Rick Tocchet Rope Thread

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So, how much more rope does Tocchet get? The Coyotes are almost half way to a season so disgraceful that they're going to lose what few fans they had in the Valley.

Please note: This is not a compare Tippett to Tocchet thread. My friend _Del_ can have his own comparo thread if he wants.

Reactions: Jakey53

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
It's either an extremely short rope, or enough rope to make a noose.. depends on what you want to do with him.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think you have to give him until at least the all star break. As bad as we've been, you can't fire him this early, unless the team completely quits on him. I think it's pretty likely he gets the whole season regardless of what happens though, if only for financial reasons. Even disregarding the financial reasons, it's tough to give up on a coach in his first season.

It's getting very hard to defend him already though. The excuses are running out, and the losses are still piling up.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
So, how much more rope does Tocchet get? The Coyotes are almost half way to a season so disgraceful that they're going to lose what few fans they had in the Valley.

Please note: This is not a compare Tippett to Tocchet thread. My friend _Del_ can have his own comparo thread if he wants.

Oh please! Would you get over yourself already? Tippett is gone and isn't coming back. The team wasn't expected to do well or even close to it at all no matter who's the coach. There's no rope yet as Toccket is a 1st year coach. You'll see changes in the roster 1st before you see Toccket go.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oh please! Would you get over yourself already? Tippett is gone and isn't coming back. The team wasn't expected to do well or even close to it at all no matter who's the coach. There's no rope yet as Toccket is a 1st year coach. You'll see changes in the roster 1st before you see Toccket go.
I've followed this team through a multitude of coaches. Few have been so inept. As to your idiot argument about Tippett, it doesn't matter who is gone. Only rarely do coaches return to former teams, and I wouldn't want it let alone count on it in this case. As to your more rational argument about expectations, it's not that the Coyotes are having yet another losing season, it's how they're losing. I've seen more coachable mistakes on this team than ever before and it's not improving. These coachable mistakes are killing the team. I've seen this team just flat out give up on plays, give up on games. That's on the coach as well. Evaluating the effect of coaching on this team I judge Tocchet falling way short of acceptable. And that's what we do on these board, right? We judge.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He still hasn't gotten a fully healthy roster on a team that had zero depth to begin with.

I don't like using injuries as an excuse. Only Hammer is missing now and we still can't win. Why haven't the kids progressed like we all thought they would? We are a very soft team besides Schenn. You need more than one player that can hit and keep the other team honest.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree, you'll see roster changes first, but only because Tocc's contract will cloud managements objectivity. What was the team expected to do exactly? 70 points last year and we have a much better roster now. I think it was reasonable to expect an improvement in points, maybe not 90+ and playoffs but maybe high 70's to low 80's point wise. We are on pace for 45 points. We all, reasonably expected, the team to be way better then it is today, and some of that, is on the coach. I actually think most of it at this point.

The bad goal tending argument early in the year, new players, new coach and new system is an excuse, one that Vegas could use with their 5 goal tenders this year, new system, new coach, all new players. Yet they are succeeding and we are failing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

What the hell are you talking about? Many thought this team would be a bubble team, which it should be, and some even thought playoffs. We are in year three of the rebuild and we should be much better than last year and much better than we are showing. This team has underachieved big time this year, and that there is no debate, but who is to blame is the 64 thousand dollar question. We as fans have no inside info so all we can do is speculate, but coaching is one reason we are showing so bad, but by no means is it the only reason.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I don't think Tocchet is fire this season. The avalanche didn't let their coach go after a disaster and are playing much better

Reactions: kbay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think Tocchet is fire this season. The avalanche didn't let their coach go after a disaster and are playing much better

Yet, they are still out of the playoff picture. With their talent they should be doing better, but it is damn hard to win in the NHL with the parity we have. Look at Edmonton, Minnesota, Anaheim. Even Pittsburgh would be out of the playoffs if it started tomorrow, the defending champs.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What the hell are you talking about? Many thought this team would be a bubble team, which it should be, and some even thought playoffs. We are in year three of the rebuild and we should be much better than last year and much better than we are showing. This team has underachieved big time this year, and that there is no debate, but who is to blame is the 64 thousand dollar question. We as fans have no inside info so all we can do is speculate, but coaching is one reason we are showing so bad, but by no means is it the only reason.

Maybe that’s the problem. Too many people here had their expectations set too high.

:dunno:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Did anyone have their expectations this low?

I said mid-high 70's.

Here are the two prediction threads.
Pre- Demers trade: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/how-will-we-do-with-no-further-major-moves.2378277/
Post-Demers trade: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-2017-2018-arizona-coyotes-prediction-thread.2389377/

If you read through the threads there are a lot of regulars who didn't offer up a prediction, probably because it was hard to say ;)

Domi and Stepan being unable to score is killing this team post-Domingue. There are lots of other issues but two top 6 guys have been either so snake bitten or so lackadaisical that the performances by certain players like Fischer, Keller, Duclair , and to a lesser extent Perlini overshooting their targets is being nullified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad