Rick Nash Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
You need regular season production to even get that far.

Over half the teams in the league make the playoffs. It's not that hard. If you're not going to bother showing up for the playoffs, I don't give a **** what you did during the regular season.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Over half the teams in the league make the playoffs. It's not that hard. If you're not going to bother showing up for the playoffs, I don't give a **** what you did during the regular season.

Without those 9 GWGs there might not be a post season for you to give a **** about

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He was an ass.

Saying it over and over doesn't make it true. Nash's game doesn't translate to the playoffs, where space is harder to find/create. He has to adjust. He looked like a much better player in the Habs and Kings series than he did in the first two. Also he was snakebitten as all hell. The effort was there but you just keep looking at the stat sheet

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Saying it over and over doesn't make it true. Nash's game doesn't translate to the playoffs, where space is harder to find/create. He has to adjust. He looked like a much better player in the Habs and Kings series than he did in the first two. Also he was snakebitten as all hell. The effort was there but you just keep looking at the stat sheet

I didn't know NHL players were paid for effort, silly me I thought results is what matters. What excuse will you use if he flops in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I didn't know NHL players were paid for effort, silly me I thought results is what matters. What excuse will you use if he flops in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season?

Well first he's actually being paid for the regular season. He's not making any more money for the playoffs.

Would you rather Nash have floated and done nothing? If Gaborik was as snakebitten as Nash was, he would've been a compete ghost. How many goal scorers play as complete a game as Nash does. There is value in things other than goals. Nash draws match ups and allows MSL or Zucc to be up against the 3rd pair. Nash plays a 200 foot game, even if he's not scoring he's involved taking shots and backchecking. Nash also creates space for his linemates, it gives Stepan that extra room and time to distribute the puck.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Well first he's actually being paid for the regular season. He's not making any more money for the playoffs.

Would you rather Nash have floated and done nothing? If Gaborik was as snakebitten as Nash was, he would've been a compete ghost. How many goal scorers play as complete a game as Nash does. There is value in things other than goals. Nash draws match ups and allows MSL or Zucc to be up against the 3rd pair. Nash plays a 200 foot game, even if he's not scoring he's involved taking shots and backchecking. Nash also creates space for his linemates, it gives Stepan that extra room and time to distribute the puck.

Nash falls down and gets the puck taken away from him. How does he create space for anyone out there? If Nash didn't play good defense he would have been taken out of the lineup, he didn't really have a choice in the matter. At the end of the day we didn't trade for this guy to do what your applauding him for.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Nash falls down and gets the puck taken away from him. How does he create space for anyone out there? If Nash didn't play good defense he would have been taken out of the lineup, he didn't really have a choice in the matter. At the end of the day we didn't trade for this guy to do what your applauding him for.

He pulls a defender and a forward very often when carrying the puck. The Rangers then have four players to the opposing teams' three players on the ice, with a second defender being wary of him too. I didn't see him fall down a lot with the puck in the playoffs. I didn't see him get off great shots near the net, and in fact saw him shy away at times, but I did think he was pretty strong on the puck and created space for his linemates and very often Stepan has room with which to operate with the puck with Nash.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
This is quite possibly the worst argument I've ever read on this forum. :amazed:

Not really an argument just kinda sick of people using the contract against him. He was brought in to improve our offense. He has led the team in goals every year he's been here. 7.8 really isn't that bad when you consider Cally and Dubi got almost 6.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Not really an argument just kinda sick of people using the contract against him. He was brought in to improve our offense. He has led the team in goals every year he's been here. 7.8 really isn't that bad when you consider Cally and Dubi got almost 6.

I don't totally disagree as to why he was brought in, but the notion was this team was a playoff contender and were a "Nash" away from perhaps really contending, and even winning the Cup in the next few seasons. The expectation of him was to be as good in the playoffs as he would be during the regular season. The goal is to win, and keep winning. Obviously you need a good regular season to make the playoffs, and Nash did help get this team to the playoffs, but his team kept playing, and he's expected, and paid, to keep playing in a way that is commiserate with his pay. He disappointed two seasons in a row. There is zero doubt about it. Many will look at it as the team being a big goal away from the series looking a bit different, and Nash is the highest paid forward, and it would have been nice to have seen him score that one. Most others played to their pay and expectation. He didn't, and thus has become the goat.

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

So do you think Nash has improved our offense since he's been here?

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
And Dubinsky was on the ice for only two of Crosby's secondary assists anyway. Crosby scored most of his points in that series when he wasn't matched up against Dubi.

Crosby played better vs. the Blue Jackets than he did vs. the Rangers. Crosby didn't play that well these past playoffs no matter who he faced up against. Plus, he spent most of that series vs. Dubinsky. The only 3 players he was on the ice at ES against more these playoffs were Girardi, McDonagh, and Johnson.

I thought Dubinsky's play in the post season was overrated.

So in your world anything you say is valid response to anything, as long as you can say it's 'a fact'.

Priceless.

It is a fact though.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
A fact is the worst argument you've read on this forum?

That is perfect.

is it a technical fact? There are obvious implications. When you sign a contract it is implied (or clearly stated) that you will play the playoff games. If the contract signed by the player doesn't cover the playoffs, then the player would not be able to play in those games, as it being a union sport, only those in the union can play. So technically, or factually, the contract, which says what the player gets paid, extends to the playoffs and while he doesn't get "more" for those playoffs games, he doesn't get less either since the contract covers the season. His "game rate" decreases as he plays more games. Sucks to be him. It's like overtime...not everyone gets overtime play, but sometimes you have to work more than 9-6 (heck, would this argument extend to games in the regular season that go into OT?). So, ok, it's a fact e doesn't get "any more" but we're playing with words. You sign a contract and your expected to perform in each game you play, and that includes the playoff. Yea, it's not a great argument when talking about a person's play in the playoffs. saying he's not paid for the playoffs is similar to saying, yea, he did suck, but he wasn't paid so why should he show up.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I don't think anyone will say that Nash's playoffs weren't disappointing. I, along with others, did think he played well at points and did exceptionally well in other facets of the game but he does have to score. I'm still waiting for a solution from the anti-Nash crowd though. How are we replacing him? You don't toss a 30+ goal scorer out the window. And yes, he's a 30 goal scorer for this team. It's not Nash's fault that the NHL locked out and that Brad Stuart decided to hit him in the head and concuss him. If he plays a full season the past two years, he hits 30.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I don't think anyone will say that Nash's playoffs weren't disappointing. I, along with others, did think he played well at points and did exceptionally well in other facets of the game but he does have to score. I'm still waiting for a solution from the anti-Nash crowd though. How are we replacing him? You don't toss a 30+ goal scorer out the window. And yes, he's a 30 goal scorer for this team. It's not Nash's fault that the NHL locked out and that Brad Stuart decided to hit him in the head and concuss him. If he plays a full season the past two years, he hits 30.

Two questions -

1) The last two years is all well and good - do you think Nash is a 30 goal scorer the next two years? And the two years after that?

2) Do you think Nash will start scoring in the playoffs, or is the Nash we've seen in the playoffs the last two years, the playoff Nash we should expect going forward?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Two questions -

1) The last two years is all well and good - do you think Nash is a 30 goal scorer the next two years? And the two years after that?

2) Do you think Nash will start scoring in the playoffs, or is the Nash we've seen in the playoffs the last two years, the playoff Nash we should expect going forward?

1) Yes. Yes.

2) No way of knowing that, we can only hope he scores some goals. Barry Bonds was terrible in the playoffs for years and then went off. Datsyuk too. There are a million examples of players who put it together eventually. We don't really have a choice but to find out if Nash is one of them. He's very green with playoff hockey.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Two questions -

I do think he is the next two years and to be honest, all I'm worried about is next year. We can re-evaluate where Nash is during next years offseason. He's going to be a member of this team for the next season whether we like it or not. Has he shown any indication that he isn't going to be a 30 goal scorer? He had a bad playoff in 2013 yet still put up 26 goals in 65 games this season.

I don't really know what to expect to be honest. I do agree with some that his game may not lend itself to the playoffs where space is much harder to come by and that's an adjustment he has to make. I'm willing to take my chances though with his skill set. It's one thing if the guy was completely invisible and wasn't getting chances but the chances are there. Do you think Rick Nash is going to shoot at a 3.6% clip again?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad