Player Discussion Rick Nash VI

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Nash is NOT a cap dump.

If u think otherwise then I don't know what to tell u.

Nash being traded (w/salary retained) will occur because he is (w salary retention) one of the ways we can RECOUP assets. Not because we want to resign Kreider et all. If Nash were a cap dump we would trade him without salary retention for whatever. Most teams would want us to take a bad contract back... Again, that WOULDNT be a cap dump right? That, along with his 12 team list would severely limit where he goes and what we get back.
You're free to believe that. Most others will agree Nash is in fact in part a cap casualty because of Staal and Girardi. It's not just about resigning a few RFA's, it's about possibly being able to sign Yandle or fit another D in. He is also absolutely someone to RECOUP assets with at the same time. You do realize moving him now would accomplish both of those goals!?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
weve got a better chance of winning more games and being a better team by moving nash and his 8 mil per for 2 more and replacing that with cap space, 1 roster player and a draft pick.

more of the same rick nash vs. the return

1. cap room to pay players who are younger and have more upside.

2. a younger, more affordable roster player who adds some youth and speed.

3. an important draft pick to replace those that weve either squandered or move in other deals.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I could live with Nash a little easier if he was fairly consistent.

But the stretches between explosions keeps increasing and have been increasing for the past season and a half --- since around Feb. 2015.

I think he's better than he showed last season, but this isn't just a sudden drop out of nowhere either.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I could live with Nash a little easier if he was fairly consistent.

But the stretches between explosions keeps increasing and have been increasing for the past season and a half --- since around Feb. 2015.

I think he's better than he showed last season, but this isn't just a sudden drop out of nowhere either.

Even more reason to trade him now. 2 years, salary retained, other teams still hope he can help.

Wait another year and the genie may be out of the bottle.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Even more reason to trade him now. 2 years, salary retained, other teams still hope he can help.

Wait another year and the genie may be out of the bottle.

Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but I don't think the Rangers will have to retain much salary, if any, should they move Nash.

They're going to have to take some salary back, but I don't think they'll be retaining any.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Not a huge Nash fan at this point, but the Rangers will get a solid return if they move him.

Personally, I don't see a return to 35-40 goals.

I don't think 25 is unreasonable, maybe even 30 IF he's in the right situation (aka Kessel in Pittsburgh).

But I also see a player who over the past 18 months has clearly shown the signs of a player who has begun the downside of his peak production and whose injuries have resulted in a style change that's still impactful at times, but not quite as impactful as it once was.

that concussion in the 2013-14 season destroyed him. He used to be such a good player before that.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but I don't think the Rangers will have to retain much salary, if any, should they move Nash.

They're going to have to take some salary back, but I don't think they'll be retaining any.

I think they may retain a good amount actually... so...

YOU'RE CRAZY!!!

J/K

But i think they'll do that to literally MAX out the return. I think (hope) the NYR management are going to be aggressive this offseason in an effort to get Hank a cup in 3 years time.

IF, they retain max (or thereabouts) on Nash, they will expedite the re-tool, trade Klein, Brass, Zucc (or any combination) and light the fire on the rocket.

That's my hope anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad