Rick Tocchet Rope Thread

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He’s built a helluva culture. I love it.

Trotz should win but I think Tocchet needs to be a nominee. I think it’s laughable that people are mentioning Cooper.

Reactions: kbay

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I swear there was a similar thread from *this* season which would be a more amusing bump.

This one is mostly post-Domingue disaster wallowing :laugh:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Depends on your brand of humor.

raw

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agreed, T
1. Trotz
2. Cooper
3. Tocc
Tocc won't win it. The Islanders being on the east coast, having a great year, and losing Taveras means Trotz will get it. If not Cooper and the TB machine will win it.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What has Cooper done besides coach a juggernaut? What about guys like Berube, Julien, BrindAmour, not to mention Tocchet and Trotz.

Reactions: Lilhoody

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What has Cooper done besides coach a juggernaut? What about guys like Berube, Julien, BrindAmour, not to mention Tocchet and Trotz.
it's not easy coaching a team with talent to win. Cooper deserves his props and he's no one year wonder.

Where are all the clowns who blamed RT for the mess Chyka put him into. RT has created the team now in his mold not Chyka's. The start of the season was Chyka's style hockey. All perimeter figure skaters with lot of shots on net and nothing to show for it.
Now RT has them playing chew your ankles off in the corner to get the puck hockey. I love it. We still lack the talent in the organization to be a premium team but RT is doing what Tippett did with small market teams.

Reactions: MIG

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It's hilarious that we have reverted to a Tipp style of play and that we are seeing success again. It is still a little less trappy and more exciting but that could very well be because we have more young offensive talent than those Tippett teams.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Where are all the clowns who blamed RT for the mess Chyka put him into. RT has created the team now in his mold not Chyka's. The start of the season was Chyka's style hockey. All perimeter figure skaters with lot of shots on net and nothing to show for it.

Tocchet started his tenure playing Penguins hockey. When he saw it didn't work, he altered his game plan, and the players started buying in.

Blaming the style of play on Chayka is freaking ridiculous.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Fastest team to 50 wins in NHL history, has superstars playing unselfishly/within the system and has developed non-first round draft choices or FA signees (Kucherov, Point, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn, Cirelli, etc) into solid NHL players and in some cases superstars. Sure Yzerman deserves some of the credit, but so does Cooper and staff.

Any other season, Cooper probably wins it.....and he still might this year.

Last edited:

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It's hilarious that we have reverted to a Tipp style of play and that we are seeing success again. It is still a little less trappy and more exciting but that could very well be because we have more young offensive talent than those Tippett teams.

The system they are running is completely different than Tippett. Tippett teams always brought the puck back, so we could set up...we didn't have quick strikes and Tippett would be furious over the # of turnovers we have when we try to move the puck up the ice right away on a give away or turnover. Tippett was slow methodical hockey, it is no where near what the boys are running now.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
May have been too extreme with aligning RT's system to Tippett's but as of recently they have been playing much more conservative, more grinding and dump ins rather than always trying to force a transition through the middle. The quick up ice passes are still there, but there is way less cherry picking by the forwards in order to do so. The defensive scheme seems much tighter to the net, where earlier was floatier in order for quick transitions.

Reactions: ctwin22

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
May have been too extreme with aligning RT's system to Tippett's but as of recently they have been playing much more conservative, more grinding and dump ins rather than always trying to force a transition through the middle. The quick up ice passes are still there, but there is way less cherry picking by the forwards in order to do so. The defensive scheme seems much tighter to the net, where earlier was floatier in order for quick transitions.

I agree w/this!

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Tocchet started his tenure playing Penguins hockey. When he saw it didn't work, he altered his game plan, and the players started buying in.

Blaming the style of play on Chayka is freaking ridiculous.
Are you kidding?

Look at the players Chyka loves. All huge Vag types who don't like the corners . I'm sure they tried it his way and when they saw it wasn't working RT made his own adjustments.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The system they are running is completely different than Tippett. Tippett teams always brought the puck back, so we could set up...we didn't have quick strikes and Tippett would be furious over the # of turnovers we have when we try to move the puck up the ice right away on a give away or turnover. Tippett was slow methodical hockey, it is no where near what the boys are running now.
In the beginning RT did not have the boys bringing the puck back and D to D passes were seemingly forbidden - we see both of that now, you must not be paying attention because the puck is often brought back to the D and not just for line changes. perhaps less than it was under DT, but under DT stretch passes were used all the time - to a fault imo. DT hockey was more structured, on that I can agree, but there are most likely more similarities than differences at this point. The interesting thing is that it's the similarities that have accounted for the turn around. I wanted to post basically what the op posted some time back, but decided not to stir the shit. :)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I've come around about Tocchet as well. My criticism from last year that Tocchet wouldn't adapt his system to his players no longer applies. He has adapted his system this year. As for the Jack Adams, lets recall what happens to the coaches who win this award.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
In the beginning RT did not have the boys bringing the puck back and D to D passes were seemingly forbidden - we see both of that now, you must not be paying attention because the puck is often brought back to the D and not just for line changes. perhaps less than it was under DT, but under DT stretch passes were used all the time - to a fault imo. DT hockey was more structured, on that I can agree, but there are most likely more similarities than differences at this point. The interesting thing is that it's the similarities that have accounted for the turn around. I wanted to post basically what the op posted some time back, but decided not to stir the ****. :)
Agreed, the systems and style of play are way more similar then different. We are winning with a low GAA and solid team D. We have more speed in the line up, that is the biggest change.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
1. Trotz
2. Cooper
3. Tocc
Trots is the easy pick.

Cooper will get consideration because of a (potetially) record setting year.

Tocchet will be in a group with Peters (flames) and BrindAmour (canes) .

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've come around about Tocchet as well. My criticism from last year that Tocchet wouldn't adapt his system to his players no longer applies. He has adapted his system this year. As for the Jack Adams, lets recall what happens to the coaches who win this award.
Chayka has also "adapted" the players a little too...:) haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->