Value of: Rickard Rakell

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Could Rakell take the Panthers 2C spot? Would LOVE to add Manson.

what’s the ask from Florida?

Rakell is a winger, best at LW but can play either side. He was drafted as a center and played there when he broke into the league but he's been playing wing full time for years now, outside of occasional spot duty at center when our depth was destroyed by injuries.

Reactions: Laus723

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Rakell is a winger, best at LW but can play either side. He was drafted as a center and played there when he broke into the league but he's been playing wing full time for years now, outside of occasional spot duty at center when our depth was destroyed by injuries.

thanks. Wasn’t sure.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Could Rakell take the Panthers 2C spot? Would LOVE to add Manson.

what’s the ask from Florida?

The Rakell at center experiment never worked out. He needs to play with a line driver (preferably a C). If he's not moved, it'll be interesting to see how he plays with Zegras in a few years. Zegras might have the playmaking to wake up Rakell's offense again.

Reactions: Laus723

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I understand the hesitation to move a top 10 pick, but Rakell's contract is one of the better values in the league. For two years in this flat cap era you would be getting a top line winger for less than 4M per, and the Ducks could probably take a bit of money back for further incentive.
Like I said, he’s worth it, but it doesn’t make sense for the Sabres.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What’s the cost to him to Columbus?

guessing something like

Anderson + Bemstrom + Carlson?

I don't know anything about the value of those players, but the Ducks have a system where (realistically) have everything but the top line and RHD covered. They need high end talent, which likely means draft picks so the scouting staff have more stabs at a home run pick. The prospect pool is currently thin on RHD (pending the draft, if Ducks take Drysdale then that covers up a lot of that weakness). Currently Zegras is the only one that has a realistic chance of being a top line player/driver. Lindholm is the only top pair guy on the team and Fowler is a solid #3, both will (hopefully) be around for a while still but are LHD. Ducks are set in goal with Gibson now and Dostal coming up (hopefully).

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
28th overall
Brannstrom

The only problem with Brannstrom is he is a LHD.

If he was a RHD I think I would be all over this. Right now he would be stuck on the third pairing behind Lindholm and Fowler.

Not to mention he would be in the group of like 4 guys needing that third pairing spot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like I said, he’s worth it, but it doesn’t make sense for the Sabres.

If the Ducks miss out on Drysdale at 6th... Habs will trade you Domi for the 8th OA (we can try to sign him to the offer you like before the trade)... As long as if the Ducks want to move Rakell for the 16th and Brook. If The Ducks say no to Rakell, I think we keep Domi.

Seems like there might be a fit there for all teams from the conversations I have had.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Bit late to the discussion, but I think Rakell fits fairly solidly within the timeline of the Canadiens. I think in the next 1-5 years we're looking to make a push while Price, Petry and Weber are still around. Rakell is similarly aged to the Danault/Gallagher/Tatar part of the team as well.

I'm perfectly comfortable giving up pick 16 + Brook + 2020 2nd for Rakell.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Bit late to the discussion, but I think Rakell fits fairly solidly within the timeline of the Canadiens. I think in the next 1-5 years we're looking to make a push while Price, Petry and Weber are still around. Rakell is similarly aged to the Danault/Gallagher/Tatar part of the team as well.

Thats prob the best offer so far, some may side with buffalo... depending whos available at 8.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If the Ducks miss out on Drysdale at 6th... Habs will trade you Domi for the 8th OA (we can try to sign him to the offer you like before the trade)... As long as if the Ducks want to move Rakell for the 16th and Brook. If The Ducks say no to Rakell, I think we keep Domi.

Seems like there might be a fit there for all teams from the conversations I have had.

I can't imagine any scenario where Ducks give up 8OA for an unsigned 50ish point RFA

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I could see taking back someone like Lehkonen if needed to balance out the cap a bit. Wouldn't want to add much of anything in return though, as we could probably just sign someone of similar value in FA.

If the Ducks do move Rakell, it would be a good idea to get a proven NHL winger to as a placeholder for the top 9, even if only a 3rd line type. Trying to avoid handing jobs to kids until they force their way in.

We would be looking at Silfverberg, Heinen, Milano, Terry, Comtois and Jones filling out the top 9 winger spots without Rakell.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I could see taking back someone like Lehkonen if needed to balance out the cap a bit. Wouldn't want to add much of anything in return though, as we could probably just sign someone of similar value in FA.

If the Ducks do move Rakell, it would be a good idea to get a proven NHL winger to as a placeholder for the top 9, even if only a 3rd line type. Trying to avoid handing jobs to kids until they force their way in.

We would be looking at Silfverberg, Heinen, Milano, Terry, Comtois and Jones filling out the top 9 winger spots without Rakell.
Honestly there are probably 7+ other forwards the management + coaching staff would trade for cap reasons before Lehkonen so I doubt it goes there.

If anyone (probably not necessary), it would have to be someone like Byron or Weal. They're absolutely less appealing than Lehkonen, so I don't see the need for contract swapping.
If the Canadiens feel the need to dump cap, it will likely just be with another team, and it will likely come from dealing a piece from the back-end. (Alzner, Kulak, Mete)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can't imagine any scenario where Ducks give up 8OA for an unsigned 50ish point RFA

Ducks don't have the 8th OA. It was the Sabres. Don't think you understood that. Sounds like the Sabres won't give the 8th OA for Rakell's 2 year left but might with Domi in a sign/trade. Domi is not just some 50 pts player. Keep trying

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00