Player Discussion Rickard Rakell

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
That's not any sort of comp for Lindholm whatsoever.

Oh, really. None whatsoever?

They are both C/F's drafted in the first round with similar production numbers, only Strome has 24 more games played (due to him having an extra year in the league) scratch that.

"None whatsoever" would be comparing a goalie to Rakell.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Ryan Strome just re-signed with NYI for $5mil/ 2yrs, according to McKenzie. So a 2.5mil cap hit.

This is a real valid comp for Lindholm. If anything Rakell doesn't deserve as much.

Your first statement.

That's not any sort of comp for Lindholm whatsoever.

Rebuttal.

They are both C/F's drafted in the first round with similar production numbers, only Strome has 24 more games played due to him having an extra year in the league.

You said originally that Strome's contract was a "real valid comp for Lindholm." That couldn't be further from the truth; comparing Strome and Lindholm is comparing apples to oranges.

You then go on to explain how Strome's contract is a comparable for Rakell. This I agree with, although Rakell's cap hit should come in a touch lower in my opinion.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
Your first statement.

Rebuttal.

You said originally that Strome's contract was a "real valid comp for Lindholm." That couldn't be further from the truth; comparing Strome and Lindholm is comparing apples to oranges.

You then go on to explain how Strome's contract is a comparable for Rakell. This I agree with, although Rakell's cap hit should come in a touch lower in my opinion.

I'm not understanding. How is comparing those two apples to oranges?

Then you agree with me when I lay it out.

Whether I lay it out or not, the facts are the same, independent of an observer's knowledge.

I also mentioned Rakell's would be lower, if anything.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

They are both C/F's drafted in the first round with similar production numbers, only Strome has 24 more games played (due to him having an extra year in the league) scratch that.

WTF are you talking about? Lindholm is a dman

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I'm not understanding. How is comparing those two apples to oranges?

Then you agree with me when I lay it out.

Whether I lay it out or not, the facts are the same, independent of an observer's knowledge.

I also mentioned Rakell's would be lower, if anything.

What I agree with: Strome's contract is a comparable for Rakell. What I do not agree with: Strome's contract is a comparable for Lindholm. You said both.

The onus is on you to explain how comparing Strome to Lindholm is not comparing apples to oranges. One is a forward, the other a defenseman.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
WTF are you talking about? Lindholm is a dman

What I agree with: Strome's contract is a comparable for Rakell. What I do not agree with: Strome's contract is a comparable for Lindholm. You said both.

The onus is on you to explain how comparing Strome to Lindholm is not comparing apples to oranges. One is a forward, the other a defenseman.

Oh crap, my bad. How I transposed Lindholm's name in there I don't know.

I'm talking about Rakell vs Strome here, not Lindholm at all.

I'm going to the hospital now.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Oh crap, my bad. How I transposed Lindholm's name in there I don't know.

I'm talking about Rakell vs Strome here, not Lindholm at all.

I'm going to the hospital now.

Haha now we're on the same page. I think Rakell and Strome are decent comparables, if guys like Strome and Miller are signing deals in the 2 year 2.5-2.75 range I think that bodes well for getting Rakell on a similar or lesser pact.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Strome signed for 2x2.5, Jaden Schwartz signed for 2x2.35 and both had a 50 point season under their belt. Realistically anything between 2-2.5 should be doable for Rakell.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Toffoli is another comparable. Slightly better than Rakell too. Jenner is another.

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article23583384.ab

google translation (edited a few lines):

Contract not agreed - can leave the NHL
The Swedish success ready to play - in Russia

Photo: TT
He got his big break last season.
Now Rickard Rakell could leave the NHL.
According to Expressen, the negotiations with the Anaheim Ducks ashore and 23-year-old is now close to playing in the KHL.
Rickard Rakell recorded 43 points (20 + 23) last season.
He impressed so much that Richard Grönborg called him into the Swedish World Cup squad as replacement for injured Alexander Steen.
But Sollentuna son never got the chance to prove himself.
He suffered complications from a previous appendectomy and was forced to throw in the towel at the last moment.
- I have fainted and vomited in pain. And this sucks so damn hard, said Rakell Sportbladet.

"Nothing happens"
Now it's a race against time to be ready to play for Anaheim Ducks in the NHL premiere, on 13 October.
But the question is if he even will belong to the team then.
Rakell has played out his rookie contract and is nowadays known as a "restricted free agent". He has not yet agreed to a contract with Anaheim - and, according to Expressen, he is now close to signing for the Russian KHL team Sibir Novosibirsk.
- Yes, right now it's quiet. Nothing happens, says Rakells agent Peter Wallen Expressen about contract negotiations with Anaheim.
Can write clause
According to the newspaper's information, Rakell would be able to start the season in the KHL and immediately change to the Anaheim Ducks later in the fall / winter if they agree on a new contract.

Last edited:

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Wasn't there an idea that BM is waiting till the season starts so that he can LTIR thompson and fit both Hampus and Rakell into the 8 million we'd then have?

I am not 100% knowledgeable about how signings and LTIR work with the cap.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wonder if he had to pay the cost for his own surgery, since he's not under contract right now.

Not saying it to be snarky, just wondering how that type of situation is handled by the CBA.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Wasn't there an idea that BM is waiting till the season starts so that he can LTIR thompson and fit both Hampus and Rakell into the 8 million we'd then have?

I am not 100% knowledgeable about how signings and LTIR work with the cap.

Teams can go over the cap in the offseason by 10 percent.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I like how that article/interview states that Rakell's hypothetical KHL contract would have an NHL-clause in it, allowing him to come back to Anaheim immediately after an NHL contract has been signed. It's like saying: "If you don't give me what I want, I'll go to Russia........but I'll be back if you need me". It really tells you everything you need to know about this debacle.

I understand that Rakell and his agent want to negotiate the best deal for him, but this wasn't smart on their part. They tried to use the Nichushkin saga as a ruse to negotiate a better deal, but it's pointless when the plan was executed this poorly.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Well, in the original article at Expressen
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/rakell-kan-lamna-nhl--for-spel-i-ryska-khl/

It says: According to information Expressen got, the Russian KHL club HC Sibir Novosibirsk has shown interest in having Rakell playing there....

Checking their roster, I don't find any connections. They have two players from Finland, no Swedish players or trainers or coaches. Of course that doesn't stop them from being interested, but I don't see Rakell being interested in playing there. Especially now when he is trying to move in with his girlfriend.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC_Sibir_Novosibirsk

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Does there need to be a connection? Doesn't the KHL draft players, and consider their rights owned? If so, they may just hold his rights, which means that their desire to sign him isn't particularly significant.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
At worst this is a bargaining tactic by his agent. I don't believe for a minute that he's ready to head off to the KHL.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Does there need to be a connection? Doesn't the KHL draft players, and consider their rights owned? If so, they may just hold his rights, which means that their desire to sign him isn't particularly significant.

Rakell was KHL-drafted by Sibir Novosibirsk in 2012, 42nd overall. They most likely still own his rights, so naturally they show "interest" to Rakell in the media. They're either hoping for Rakell to actually go play there, or that someone else comes along and buys those rights from them. Either way, they get something for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad