he couldn't stop getting concussions. I doubt we want the best piece back in a Rakell trade to be a guy with a history of head injuries.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Kapanen for Rakell straight-up.

Pens get the better player, Ducks get younger, shave salary, and a player who's an RFA after his deal.

Kapanen wouldn't be of interest to the Ducks. Ducks have guys that should be as good as he is. Kap couldn't even out score Rakell on a team with real offensive weapons. He'd be a 20-30 point guy on the Ducks. Pens chance to land Rakell likely left when they acquired Kapanen. That pick would have been the best asset they had for Rakell.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
IF the ducks are open to moving him they should retain 50% they'd get A LOT for Rakell at 1.9 million

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
IF the ducks are open to moving him they should retain 50% they'd get A LOT for Rakell at 1.9 million

The Ducks might be open to that, and I think that's what a lot of Ducks fans would do. Anaheim only has about $65 mil in real dollars committed next season once they get a backup goalie (assuming about $2 mil for Miller). They shouldn't be one of the teams looking to cut salary, so they could retain on Rakell and hopefully get a haul.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kapanen wouldn't be of interest to the Ducks. Ducks have guys that should be as good as he is. Kap couldn't even out score Rakell on a team with real offensive weapons. He'd be a 20-30 point guy on the Ducks. Pens chance to land Rakell likely left when they acquired Kapanen. That pick would have been the best asset they had for Rakell.

It's fine if you don't want Kapanen, but he only spent 288 of his 850 ES minutes with Matthews and Tavares last season. The reason he was scoring was not because he had star linemates.

Further, his ES production is identical to Rakell's. 31 in 69 for KK versus 30 in 65 for Rakell.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's fine if you don't want Kapanen, but he only spent 288 of his 850 ES minutes with Matthews and Tavares last season. The reason he was scoring was not because he had star linemates.

Further, his ES production is identical to Rakell's. 31 in 69 for KK versus 30 in 65 for Rakell.

That's still 1/3 of the season playing with Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander. I'm guessing Rakell was also more of a focus for defenses than Kapanen was. I'm not saying Kapanen is a bad player, just that the Ducks should have guys that will put up similar production in the future. Rakell on that team would have put up much more points, he had almost 70 with 32/33 year old Getzlaf and is on a team with the highest scoring center being Henrique. Picks and RHD prospects are the only realistic things the Ducks should be focusing on.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's still 1/3 of the season playing with Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander. I'm guessing Rakell was also more of a focus for defenses than Kapanen was. I'm not saying Kapanen is a bad player, just that the Ducks should have guys that will put up similar production in the future. Rakell on that team would have put up much more points, he had almost 70 with 32/33 year old Getzlaf and is on a team with the highest scoring center being Henrique. Picks and RHD prospects are the only realistic things the Ducks should be focusing on.

That's fair.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Take these stats with a grain of salt, but according Natural Stat Trick (Kasperi Kapanen - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick), Matthews' xGF% was 49.1% when playing with Kapanen, and 56.4% without Kapanen. Tavaras was at 43% with Kapenen, and 54% without him. Yes, this is a limited sample, but this tells me that Kapanen is more suited to play against weaker competition than those top guys play, which is fine. I do think Kapanen is a useful player, but I don't believe he is as valuable as Rakell. Not to mention anyone could tell you that the Maple Leafs' offense is about 10x more potent than Anaheim's.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Take these stats with a grain of salt, but according Natural Stat Trick (Kasperi Kapanen - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick), Matthews' xGF% was 49.1% when playing with Kapanen, and 56.4% without Kapanen. Tavaras was at 43% with Kapenen, and 54% without him. Yes, this is a limited sample, but this tells me that Kapanen is more suited to play against weaker competition than those top guys play, which is fine. I do think Kapanen is a useful player, but I don't believe he is as valuable as Rakell. Not to mention anyone could tell you that the Maple Leafs' offense is about 10x more potent than Anaheim's.

Kapanen certainly didn't click with Matthews or Tavares last year. But he was productive on his own.

What that says, I'm not sure. Maybe he's a 3rd line player who does better when he's carrying the play.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
In previous threads some MTL fans were on board with 16th + Juulsen/Fleury. That's the kind of deal we'd be looking for.

I'd be down with that as a habs fan.

However, Juulsen because of his injuries has less value than Fleury, but likely a higher upside if he comes back and plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->