Rick Tocchet Rope Thread

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hmmm...

So, if we win our next five games in a row, I'll have been dead-on for my first 41 prediction. :) C'mon boys!!! Haha

EDIT: I don't math. Even with the 5 game win streak we'd be 12-24-5 rather than my 13-24-4 prediction. I'd be off by 1 point. Still, I'll take it!
I'll take the under's on your 84 point prediction even if they win 5 straight:)

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
This is going to come out as a snarky question and I honestly don't mean it that way. But what in Tocchet's career as a coach leads you to believe he is the right guy for the Coyotes?

I just believe he is.

We've got a young group of kids who need to learn how to become NHL players and I believe Tocchet can help them in that part of the development process.

Now let me ask you question ... would Todd Nelson, Sheldon Keefe, Dallas Eakins or dare I say it, Dave Tippett be doing any better right now?

Give the staff a chance. If they don't improve after by year 3.5, you can fire them

Reactions: kbay

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I just believe he is.

We've got a young group of kids who need to learn how to become NHL players and I believe Tocchet can help them in that part of the development process.

Now let me ask you question ... would Todd Nelson, Sheldon Keefe, Dallas Eakins or dare I say it, Dave Tippett be doing any better right now?

Give the staff a chance. If they don't improve after by year 3.5, you can fire them

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't know if Nelson/Keefe/Eakins would have done much better but I suspect they would, how could they not? Tip, are you serious, this team would be way better with Tip. We have way more talent and are on pace for 45 points versus the 70 points last year. A cataclysmic 25 point drop! The Tocc to Tip switch is nothing short of a major disaster. Name one regular player from last years team having a better year this year?

We will likely set the record for this century and have under 48 points at the end of the season, beating Colorado from last year. We could be closer to 40 points at seasons end. We are 14 points out of second to last in points in the conference.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
RT did'nt cause this team to melt down after those fights. Tonight's game appeared boringly responsible, with some nice goal tending, right up to the fight and subsequent PP's.

Word from an insider is players aren't putting in extra work. Once the whistle blows, they are homeward bound. I believe time and roster changes (if he is allowed the courtesy) will prove RT to be a better coach than this board believes.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't know if Nelson/Keefe/Eakins would have done much better but I suspect they would, how could they not? Tip, are you serious, this team would be way better with Tip. We have way more talent and are on pace for 45 points versus the 70 points last year.
I wouldn't say "way better" with Tip. The main difference would be a redundant defensive gameplan that would have eked out maybe 5-10 more tie to losses. Keller wouldn't have been played half as much as he has this season, Duclair's treatment would have been about the same (if not sent to the minors), Martinook - Richardson - whoever would be our #2 line, Domi, Dvorak, Fischer would be playing 3rd/4th line minutes, and probably a few other things. Of course, if Tipp had stayed, we probably wouldn't have Stepan or Raanta (which may not necessarily be a bad thing), Crouse would have been up all season, and we'd have about 3 additional vets, so it might be better in that way. Still, I doubt we'd be "way " better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
RT did'nt cause this team to melt down after those fights. Tonight's game appeared boringly responsible, with some nice goal tending, right up to the fight and subsequent PP's.

Word from an insider is players aren't putting in extra work. Once the whistle blows, they are homeward bound. I believe time and roster changes (if he is allowed the courtesy) will prove RT to be a better coach than this board believes.

Word from an insider? You are just trying to start another rumor.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I wouldn't say "way better" with Tip. The main difference would be a redundant defensive gameplan that would have eked out maybe 5-10 more tie to losses. Keller wouldn't have been played half as much as he has this season, Duclair's treatment would have been about the same (if not sent to the minors), Martinook - Richardson - whoever would be our #2 line, Domi, Dvorak, Fischer would be playing 3rd/4th line minutes, and probably a few other things. Of course, if Tipp had stayed, we probably wouldn't have Stepan or Raanta (which may not necessarily be a bad thing), Crouse would have been up all season, and we'd have about 3 additional vets, so it might be better in that way. Still, I doubt we'd be "way " better.
10 more points would be 50% better, and we would be way better then that with this roster and Tip. I could care less about who plays what on which line. I don't think the minutes distribution would be radically different either. We were never close to this kind of a train wreck and we have way more talent now too. It's baffling really.

Reactions: Jakey53

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I had very little faith in the collection of players that played for Tippett. but he got the most out of them.

Now we have the youngest roster in the NHL with some real skilled forwards. This team reminds me of what the St. Louis Blues currently are. Lots of good players no real superstar on the forward lines.
Our young forwards will mature over the next couple of years and learn to play the game better. They are all offensive players who dominated in juniors and never really had to play a complete game. As their offensive production goes up our wins will go up.
If we do this right and stick with these kids we will have a very good team in 2-3 years. For those who thought we would compete for the playoffs I just laugh.
I predicted the Yotes finish last overall this year. And would be more entertaining to watch. I watch virtually every game now. I'm going to enjoy the growth. If we could manage to snag that first pick overall (now it's even harder to win the lottery) and get Dahlin we will move into even better position.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't know if Nelson/Keefe/Eakins would have done much better but I suspect they would, how could they not? Tip, are you serious, this team would be way better with Tip. We have way more talent and are on pace for 45 points versus the 70 points last year. A cataclysmic 25 point drop! The Tocc to Tip switch is nothing short of a major disaster. Name one regular player from last years team having a better year this year?

We will likely set the record for this century and have under 48 points at the end of the season, beating Colorado from last year. We could be closer to 40 points at seasons end. We are 14 points out of second to last in points in the conference.

Smith

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Tippett ship has sailed. It doesn't matter if he would have done better than Tocchet this year.

Tocchet isn't doing well enough to keep his job. He has a lot of talent on this team and can't get the players to translate their talent into on ice performance. Players can have all the players only meetings their hearts desire, but coaching matters on and off the ice. Tocchet is a poor coach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I had very little faith in the collection of players that played for Tippett. but he got the most out of them.

Now we have the youngest roster in the NHL with some real skilled forwards. This team reminds me of what the St. Louis Blues currently are. Lots of good players no real superstar on the forward lines.
Our young forwards will mature over the next couple of years and learn to play the game better. They are all offensive players who dominated in juniors and never really had to play a complete game. As their offensive production goes up our wins will go up.
If we do this right and stick with these kids we will have a very good team in 2-3 years. For those who thought we would compete for the playoffs I just laugh.
I predicted the Yotes finish last overall this year. And would be more entertaining to watch. I watch virtually every game now. I'm going to enjoy the growth. If we could manage to snag that first pick overall (now it's even harder to win the lottery) and get Dahlin we will move into even better position.

Finish last this year? Give me a break. This is our third year of the rebuild and we should have been in the hunt for a playoff position. I have no idea how you can think this is entertaining to watch, it's downright pathetic. As of now, the kids have not progressed like we all thought they would, hell, the whole team had regressed to the point of embarrassment. Blaming the coach for this mess is a cop out, but he has to take much of the blame as do the ownership and management.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I just believe he is.

I would pretty confidently say that a Nelson coached team would be doing a lot better right now. He’s great with young players. Eakins would be finding a way to do worse, and I can’t speak for Keefe.

I hated the hiring in the summer, and I hate it more now. The defense is too good to have this bad of team, and there’s tons of talent up front. Playoffs might be a stretch, but this is just unacceptable. If Tocchet can’t utilize what’s at his disposal, someone else needs to be brought in.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

As long as we don't destroy the culture and attitude of every young player on this train wreck. How could you have predicted us to be last with vegas and Vancouver's aged out roster? Being last with 75 points is way different then being last with 45 points.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
While I do believe he hasn't been great this year, I think he needs to surround himself with better assistants so they can teach him the ropes. Lets be real, while coaching hasn't been spectacular, there aren't much pieces on the table to complete the puzzle either.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
While I do believe he hasn't been great this year, I think he needs to surround himself with better assistants so they can teach him the ropes. Lets be real, while coaching hasn't been spectacular, there aren't much pieces on the table to complete the puzzle either.
It is hard to not give Tocchet credit for getting this collection of third and fourth liners and AHL tweeners into playoff contention.

I worry about the PP and I worry that Keller has regressed while neither Strome nor Domi could fit in Tocchets system.

Reactions: _Del_

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad