Player Discussion Rickard Rakell

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Currently
61 games
17 goals (2nd most on the team)
19 assists (tied for 5th most on the team but 6th in APG)
36 points (5th most on the team)
+3
16:02 per game average (5th most among forwards on the team)
44.7 faceoffs win %

His ELC is up at the end of this year.

I have been happy with his play this season he has taken a big step forward. Hopefully he produces decently in the playoffs. Can't wait for him to be re-signed and am wondering what it will be for.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
In retrospect, it's a shame that all he had to work with in that Chicago series was Sekac and Etem.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
He has a chance to be close to Perry's production assist wise and hopefully he gets to 20+ goals. He's a great player, no need to compare him to elite Hart trophy type guys.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Still a bit worried about his line defensively, but man has he taken a step this year. Very impressive.

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Knew he would turn into a top6 player after seeing him in the juniors with the team that won the tournament. Guy has special hands and a heavy body.

Quite funny that Rakell never has been ranked above any of these in our annual prospect pool ranking:
- Emerson Etem
- Justin Schultz
- Kyle Palmieri
- Devante Smith-Pelly

Holland was ranked above many years as well, and Karlsson surpassed him in 2014.

mytduxfan*

Piss poor on the dot for a center thou

Yeah, he needs to work on that or BM needs to bring in a C and move Rakell back to LW. Having said that, he was 50% on the dot in the LA game.

I don't think he's nearly the player they are. Love his skill and development but he's not on their level.

Agreed. Rakell isn't at that level.

Knew he would turn into a top6 player after seeing him in the juniors with the team that won the tournament. Guy has special hands and a heavy body.

Quite funny that Rakell never has been ranked above any of these in our annual prospect pool ranking:
- Emerson Etem
- Justin Schultz
- Kyle Palmieri
- Devante Smith-Pelly

Holland was ranked above many years as well, and Karlsson surpassed him in 2014.

Tbh, I'd probably still have Palms ahead of him right now based on what he's shown this season (I know he's significantly older). Rakell is great, but I don't see him being anything more than a solid 2nd line forward. However, yeah, the rest are pure garbage compared with Rakell right now.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Getzlaf: 77 games 24 goals, 58 assists for 82 points
Perry: 70 games 29 goals, 25 assists for 54 points

Well, never mind then!

But that was in the midst on the run and gun era, right? The year when like 500 players were ppg?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Daumn.

The twins raised their total points with like 25 and 35 between 2006-2007 to 2007-2008.

That's what I call development!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well, never mind then!

But that was in the midst on the run and gun era, right? The year when like 500 players were ppg?

2005-06 and 2006-07 were the really high scoring years (6.05 in 2005-06 and 5.76 GPG in 2006-07). In 2007-08 the average GPG was 5.43 which isn't a huge amount higher than the current year where it is 5.30.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

- Emerson Etem
- Justin Schultz
- Kyle Palmieri
- Devante Smith-Pelly

North American players are overrated ;)

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I have to say, I never expected this kind of goal scoring with Rakell. EVen if he succeeded in my wildest dreams, he was more of a hold the puck and distribute kind of guy.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I love where Rakell is at in his development. He has very nice scoring forward potential and plays an exciting brand of hockey.

but I have a question about Rakell.

Do you guys remember his first few post draft years? All the praise on his two way game. Was this because he was actually a great two way player or because everyone just saw that he was a first round pick that was barely ppg on a good team in the ohl and assumed that this meant he must be good defensively? I'm asking this because at the nhl level he seems like a fairly one way player and it just seems strange looking at his old scouting report and seeing a different player. Maybe as he gets stronger his defence will catch up. Just looking for your opinions on him

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
He has what some other forwards in our organization have lacked--pure skill. He can shoot the puck like the rest of them, but he has an incredible amount of deception and creativity in his game that past forward prospects did not have in their game (DSP, Palmieri, Holland, Etem). This keeps defenders guessing at which direction he will go with the puck even if he doesn't end up breaking it fully into the zone. His physicality and board work has really impressed me as well for being a lankier player.

He doesn't have that game-breaking ability I think like Perry or Getz have, but that's why they're getting paid the big bucks. Rakell is a solid complimentary forward that could potentially anchor a line down the road. He's having a breakout year playing some really exciting hockey and doesn't look out of place whatsoever in the top6. This is his 2nd full year of NHL hockey and I think he will continue to get better and impress more as time tells.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

- Emerson Etem
- Justin Schultz
- Kyle Palmieri
- Devante Smith-Pelly

Why is it funny that Palmieri was ranked above him?

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
His fight against Versteeg is a good example of how much character this team has built. For Rakell to take it upon himself to stick up for a much bigger, older, and experienced Perry says a ton about how unselfish the players have become. The fact that he broke Versteeg's nose and sent him to the showers definitely sparked everyone on that bench, and probably led to some good post game banter in the locker room. Good to see that kind of heart that seemed to be absent during the first three months of the season. Definite steal in that draft.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I have to say, I never expected this kind of goal scoring with Rakell. EVen if he succeeded in my wildest dreams, he was more of a hold the puck and distribute kind of guy.

His shot improved leaps and bounds over the offseason. I think that and the fact he's stronger along the boards are the two biggest reasons he's breaking out.

mytduxfan*

His shot improved leaps and bounds over the offseason. I think that and the fact he's stronger along the boards are the two biggest reasons he's breaking out.

Agreed. He's also got sick hands. Not sure whether that improved recently. Just something I noticed.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Agreed. He's also got sick hands. Not sure whether that improved recently. Just something I noticed.

His hands have always been sick. It's probably just more evident now he has the puck a whole lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad