Player Discussion Rick Nash VI

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah we should've kept proven winners and not-losers like Dubinsky. He'd score half Nash's goals, maybe, but he'd at least punch people.

shipping away both Dubi and Arte as they entered their prime, damaged our depth and also took away from the team's 'personality' - yeah Arte was sorta quiet, but every now and then - like the post-goal sniper pose that raised a little hell

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
i would like to see a 3rd line of rick nash, kevin hayes and oscar lindberg.

give nash lots of pk time. take him off the 2 scoring lines and let him do "stuff".

push stalberg down to line 4- where he belongs and drop one of glass or paille.

thats a start anyway.

Yeah, if Nash does come back he should be on the 3rd line but having said that, Gorton should look to trade Nash before the deadline. Perhaps having him on 3LW might be a bit much with a $7.3m price tag but if he's on the roster he should be dropped down since we all know what he'll bring come the playoffs.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Yeah, if Nash does come back he should be on the 3rd line but having said that, Gorton should look to trade Nash before the deadline. Perhaps having him on 3LW might be a bit much with a $7.3m price tag but if he's on the roster he should be dropped down since we all know what he'll bring come the playoffs.

He should be dropped down to the third line meanwhile he's 4th on the team in PO p/60 since coming here. Behind Brass, Kreider, and Miller.

k

shipping away both Dubi and Arte as they entered their prime, damaged our depth and also took away from the team's 'personality' - yeah Arte was sorta quiet, but every now and then - like the post-goal sniper pose that raised a little hell

It damaged the team's depth which the Rangers chose not to replenish. They didn't lose two top 6 centers. They lost two middle 6 players that weren't a hassle to replace. How is it Nash's fault?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Rick Nash went from bonafide top 6 40 goal scorer to 3rd liner in a matter of one season.

I don't know whether I love this place or hate it :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He should be dropped down to the third line meanwhile he's 4th on the team in PO p/60 since coming here. Behind Brass, Kreider, and Miller.

k

It damaged the team's depth which the Rangers chose not to replenish. They didn't lose two top 6 centers. They lost two middle 6 players that weren't a hassle to replace. How is it Nash's fault?

I don't see how Fast in a top-6 role is an improvement over Nash?

Either run Miller-Brassard-Zucc and Kreider-Stepan-Nash or just the Miller-Brassard-Nash and Kreider-Stepan-Zucc lines. Both are good top-6 options.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think its hard to say for sure who the Rangers best forward has been the last 3 years. You could make a case for Nash, Brass, Zooks, and even Stepan at times.

Zooks is our leading scorer in 2015-16 followed closely by Brass
Nash was our leading scorer in 2014-15
Zooks was our leading scorer in 2013-14

Brass is often our leading playoff scorer.
Stepan has had some strong seasons as well.
JT probably has been our best for the last month.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I think its hard to say for sure who the Rangers best forward has been the last 3 years. You could make a case for Nash, Brass, Zooks, and even Stepan at times.

Zooks is our leading scorer in 2015-16 followed closely by Brass
Nash was our leading scorer in 2014-15
Zooks was our leading scorer in 2013-14

Brass is often our leading playoff scorer.
Stepan has had some strong seasons as well.
JT probably has been our best for the last month.

If I'm relying on players to be clutch, it's Brass and Zucc, no contest. If Miller continues his excellent play, he might join that list.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Did you really mean #13? Or did you mean #16?

yes i meant 16 not 13

big fingers

and yes, they are all better than TODAYS rick nash

ill take zuc brass and miller right now over todays rick nash

go ahead and snicker, thats fine. keep living is the past. look at the numbers and tell me rick nash is our best forward today.

and then go directly back to sticking your head in the sand.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
yes i meant 16 not 13

big fingers

go ahead and snicker, thats fine. keep living is the past. look at the numbers and tell me rick nash is our best forward today.

Weird that you tell us this but then dismiss those numbers as "things and stuff".

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Weird that you tell us this but then dismiss those numbers as "things and stuff".

he has numbers.

those numbers are bad.

and I'm talking todays rick nash cuz the yesterdays rick nash, although much better, probably doesnt help us win games today.

124th in goals scored
102nd assists
122nd points
337th shooting %

he's earned those numbers. and really, go back to last year this time. he slipped alot from then till now.

this is 7.8 million worth of production ?

and so then we are told we must accept :

his assists
his playmaking
his pk'ing.
his trying hard
his unluckiness
and his "we gotta keep him cuz how we gonna replace his stuff and things" stuff.

basically he's a bigger more skilled dom moore.

i remember things went south fast with chris "capt. quaalude" drury. and msl. when they were done, they were done. the play slipped, production ceased, then the realization that they were done set in.

lets not wait too long on nash.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think they should look to unload him at the draft solely for cap reasons and a depth infusion. I'd also do the same with Staal.

Then take some of those assets and make a plunge... or even better just sign stamkos.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
When Nash missed 17 games in 13/14 with his concussion the team went 9-8-0 while scoring 36 goals and being shutout 4 times
In the 12 games Nash how now missed with with the bone bruise the team has gone 8-3-1 while scoring 34 goals and being shutout once.

Small sample size, but it does add to the perception that maybe Nash isn't as big a requirement now as he was in season passed.
Personally i think Nash is here until the end of his contract (and that is when the front office will 'close the window'), but i'd be interested to know what offers are out there for him at the draft

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
When Nash missed 17 games in 13/14 with his concussion the team went 9-8-0 while scoring 36 goals and being shutout 4 times
In the 12 games Nash how now missed with with the bone bruise the team has gone 8-3-1 while scoring 34 goals and being shutout once.

Small sample size, but it does add to the perception that maybe Nash isn't as big a requirement now as he was in season passed.
Personally i think Nash is here until the end of his contract (and that is when the front office will 'close the window'), but i'd be interested to know what offers are out there for him at the draft

So assuming your numbers are correct:

Without Nash the Rangers have scored 2.41 goals/game.

With Nash the Rangers have scored 2.77 goals/game (in those two seasons mentioned).

(2.83 in both scenarios for this year only)

So maybe the difference is in the games he hasn't played the goalies have just played better? Because you certainly can't use those numbers to say we've performed better offensively without him than with him.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
So assuming your numbers are correct:

Without Nash the Rangers have scored 2.41 goals/game.

With Nash the Rangers have scored 2.77 goals/game (in those two seasons mentioned).

(2.83 in both scenarios for this year only)

So maybe the difference is in the games he hasn't played the goalies have just played better? Because you certainly can't use those numbers to say we've performed better offensively without him than with him.

That's not what i was saying. Simply pointing out that maybe (again, very limited sample size) Nash is not the catalyst for our offense that he once was.
It seems silly to think we'd be better offensivly without one of our better forwards, but maybe we wouldn't be too bad without him or if we turned him into other assets...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
yes i meant 16 not 13

big fingers

Weird that you would say the bold part in response to my question. I'm just going to assume you meant it for other people in this thread instead of me.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
he has numbers.

those numbers are bad.

and I'm talking todays rick nash cuz the yesterdays rick nash, although much better, probably doesnt help us win games today.

124th in goals scored
102nd assists
122nd points
337th shooting %

he's earned those numbers. and really, go back to last year this time. he slipped alot from then till now.

this is 7.8 million worth of production ?

and so then we are told we must accept :

his assists
his playmaking
his pk'ing.
his trying hard
his unluckiness
and his "we gotta keep him cuz how we gonna replace his stuff and things" stuff.

basically he's a bigger more skilled dom moore.

i remember things went south fast with chris "capt. quaalude" drury. and msl. when they were done, they were done. the play slipped, production ceased, then the realization that they were done set in.

lets not wait too long on nash.

Calling him a bigger skilled Dom is such nonsense. It's really a moronic thing to say. So a guy who's top 30 in the league in P/60, who's on pace for around 60 points in a bad season is just a bigger more skilled Dom.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Rick Nash went from bonafide top 6 40 goal scorer to 3rd liner in a matter of one season.

You hate the fact that you love it?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I would not agree that he is a 3rd line player. But his play was more indicative of a good 2nd line player. Given his age, I think that is exactly where he was on his way to.

Not horrible, but certainly not what the Rangers are currently constructed for him to be.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Agreed. I don't know how we can free up money to keep yandle but if it came down to shipping Nash out or keeping yandle it's a no brainer. We can survive without Nash but not without the defensive depth that yandle provides. Just look what he's done since mcdonaghs been out.
I don't see how Gorton can pull off magic and get rid of staal and/or girardi and the likes of glass. Money has to freed up somewhere

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. I don't know how we can free up money to keep yandle but if it came down to shipping Nash out or keeping yandle it's a no brainer. We can survive without Nash but not without the defensive depth that yandle provides. Just look what he's done since mcdonaghs been out.
I don't see how Gorton can pull off magic and get rid of staal and/or girardi and the likes of glass. Money has to freed up somewhere
The math still does not work. For Yandle to be kept and the RFA forwards resigned, two contracts need to be moved and NO salary can come back. So Nash, Girardi, Staal...two of them need to go and no cash can come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad